Is Geno Clutch Enough Now?

After the OT win against the Lions, would you call Geno "Clutch"?

• Absolutely. That's what I have been waiting to see out of him.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Um, not so fast. I need to see a larger sample size.

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
One of the biggest debates about Geno is whether he was "clutch" in the 4th (or OT) to win the game for us.

I think yesterday was our answer. Outside of that knucklehead 17 yard sack he took late in the 4th, he was simply magnificent. That drive in OT to win the game was perfection.

So what do you think? Did that game change your mind on the Clutch Factor when it comes to Geno, or do you need to see more evidence until you can truly call him "Clutch"?

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
This game and the game last year against the rams where he threw the game winner to DK show he has the potential.

Geno has the talent but like with any QB it’s the decision making that can be the difference. When Geno is on it like yesterday he can be great.
An example is Josh Allen last Monday night against the Jets. We all know Josh allen is physically more gifted than Geno but his decision making was terrible and cost them the game.

Yesterdays game for Geno showed he can elevate other players. I loved what I saw and more so the execution of a self aware game plan. They didn’t get cute, they did what they had to do. He did exactly what he needed to do and involved everyone. Makes you think what he could do if he had got his head right and been in a better situation when he was younger.

rjdriver

Reaction score
If people expect him to be Tom Brady or Pat Mahomes they will always be disappointed. Even though the sack left me dumbfounded, what concerned me more (or just as much) was the goal line throw that was almost pick sixed.

He does tend to rush some throws in crucial situations and I remember he had a lot of "balls that should have been picked" or some stat like that last year.

Geno needed this win, and I'm happy as heck for him. He is clutch enough that if we play our game, get the new guys more reps, and continue to improve, we can play with anyone in the league.

Bottom line is he was amazing yesterday. On the road, in a super hostile environment, he had zero picks, and he led the O to 37 points.

hoxrox

Reaction score
He's both clutch and anti-clutch. Do I have confidence he can come from behind and score TDs when needed? Absolutely.

Does he still make questionable decisions at times? Yes.

Does the good outweigh the bad? Yes. There were many pressure and blitz situations in that game where he navigated the pocket masterfully and found the open man just at the right time. Some other QB might have hesitated, scrambled and taken a sack..

If Waldron continues to call a good game, and the protection is there, Geno will do just fine.

BASF

Reaction score
If people expect him to be Tom Brady or Pat Mahomes they will always be disappointed. Even though the sack left me dumbfounded, what concerned me more (or just as much) was the goal line throw that was almost pick sixed.

He does tend to rush some throws in crucial situations and I remember he had a lot of "balls that should have been picked" or some stat like that last year.

Geno needed this win, and I'm happy as heck for him. He is clutch enough that if we play our game, get the new guys more reps, and continue to improve, we can play with anyone in the league.

Bottom line is he was amazing yesterday. On the road, in a super hostile environment, he had zero picks, and he led the O to 37 points.
The offense only scored thirty, with the pick six accounting for the other seven.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
If its any consolation, I don't see a whole lot of clutch QB play right now in this early season. I see a lot of mistakes being made all over the place on every team. A lot of QB's look lost. And so do their receivers.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I don't think he's clutch. He seldom drives the ball down field and he is prone to panic in pressure situations. I actually prefer the dink-and-dunk style of play he brings that moves the chains and keeps constant pressure on the defense, but he doesn't elevate his play when it's inside two minutes or the pass must reach the marker to keep the drive alive.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Confidence and opportunities, that's all Geno was missing with this question.

I'd still like him to erase the game crushing mistakes late in games, like the 17 yard sack that I'm pretty sure everyone including myself thought was the end of yesterday's game.

But IMO Geno's now shown on multiple occasions, and should show us more and more as the season goes along that he can be clutch when it matters, and not let the moment get too big.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
One of the biggest debates about Geno is whether he was "clutch" in the 4th (or OT) to win the game for us.

I think yesterday was our answer. Outside of that knucklehead 17 yard sack he took late in the 4th, he was simply magnificent. That drive in OT to win the game was perfection.

So what do you think? Did that game change your mind on the Clutch Factor when it comes to Geno, or do you need to see more evidence until you can truly call him "Clutch"?
On one hand, that knucklehead sack at that time of the game was the literal definition of anti-clutch. The defense bailed his ass out to give him a 50-50 shot at redemption. I’m not sure I’m ready to crown him yet after a coin flip saved his/our ass/asses.

On the other hand, he balled out the rest of the game, including coolly leading the team down the field and delivered a great ball on a broken play with pressure in his face. During regulation, the called back TD to Metcalf, after the snap was fumbled was a case study in keeping calm and finishing the play.

So, great way to put a big ✅ in the pro column but it isn’t time to crown him yet. Not when he lucked out of being the goat of the game for that unbelievable sack.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
One one hand, that knucklehead sack at that time of the game was the literal definition of anti-clutch. The defense bailed his ass out to give him a 50-50 shot at redemption. I’m not sure I’m ready to crown him yet after a coin flip saved his/our ass/asses.

On the other hand, he balled out the rest of the game, including coolly leading the team down the field and delivered a great ball on a broken play with pressure in his face. During regulation, the called back TD to Metcalf, after the snap was fumbled was a case study in keeping calm and finishing the play.

So, great way to put a big ✅ in the pro column but it isn’t time to crown him yet. Not when he lucked out of being the goat of the game for that unbelievable sack.

He was also bailed out by the tentative playcalling of the Lions after that punt.

For as aggressive of a HC as Campbell is? I thought he was WAY too conservative playing for the FG, with what, over a minute left and two TO's? Why he wasn't more aggressive going for the win I'm sure is what all of Detroit sports talk radio is talking about today.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
One one hand, that knucklehead sack at that time of the game was the literal definition of anti-clutch. The defense bailed his ass out to give him a 50-50 shot at redemption. I’m not sure I’m ready to crown him yet after a coin flip saved his/our ass/asses.

The result of the sack was about 15 lost yards. They were losing possession anyway, nothing was open and the pass rush was closing in.

Geno had the right idea to run the clock down past the two minute warning in the absence of an open target, but made a mistake worth about 15 yards by holding the ball. He didn't cause a turnover or anything.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The sack was annoying and looked dumb, but it wasn't the butt fumble type of error it's being made out to be.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was dumb, he said as much. But it doesn't matter one bit, because he came back and was nails. All QB's make mistakes, it's how you bounce back from it. He was laser focused in OT when it mattered.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
This is splitting hairs. In addition to the pick 6, we also had two missed FG.
And missed 4 points on the Metcalf face mask. People are so obsessed with Myers’ missed FGs but gloss over a stupid penalty that cost us a TD.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
The result of the sack was about 15 lost yards. They were losing possession anyway, nothing was open and the pass rush was closing in.

Geno had the right idea to run the clock down past the two minute warning in the absence of an open target, but made a mistake worth about 15 yards by holding the ball. He didn't cause a turnover or anything.
Those 15 yards could’ve been the difference of being in FG range or not. It turned out ok but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a monumental mistake at the worst possible time. Since this post is about being clutch or not, it’s very impactful to the answer, IMO.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Depending on what Caleb decides and yes because of Nil he's under no need to declare as has mentioned his decision hinges entirely on which team has the top pick.