Is Geno Clutch Enough Now?

After the OT win against the Lions, would you call Geno "Clutch"?

• Absolutely. That's what I have been waiting to see out of him.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Um, not so fast. I need to see a larger sample size.

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • No.

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

Mad Dog

Reaction score
This reminds me of when everyone was saying Clipboard Jesus was the guy when he lead the touchdown drive versus the Rams that sent us to the playoffs back in 2010. Haha

Granted Geno is much better than Charlie Whitehurst ever was but I still need to see it on a consistent basis and against stiffer competition like the Eagles and 49ers.

Absolutely no one said that at all. If anything that performance consolidated his backup status.

As I've said, the better comp to Geno is Matt Hasselbeck who with a great run game and OL did everything you needed from a QB. Geno is not going to scramble his way to elite status. he's going to need protection. If we build that for him, he'll win games.

There are only a handful of QB's that can seemingly win games on their own. The rest of the NFL deals with regular QB's that need a little help around them. They still succeed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
True but there were a few times where if he ran it would have resulted in chunk yardage and at least a 1st down, if not more.

Geno ran the ball very well yesterday, including a clutch run after the bogus intentional grounding and illegal formation penalties. So sorry, I can't get down with your criticism.

He also stepped up in the pocket multiple times making clutch throws with people in his face and getting hit. Some he should have done more last week. Also a sign of growth and tape improvement.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Geno ran the ball very well yesterday, including a clutch run after the bogus intentional grounding and illegal formation penalties. So sorry, I can't get down with your criticism.

He also stepped up in the pocket multiple times making clutch throws with people in his face and getting hit. Some he should have done more last week. Also a sign of growth and tape improvement.
That's fine with me. I was never seeking your approval on my opinion.

Last edited:

themunn

Reaction score
The biggest thing that I respect about Geno is his desire to get better and working hard at getting better. I’m one of his biggest distractors on here but I can see his growth in certain areas. Even from last season.

Charlie Whitehurst (once Hasselbeck left) and Matt Flynn thought they were going to get handed the starting gig with the Seahawks. Doesn’t work that way. TJack beat clipboard Jesus and Russ beat out Flynn. Geno beat out Lock through hard work. I respect Geno’s work ethic.

With that said, I’d like to see Geno start runnng forward more when has a lot of green field in front of him and no one is open, instead of sideways or backwards.
Well stop distracting him then and let him do his thing!

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
Absolutely no one said that at all. If anything that performance consolidated his backup status.

As I've said, the better comp to Geno is Matt Hasselbeck who with a great run game and OL did everything you needed from a QB. Geno is not going to scramble his way to elite status. he's going to need protection. If we build that for him, he'll win games.

There are only a handful of QB's that can seemingly win games on their own. The rest of the NFL deals with regular QB's that need a little help around them. They still succeed.

Some of my friends at the time said it. Haha

I hope Geno suceeds and can take the steps to be in the second category.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
One of the biggest debates about Geno is whether he was "clutch" in the 4th (or OT) to win the game for us.

I think yesterday was our answer. Outside of that knucklehead 17 yard sack he took late in the 4th, he was simply magnificent. That drive in OT to win the game was perfection.

So what do you think? Did that game change your mind on the Clutch Factor when it comes to Geno, or do you need to see more evidence until you can truly call him "Clutch"?
The ONLY problem that I had with Geno yesterday:

Not pulling it down and running on about 3 plays - particularly when he could have made the 1st down. Dunno if he misread it, or he's been told not to run as much, or what. And, not seeing Bobo open last week with a TD in front of him - I'm chalking it up as a brain fart or 2. Dude can't be perfect.

Other than that - my usual "Geno for Prez!" routine -

We got 99 problems, and a clutch-less Geno aint one!

Further - you'd think with the horsepower that we have all over the place - that he shouldn't have as many chances to prove his clutch-worthyness this year. Glad we won yesterday - but that's not a recipe for long term success.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
TOTALLY agree with you. I was very impressed with his pocket presence on quite a number of plays. Stuff that I thought would have triggered a ME3 whiling dervish run around the schoolyard festival -

IMO Geno's pocket presence is, if not light years ahead of last season, improved at least.

On the flip side, when they lost one of THEIR tackles yesterday - Goff just about pissed his pants. Straight up sucked dog crap for a few possessions - you could see our pressure killing them for a bit.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’d suggest that my hope is we never actually know.

I believe he can remain cool in the heat of a moment but I’d rather he doesn’t have to be “clutch”.

I know my hope is an unlikely one but it is what it is.

So far, Geno looks “clutch” enough.
Time will tell if he’s one of those guys that always scares teams in that last drive to win scenario.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
One of the biggest debates about Geno is whether he was "clutch" in the 4th (or OT) to win the game for us.

I think yesterday was our answer. Outside of that knucklehead 17 yard sack he took late in the 4th, he was simply magnificent. That drive in OT to win the game was perfection.

So what do you think? Did that game change your mind on the Clutch Factor when it comes to Geno, or do you need to see more evidence until you can truly call him "Clutch"?
Need a bigger sample size. Too early to say.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I’d suggest that my hope is we never actually know.

I believe he can remain cool in the heat of a moment but I’d rather he doesn’t have to be “clutch”.

I know my hope is an unlikely one but it is what it is.

So far, Geno looks “clutch” enough.
Time will tell if he’s one of those guys that always scares teams in that last drive to win scenario.

All QB's need to be clutch at times in seasons, games, series. It's what separates the greats from the average.

Do we want Geno to have to come from behind game after game in the 4th quarters or overtime? No, you're right there. It means the rest of the team is letting him down and putting too much on his shoulders.

But yes, he needs to be clutch at times. The margin for error in the NFL is far too small to not need your QB to make clutch plays down the stretch of games.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

The illegal formation flag was not bogus. He was almost 2 yards behind the LOS. That's a flag every time.

Rainger

Reaction score
The problem with all the "not sure" and "can't win the big one" and "he still needs to prove to me" people is they look at one bad play here and one bad play there and say "see I am right".

But EVERY qb in the nfl even the greats all do that. Geno has proven he is a top 10 QB.

But the naysayers will still be shouting at every throw that might have been picked and say "see he is only an average qb" or some other dribble because they have been indoctrinated by the media hacks about his past.

It takes the whole team. When given the right play and protection and execution around him Geno is off the charts good and throws one of the best balls in the NFL.

I can assure you RW would not have won that game yesterday and rolled out into 7 sacks.

I will bet this conversation will be held in .net next year questioning if Geno is "good enough" and the same nay sayers will still be saying "I need to see more". They will never be satisfied.

Book it!

QWERTY

Reaction score

I think this is a massive overreactive.

Geno is good against teams with bad D.

Let's see how he does against the teams with good D.

Panthers, Cards, Browns, Ravens, 49ers, Rams, Cowboys, Eagles.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Cards have a good D? That's why they allowed the Giants to come back from a 28-7 deficit. What prolific defensive showing.

WmHBonney

Reaction score

I don't think I would classify the Lions' D as "bad". They may not be elite, but they are decent. They have good players at all three levels.

Rainger

Reaction score
I like Geno and want to see him do well. I just need to see it consistently against upper level competition.
Very few qbs do it consistently against upper level competition. They can be counted on 1 hand. Even Mahomes and Allen and Herbert and Burrows look pedestrian in many many games. Why does Geno have to prove it more?

Oh that's right the media and thus fans gush over those other qbs even when they look like shit.