Pick #108, 4th Round: DE/LEO Cassius Marsh, UCLA

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how he is used within the defensive scheme. Seems pretty versatile.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing in his favor is that Pete recruited him so was very familiar with him, That and his height of 6'4".

Wouldn't surprise me though if he fails to make the team.

emurri

Reaction score
kearly":31mnvjo0 said:
Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.

I could be wrong, but I think Marsh will have more then four total tackles next year, unlike Simon.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
emurri":3aiypqnk said:
kearly":3aiypqnk said:
Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.

I could be wrong, but I think Marsh will have more then four total tackles next year, unlike Simon.

Ya, I couldn't really understand why Kearly went off on the John Simon rant.....Cassius will for sure do more.

godawg

Reaction score
John Simon was one of Kearly's favorite prospects last year and we could have drafted him but didn't. Very high motor. As I see it, the reason we drafted Marsh and not Simon, even though Simon was more productive in college, is that Marsh is 6'4" and Simon is 6'1". Marsh has more versatility because of his larger frame.

For someone who works so hard on the field, it would be nice to see him putting more time and effort into weight training. If he gets significantly stronger, he could be a force. Otherwise, he may find himself getting pushed around.