Minnesota Twins @ Seattle Mariners Jul 17-19

Crizilla

Reaction score
Sweet makes his MLB debut in a big spot to try and keep the game a 1 run game. Gives up 2 run homer. Bad move Scott.

13 strikeouts today overall. Getting out played offensively by Det and Minn, 2 teams that are about as bad as the Ms offense. That tells you a lot. Can't wait to listen to 710 in the morning and have them ignore the hitting coaches like they have been for the last 2 years. Seriously nobody covering this team has brought up their hitting coaches. Not once. So bizarre.

Why not bring up some hitting prospects? Teams all around the league are. Why not the Ms? Do something.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sweet makes his MLB debut in a big spot to try and keep the game a 1 run game. Gives up 2 run homer. Bad move Scott.

13 strikeouts today overall. Getting out played offensively by Det and Minn, 2 teams that are about as bad as the Ms offense. That tells you a lot. Can't wait to listen to 710 in the morning and have them ignore the hitting coaches like they have been for the last 2 years. Seriously nobody covering this team has brought up their hitting coaches. Not once. So bizarre.

Why not bring up some hitting prospects? Teams all around the league are. Why not the Ms? Do something.
I remember circa 2010-2013 when our base running became a practical joke, neither of our base coaches seemed to be at risk. Eventually the problem corrected itself, somehow.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Well they called up Marlow, only because Kelenic broke his foot kicking a water cooler. Lol.

Why is Ford batting 4th? That spot is for proven big leaguers only. Few days ago he had Cal there who is batting .184 with runners in scoring position, now he has Ford there. WHY? Teo should be there. Every time Scott moves Ford up in the line up he struggles. He thinks Ford has earned that spot in what? A month? CLUELESS.

Last edited:

Chapow

Reaction score
Why is Ford batting 4th? That spot is for proven big leaguers only. Few days ago he had Cal there who is batting .184 with runners in scoring position, now he has Ford there. WHY? Teo should be there. Every time Scott moves Ford up in the line up he struggles. He thinks Ford has earned that spot in what? A month? CLUELESS.

This didn't age well.

Lol

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
This didn't age well.

Lol
Well, to be fair, he was 0 for 3 going into that dinger. :LOL:

Salvaged the split, at least. But we're playing a lot of teams ahead of us in the rac over the next few weeks. Need to start winning, and winning often.

Chapow

Reaction score

True. But also to be fair, we have no "proven big leaguers" on this team that have been playing consistently well. Outside of JP and our backup catcher, every single other guy is either underperforming or is just straight up having a poor season.

Ford has over 100 AB's at the big league level this season at this point. That is a big enough sample size to be able to make an educated decision on where he should be hitting in the lineup. Especially when all of the other options have been very inconsistent and have just been generally underperforming over the course of the season.

Ford's hitting stats are significantly better than Teo's across the board, and in categories that are very important for the 4 spot, like SLG and OPS, they are drastically better.

At this point, given how the season how gone so far, and given how everyone else on offense has been playing, Ford is honestly probably the best option for the 4 spot right now. If a manager let some goofy, made up, arbitrary "rule" like "proven big leaguers only in the 4 spot" dictate how he sets his lineup and lets that prevent him from putting his best option in the 4 spot, THAT would be CLUELESS.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
I dunno, but i believe you're over thinking it. ;)

Chapow

Reaction score
I dunno, but i believe you're over thinking it. ;)

You think? I dunno. I always kinda thought that the courteous thing to do was explain why if you're going to disagree with someone's opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Crizilla

Reaction score

Salvaged the split, at least. But we're playing a lot of teams ahead of us in the rac over the next few weeks. Need to start winning, and winning often.
He had 7 straight strikeouts before the dinger.

Chapow

Reaction score
He had 7 straight strikeouts before the dinger.

And Teo has led all of MLB in strikeouts the entire season until Schwarber took the lead a day or 2 ago. Now Teo is in 2nd, 1 strikeout behind.

If you're going to argue for Teo over Ford in the 4 spot, "because strikeouts" is the worst possible argument.

Crizilla

Reaction score
And Teo has led all of MLB in strikeouts the entire season until Schwarber took the lead a day or 2 ago. Now Teo is in 2nd, 1 strikeout behind.

If you're going to argue for Teo over Ford in the 4 spot, "because strikeouts" is the worst possible argument.
Teo is batting decent with runners in scoring position and that's what you want at the 3 and 4 spots. I'll eat my words if Ford gets hot at the 4 spot I'll have no problem with that. That home run was his first hit at the 4 hole.

Chapow

Reaction score
Teo is batting decent with runners in scoring position and that's what you want at the 3 and 4 spots.

You're right. Teo has been decent with RISP despite his insanely high K rate. I was never trying to say that Teo shouldn't be in the 4 spot. What I was arguing against is the notion that giving Ford an opportunity at the 4 spot was some kind of egregiously horrible, unthinkably bad decision by Servais. As I already said a few posts ago, Ford's hitting stats are better across the board. His SLG and OPS are drastically better. This offense has been struggling really badly since the all star break. Servais is trying to do something to inject a little life into it. Now go compare their stats for July. Very similar sample size for both players. Teo has been, quite frankly, horrible. Ford has been very, very good. If you really can't see how it makes all the sense in the world to give Ford a shot at the 4 spot at this point, then I really don't know what else to say other than I couldn't possibly disagree any more strongly.

I'll eat my words if Ford gets hot at the 4 spot I'll have no problem with that. That home run was his first hit at the 4 hole.

It was his second game at the 4 spot. He has 8 total AB's in that spot. Meanwhile, Teo has spent much of the season at the 4 spot, and our offense has generally stunk. Maybe time to try something different instead of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, eh?