Is Geno Clutch Enough Now?

After the OT win against the Lions, would you call Geno "Clutch"?

• Absolutely. That's what I have been waiting to see out of him.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Um, not so fast. I need to see a larger sample size.

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

Hawknight

Reaction score
It's still early to make any rational judgements, although impressed with the game winning throw in overtime this last weekend. He's the Jekyll and Hyde QB in my view currently as with the Rams game in Week 1, barely having any yardage with the offense in the entire 2nd half is a red flag. I understand we had the injuries and all, but a clutch QB should at least in theory overcome such deficiencies. Like others have said as well, taking the 17 yard sack to keep the other team in the game doesn't quite yell out "clutch". Finishing a game which most thought we would lose however does. I'll need a few more games before i can choose whether Geno is that clutch QB or not. Consider me on the fence for now. IMHO.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This reminds me of when everyone was saying Clipboard Jesus was the guy when he lead the touchdown drive versus the Rams that sent us to the playoffs back in 2010. Haha

Granted Geno is much better than Charlie Whitehurst ever was but I still need to see it on a consistent basis and against stiffer competition like the Eagles and 49ers.
Clutchness is flukey. It's only applicable in certain scenarios.

Whitehurst was dogshit on the regular, though, where as Geno hasn't been. Therein lies the difference. Not sure how the scenarios are even remotely similar.

White Devil

Reaction score
Geno was fired up and played awesome. It was a great bounce back game. You could tell he was frustrated week one, but week two he was calm, cool and collected almost the entire game.

Is he a young super star athlete? nope.

He's a solid, mature, smart man playing one of the toughest positions in all of sports. There are 32 people in the world getting paid to do what he does. He's better than at least 17 of them.

Give Geno the respect he deserves.

He got his 2nd chance, and the man is running with it.

I suggest getting onboard and just enjoying the ride, because Pete loves it just as much.

Don't write back, Geno!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was Clutch yesterday for sure. I'm not all the way at the point of saying he's a legit beast. But his stock is rising, imo.
And again, I was very impressed with him yesterday. He made a couple bone headed mistakes yesterday, like many QB's do.
He redeemed himself, that's truly all that matter, imo.
And for the record, Geno is light years better than Clipboard Jesus ever was.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You angry good because you better be unless you like McVay and Shan Jr making us irrelevant until we have a new offensive minded coach paired with a real DC and a starter level quarterback otherwise be angry and don't be shocked with 8-9/9-8 until a change of ownership and a complete housecleaning occurs.
Oh brother, not the "offensive minded" stuff rearing it's head again.

Good head coaches are good head coaches. Culture, chemistry, and leadership matter more for those spots than nitty gritty unit coordination details do.

I'd hate to have that be my prerequisite for a coach hire, instead of just hiring the most promising individual.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree until we have to play the teams that actually are relevant or Sean McVay it's not good that he owns us regardless and San Francisco will destroy us not counting Dallas or Philadelphia or the top 5 or more AFC teams.

Good lord can't you just enjoy a very nice road victory? Freakin' Eeyore here.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Oh brother, not the "offensive minded" stuff rearing it's head again.

Good head coaches are good head coaches. Culture, chemistry, and leadership matter more for those spots than nitty gritty unit coordination details do.

I'd hate to have that be my prerequisite for a coach hire, instead of just hiring the most promising individual.
No doubt.....Whitehurst wasn't even good enough to be a backup much less a starting QB. Not even a good comp with Geno.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
It's not so much I'm comparing the two but pointing out how I remember people crowning Charlie Whitehurst the bright star before he had done anything. Of course Geno is massively better. My point is more that we need to see Geno do what he did yesterday on a consistent basis and finish drives instead of settling for field goals that the kicker misses. We wouldn't have needed to go to overtime if the two missed field goals lead to touchdowns instead. He also needs to learn to finish games. He does these things and against top level competition in the playoffs in particular I'll be ready to call him "the guy". I like Geno and how he's overcome so many odds. So I have belief he can. I just need to see it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The biggest thing that I respect about Geno is his desire to get better and working hard at getting better. I’m one of his biggest detractors on here but I can see his growth in certain areas. Even from last season.

Charlie Whitehurst (once Hasselbeck left) and Matt Flynn thought they were going to get handed the starting gig with the Seahawks. Doesn’t work that way. TJack beat clipboard Jesus and Russ beat out Flynn. Geno beat out Lock through hard work. I respect Geno’s work ethic.

With that said, I’d like to see Geno start runnng forward more when has a lot of green field in front of him and no one is open, instead of sideways or backwards.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With that said, I’d like to see Geno start runnng forward more when has a lot of green field in front of him and no one is open, instead of sideways or backwards.

Didn't Geno have 3-4 runs of over 15 yards yesterday?

White Devil

Reaction score
Thought about that yesterday too. I don't want to get to that nervous about the kicker crap again, but I'm there..........
*Off-topic* But that first kick yesterday was hysterical. My first thought was that it was a 10am start was he zoning out on the sideline? I mean, a complete shank.

Latest posts