Pick #123, 4th Round: WR Kevin Norwood, Alabama

hawk45

Reaction score
If Pete and John are giddy I'm whacked-out giddy after reading this thread and watching the highlight vid. I LOVE this type of guy.

Like Richardson for the speed and this guy for the height and possession, love that both guys have route-running mentioned in connection with their names. That was Golden's biggest hurdle to contributing quickly. Run a good route and Russell will have it memorized by end of camp and be diming you all day when he's blitzed or flushed out the pocket.

jake206

Reaction score
From Seattle Times:

Schneider on the traits of Norwood that stand out: “He’s 6’2”, he’s 4.47, he’s long, he has big hands, he has a savviness about him as a route runner, he can drop his hips, he knows exactly where the sticks are, he works very well with quarterbacks. Works back to quarterbacks real well. You could see with A.J., he helped A.J. out a lot. A.J. talked about him a lot, that he was his go-to guy. He always knew where he was going to be. He was super steady, and he’s deceptive down the field because, you’ll see. I don’t want to say silky smooth, or anything like that, but he’s got a smoothness about him, but he’s got more power than you think, too. He’s a little bit more of a gainer down the field than you would think. He has very good body control, and he has really quick feet, and he gets his head around real quick, and he has real quick eyes. I can’t believe we were able to draft him, it’s pretty neat.”

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3n2h5fz2 said:
The competition for the last couple of WR spots will be intense.

Safe:
Harvin
Baldwin
Kearse
Richardson

Will Compete:
Rice
Norwood
Lockette
Price
Bates
Matthews
Walters
Clark

I don't think they carry 7 WR's so .. Bring on the competition

Norwood is an absolute lock (imo) and I think Lockette makes the 53 as well. I have a feeling we will pass as often as we run this year so IF Rice proves to be healthy, I won't be stunned if we carry 7. As slight as Richardson is, combined with the history of Rice and Harvin, I think it would be a wise decision to do so (and carry one less back).

MrCarey

Reaction score
I think I am most excited for this guy. Holy crap he has a high ceiling, and he looks like he is already a beast.

G-Money

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2xvgdynq said:
They just played a great feature on Norwood on NFL Network. He has overcome a lot, something the Hawks really look for. His hard work, dedication, and adversity helped him become a great WR at Alabama. Pure Seahawk pick.

Saw this too. Seems like a great kid with tremendous character and good ball skills. Like the pick very much!!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I see a lot of potential, especially because it sounds like he and Russ can develop into something special as they both extend the play. Is this guy basically another Kearse? In that short video he looks a lot like Kearse to me, just wondering if other people agree or disagree and why...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I don't see the age thing as an issue at all. He's actually only one year older than a lot of guys coming out, he just has an early birthday. He's also over a year younger than Golden Tate and come the end of his first contract he'll be 28, so will still have a few prime years left.

I really like this pick, looking forward to having him and ADB on 3rd downs.

Rainger

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3q34en6j said:
I don't see the age thing as an issue at all. He's actually only one year older than a lot of guys coming out, he just has an early birthday. He's also over a year younger than Golden Tate and come the end of his first contract he'll be 28, so will still have a few prime years left.

I really like this pick, looking forward to having him and ADB on 3rd downs.
I agree age is not an issue but for a different reason. I don't care if any of these guys get a second contract. Unless he is a superstar this FO will be re loading in every draft and by the time he is 28 looking for a contract there will be 3 or 4 new guys bigger faster stronger.

Only the elite will get second contracts with this team. So don't worry about age.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think we will slowly become a little more pass heavy team based on the number of WRs we have. We will still have the run game for sure and clock management and stuff like that, but RW is now in his 3rd year and he should now be lot more better with predicting and reading defenses and throwing the ball more comfortably to sure hands. Bevell will have an heck on an year with all of them here.