Seattle Mariners @ Arizona Diamondbacks Jul 28-30

Chapow

Reaction score
Damn. I know he's been heating up lately and all, but when's the last time Julio came through with a big time hit in a big time moment to tie or win a game? Sure seems like it's been awhile, and it sure seems like he's had quite a few opportunities lately.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Is it me or has Julio been very not clutch? Today’s game summed up our entire season.

stack55

Reaction score
That’s the 2nd game this week we have had a chance to win or go ahead
with Julio up at bat and the 3rd out.

The mariners were 0 for 10, or 0 for 11, witH RISP tonight.
not good.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Julio has been awful in the clutch. Brock pulled up some stats earlier in the week on 710. He's been absolutely dreadful. The last 3 losses for the Ms have been by a score of 4-3 with a chance to win. Brutal. Gotta win tomorrow.

Just when you think they are turning the corner they go 0-whatever with RISP.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
That’s the 2nd game this week we have had a chance to win or go ahead
with Julio up at bat and the 3rd out.

The mariners were 0 for 10, or 0 for 11, witH RISP tonight.
not good.
In fairness, they did have 2 sac flies. The way they present that stat is a little off. ;)

About what was posted above, yeah Julio has not been clutch this year much at all. Ty France has been largely non-existent. The Big Dumper has been taking a big dump as well. Even Geno has been off all year, though he has had some clutch hits from time to time. Most of the guys who carried us last season have been struggling.

Cade Marlowe is making a statement. Nice triple in the 8th. Not his fault the guys couldn't get him home.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I know it isn't easy hitting pitches, but big-bucks Julio electing to swing at that strike-three pitch, which was nowhere near the plate, was nothing short of fascinating.

balakoth

Reaction score
I know it isn't easy hitting pitches, but big-bucks Julio electing to swing at that strike-three pitch, which was nowhere near the plate, was nothing short of fascinating.
I told my wife.. watch Julio is going to flail at that down and off the plate slider (ended up being a splitter) sure enough

And for whatever reason Hernandez does that alot as well.. This HAS to be a coaching issue yeah? You don't just regress so poorly instantly?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Low and away is a pretty common hole for right hand power hitters. Nelson Cruz suffered from the exact same hole in his swing and when he was in a slump he was swinging at that low and away pitch constantly like Julio. He matured and learned to lay off it more as he aged and make the pitcher come back onto the plate but he still continued to struggle with it when slumping at different times throughout the year. Its like Cruz would get in swing mode and be swinging at that and then realized what he was doing and have to make himself lay off. Julio just isn't there yet. He'll learn, and if not then it's up to the coaches to convince him just to take the low and away pitch away completely, even the ones that are strikes. Most pitchers can't hot that for a strike consistently, most of the time it's a ball. I'd rather him strike out looking at low and away than him thinking he can catch everything out there and get himself out time after time. But Julio has to be convinced of that himself in order to change his mind set and do it...

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Nice way to finish the series and the road trip at 4-2, against teams we are chasing in the playoff hunt. :)

Looks like maybe, just maybe France is coming around with 3 hits today. Only singles, but he has to start somewhere and get his timing in. Hopefully those doubles to right field are on the near horizon. We need him for the stretch run.

Great start for Castillo, and kudos to the O for scoring a few runs early and giving him some cushion to win his first in several starts.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Damn. I know he's been heating up lately and all, but when's the last time Julio came through with a big time hit in a big time moment to tie or win a game? Sure seems like it's been awhile, and it sure seems like he's had quite a few opportunities lately.
8th inning vs Minny. Homered to tie the game.

balakoth

Reaction score
Also, the Angels are behind us and buying... I dont feel we can, as why would we give up some of that prime talent ready to come up (Id rather see Hancock at this point than Woo.. solid pitcher nice fast ball but cant strike anyone out or good for more than 4 innings it seems)

EDIT: Sorry they WERE behind us as of yesterday, but still as close as us..

balakoth

Reaction score
Sweep Boston, have Tampa beat up Yankees, then have Yankees sweep houston, and boston lose the series to Toronto?

Im literally scenario wishful thinking at this point

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think we make a late season push but come up a few games short. You can’t just dink around for most the season and then try to turn it on the last 50 or so games.

It will take at least 90 wins to make the playoffs, but with how good the AL is, my guess would be 92-93. Unless we go a historic run, I can’t see us going from 3 games above .500 to 23 or 24 games above .500. It’s too little too late.

I’m very curious to see what Dipoto does. We are very much in no mans land. 4.5 GB feels somewhat close but also far, and we have one bad stretch and we are done.

Latest posts