Is Geno Clutch Enough Now?

After the OT win against the Lions, would you call Geno "Clutch"?

• Absolutely. That's what I have been waiting to see out of him.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Um, not so fast. I need to see a larger sample size.

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

Rainger

Reaction score
Josh Allen is a beast. But......he's 0-5 in overtime games.
And many on here who would call RW a HOF qb would never question him. He went to supposedly better team . Team Russ 5 wins in 2 years team Geno 10. Hmmmmmm.

Oh that's right I'm sorry I forgot it is the coaches and olines that RW has.

Geno greater than the beloved RW by a long shot. Proof in the pudding.

You guys still waiting to see more don't need it. You just need to open your eyes and see. It.

LTH

Reaction score
One of the biggest debates about Geno is whether he was "clutch" in the 4th (or OT) to win the game for us.

I think yesterday was our answer. Outside of that knucklehead 17 yard sack he took late in the 4th, he was simply magnificent. That drive in OT to win the game was perfection.

So what do you think? Did that game change your mind on the Clutch Factor when it comes to Geno, or do you need to see more evidence until you can truly call him "Clutch"?
I can't see why there would be any question about Geno. It doesn't get much harder than it was against Detroit at home in their home opener. To me he answered all questions

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And many on here who would call RW a HOF qb would never question him. He went to supposedly better team . Team Russ 5 wins in 2 years team Geno 10. Hmmmmmm.

Oh that's right I'm sorry I forgot it is the coaches and olines that RW has.

Geno greater than the beloved RW by a long shot. Proof in the pudding.

You guys still waiting to see more don't need it. You just need to open your eyes and see. It.
Dear God man. We all get it. Russ is Satan, he was never good. He sucked. He never won any big games. Geno is better than Russ ever was. Blah blah blah.

Not EVERY thread has to turn in to a Russ thread. Dude has been gone since March of 2022. GTF over it........
He's gone, it's a good thing. We have a good thing going now. Good enough.

Rainger

Reaction score
Dear God man. We all get it. Russ is Satan, he was never good. He sucked. He never won any big games. Geno is better than Russ ever was. Blah blah blah.

Not EVERY thread has to turn in to a Russ thread. Dude has been gone since March of 2022. GTF over it........
He's gone, it's a good thing. We have a good thing going now. Good enough.
Just making comparison that Geno is a good QB nothing more.

And using evidence.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Russ was a beast in his prime. He no longer is. He's not our problem now.

Geno is a good QB who looks to be on the rise.
post above is some high caliber reality.
Russ was a fkn beast, we couldn’t beat him seemingly ever. jfc not even last year.
And Geno is dam good. Seems like he really clicked with his tight ends in that Lions game.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
Very few qbs do it consistently against upper level competition. They can be counted on 1 hand. Even Mahomes and Allen and Herbert and Burrows look pedestrian in many many games. Why does Geno have to prove it more?

Oh that's right the media and thus fans gush over those other qbs even when they look like shit.

Mahomes, Allen, and Burrows have all won playoff games and/or either been to the Super Bowl or won it. They've earned the right to have an off day. Herbert and Geno are in roughly the same group. They both have things to prove.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
Mahomes, Allen, and Burrows have all won playoff games and either been to the Super Bowl or won it. They've earned the right to have an off day. Herbert and Geno are in roughly the same group. They both have things to prove.
Mahomes is special, and just might go down as the GOAT before he is done. He's got a ways to go to catch up to Brady's SBs but if anyone can do it, he can. There's no other QB in the league like him.

Allen has not been to a Super Bowl.

Joe Burrow has PLENTY to prove after becoming the highest paid player in football. :)

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
Mahomes is special, and just might go down as the GOAT before he is done. He's got a ways to go to catch up to Brady's SBs but if anyone can do it, he can. There's no other QB in the league like him.

Allen has not been to a Super Bowl.

Joe Burrow has PLENTY to prove after becoming the highest paid player in football. :)

I agree on Mahomes.

Indeed. I forgot the "and/or". He hasn't but he revived the Bills from decades of poor QB play. He deserves a lot of credit for being a near 50% completion rate at Wyoming to where he is now. They're consistently in the hunt because of him. He just needs to learn to play a little smarter. It would help if they had a true running back.

Burrow does have a lot to prove now with his massive contract but it can't be discredited how he's taken the Bengals to the next level despite a sometimes terrible offensive line. Carson Palmer could've been a great but was never completely the same for them after his injury in the 2005 playoffs. Andy Dalton also had all of the talent to get to the next level but he turned the ball over too much to be consistent when he needed to be. He did lead them to the playoffs but he could never get them over the hump. I'd put him in the same group as Geno and Herbert if he were playing now.

Last edited:

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Geno is good enough for where we are right now. He fits this team well.

Hats off for the nice game yesterday.

He will ultimately be judged by how he performs against the heavy weights. SF and Philly specifically.

Soak it in, we could still be cookin’ with Russ……

AgentDib

Reaction score
My view is that nobody is clutch. There's a sizeable chunk of research that suggests the number of players who perform better than they normally do in key situations (Reggie Jackson) is what you would also expect due to luck alone.

Most of the time, "clutch" players are simply good players that do well most of the time. A famous example is Michael Jordan, who hit a lot of game winning shots and is often listed as the clutchest athlete in history. However, his efficiency in high leverage situations was statistically comparable to his normal efficiency. He was a good player who made a lot of shots, and a lot of those ended up being significant.

To relate it to the Seahawks, Lockett certainly had a clutch TD in OT to win the game yesterday. However, couldn't that just be because he's a good player and he tends to catch touchdowns when given the opportunity at any stage during the game? There's no evidence that he does better in high leverage situations than low leverage ones, he's just usually quite good. If you give good players opportunities in key moments they will tend to do well and you'll think they are clutch, even if they are only performing at their own average.

On the other hand, "Anti-clutch" does exist and some players do perform worse in important situations. There are very persuasive extreme examples of this such as Rick Ankiel or Bobby Ayala in baseball. However, in the vast majority of cases IMO this is completely overblown and any variance can be easily explained by a small sample size or playing better competition in bigger games.

For example, I've seen Hasselback on a number of national lists for "not being clutch." After all, he lost his only trip to the Super Bowl, and his most famous playoff moment is the guarantee that backfired. Seahawk fans can easily dispute that, pointing out many times when Hass made key completions in important situations, and how he had the significantly better performance in the Super Bowl than the opposing QB but many other factors besides his play swung the outcome.

As far as the topic goes, I don't see a reasonable case for considering Geno to be anti-clutch. He played well in relief of Russ in 2021 with minimal preparation, and the fact that we lost those first three games was fully a team effort. Lockett literally fell down on his only interception of that entire four game stretch. Last year, that opening game against the Broncos came with an intense level of pressure, and Geno responded by playing amazing.

Geno isn't perfect and he's certainly capable of making a game losing mistake, but he's also demonstrated plenty of game winning throws. He's a pretty good NFL QB who can succeed if given the right support around him, and the discussion about clutch is rooted in fans who are uncomfortable with the randomness that lies behind sports.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno is good enough for where we are right now. He fits this team well.

Hats off for the nice game yesterday.

He will ultimately be judged by how he performs against the heavy weights. SF and Philly specifically.

Soak it in, we could still be cookin’ with Russ……
Cookin' up something FIERCE

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Geno was fired up and played awesome. It was a great bounce back game. You could tell he was frustrated week one, but week two he was calm, cool and collected almost the entire game.

Is he a young super star athlete? nope.

He's a solid, mature, smart man playing one of the toughest positions in all of sports. There are 32 people in the world getting paid to do what he does. He's better than at least 17 of them.

Give Geno the respect he deserves.

He got his 2nd chance, and the man is running with it.

I suggest getting onboard and just enjoying the ride, because Pete loves it just as much.

Don't write back, Geno!
Dead facts.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
No not even close He is a career back up against the actual teams which is bad for us 2 of them are in our division and if we don't draft a real quarterback fast we are looking at last place for years.
Be angry at me but please understand NiL changed everything and Caleb doesn't need to get put in a terrible situation because he's going to do an Eli Manning on steroids. Don't be mad at me be mad as the the NFL that obviously allows dumping entire seasons Indianapolis keeps doing it and ruined Luck and are doing exactly the same with Richardson. Irsay is a horrible human being with the luck of having generational money. Arizona is even more obvious this year. And Geno isn't worth 40-50 million EVER. He isn't worth what he's getting this year at all.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The offense only scored thirty, with the pick six accounting for the other seven.
I don't think he's clutch. He seldom drives the ball down field and he is prone to panic in pressure situations. I actually prefer the dink-and-dunk style of play he brings that moves the chains and keeps constant pressure on the defense, but he doesn't elevate his play when it's inside two minutes or the pass must reach the marker to keep the drive alive.
^Not totally true; when it got down & dirty in OT, he took his team down field & threw a quick pass to Lockett and clinched the win.
I voted that I needed to see a little more from Geno, but in all but one bad play (like many other considered really good QB's do), he came through.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
^Not totally true; when it got down & dirty in OT, he took his team down field & threw a quick pass to Lockett and clinched the win.
I voted that I needed to see a little more from Geno, but in all but one bad play (like many other considered really good QB's do), he came through.
Typical he does good against a team that is pretty even with us and you think he's Tom Brady so do it against teams and coaches we need to be beat or it means nothing. Still 8-9/9-8 as usual I want change even if you don't. I was hoping that the wheels would fall off so Jody might actually give a **** but Pete is the master of barely average and almost relevant why can't he realize that the NFL has completely passed him by and just retire? Geno Smith and Drew Lock seriously?

Last edited: