Pick #108, 4th Round: DE/LEO Cassius Marsh, UCLA

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":1ket5b45 said:
I'm curious about the weight thing. Where are people getting these 285/300# numbers from? I mean the combine numbers are often a bit off, but 50 #? :187734:

It came from his phone interview with the press corp. He was a sloppy 300# lineman as a freshman. He has since been working on his diet and playing weight.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3rctomx0 said:
Fararr just said he's definitely not a LEO. Said the hawks will bulk him up a bit and pay him inside and out (5tech).

Marsh came into UCLA at 300lbs. Said the hawks loved his versatility and the fact they can move him around

I look for Marsh to compete for a role similar to that anticipated for Boatwright.

McGruff

Reaction score
This guy will be an instant fan favorite. Entertaining on and off the field. Fights like mad between the lines. Definition of nasty.

You guys are going to love him

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kind of looks like a Jared Allen type..I like this guys attitude and toughness..He can stop running backs easily and reads those screens good..Another great pick from JS

Atradees

Reaction score
“My dad’s favorite athlete is Muhammad Ali [formerly Cassius Clay],’’ Marsh said. “And my mom liked it because in Greek it means strength. It’s a name that you have to live up to greatness. That’s why they gave it to me.” :thirishdrinkers:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seanhawk":11x7aahw said:
ImTheScientist":11x7aahw said:
Coug_Hawk08":11x7aahw said:
Don't think he will be Leo prospect, more like mike Bennett. He's up to 285 right now, played all over the line at ucla.
Link to his weight gain?

I'm thinking he ate more food.

This has been giving me random giggle fits for the past five minutes.

razgriz737

Reaction score
He said on twitter that the only piece of NFL apparel he kept from the combine was a Hawks hat. It was meant to be.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It's a really good pick. I even made my butler clap a few times!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":qu1yyy6h said:
This guy will be an instant fan favorite. Entertaining on and off the field. Fights like mad between the lines. Definition of nasty.

You guys are going to love him

"You guys?" So you're not a 'fan.' Gotcha.

kearly

Reaction score
Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.

Rainger

Reaction score
kearly":38xmr03z said:
Who was the UCLA DL that Seattle met with repeatedly a couple months ago? Was it Marsh or someone else? I remember him being a white guy who played in the front seven, whoever it was.

I'll be honest, this pick kind of pissed me off. Not because anything is wrong with Marsh, and not because of who we passed on to take him, but because of who we passed on last year. John Simon.

Marsh is basically John Simon 2.0, except Simon was much much better in almost every way. When Seattle passed on Simon repeatedly last year letting him slide to the late 4th, I just accepted it because I thought Seattle wasn't into that kind of player profile. But now that they've taken Marsh, it looks like they just didn't like Simon as much as they should have. Anyway, these guys obviously make up for it, but it's still kind of annoying. I guess the downside of giving regional scouts their due is some of them may not be all that talented as decision makers.

Marsh does look decently athletic on the field, though it's worth noting his combine numbers mostly sucked. Seattle usually favors combine heroes over guys with good tape, so this pick was very surprising to me.

His tape is pretty good though, he gives off some Justin Smith vibes. A badass in the phone booth, as Scotte would say. Of course, Smith is 33 pounds heavier, but Seattle loves to draft skinny guys and bulk them up, and that was never more apparent than in this draft.
Yes this is the guy. Still has a Hawks hat from the meeting. Said he met with entire staff including Pete

six sigma

Reaction score
Any chance this guy is actually a potential replacement at Sam if Wright leaves at next contract?

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":1k40iczp said:

I wouldn't say they sucked. 2nd fastest 20 yard shuttle and 3rd fastest 3 cone.

says to me he has pretty good explostion and quickness.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well based on the profiles of a lot of the players we picked up this year the Rams are gonna get punched back hard if they pull the shit they pulled last year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Smellyman":2injb72v said:
kearly":2injb72v said:

I wouldn't say they sucked. 2nd fastest 20 yard shuttle and 3rd fastest 3 cone.

says to me he has pretty good explostion and quickness.
Right. Good quickness/explosion and they think this guy can be an sub package inside pass rusher as well as playing DE. Really heavy handed player who they think is a lot like Bennett. Even played some 5 tech at UCLA because he's just a really tough player. Cassius has been up to 300 pounds at one point. I'd assume that he may actually put on some weight, but not back up to 300 pounds. I really think they had Bennett in mind when they drafted him.

jake206

Reaction score
From Seattle Times:

Carroll on how Marsh fits into the defense: “He’s always been a really good football player. His nature showed up as a kid. He’s really a hard-working, tough guy. He’s as aggressive and active as anybody that was in the draft. We love that motor that he brings. The chance to get reunited, and met the family, and all that way back when, watched him grow up through his high school days. It’s exciting to give him this opportunity to come to this club. He’s going to come with a real attitude. We’re really fired up about that.”

Carroll whether Marsh will play tackle: “He’s going to play end, he’s going to rush inside on third down situations for us, and compete at that spot. He has a lot of versatility, he can do a lot of things If you watched it closely, he logged some plays on offense at times. We think he’ll contribute in a lot of ways. This is a real classic guy for us and that we think he can do a lot of different things. We’re going to try to work it out and figure out how we can best situate it, so he can take advantage of that.”

Carroll on comparing Marsh to Michael Bennett: “Because Michael has so much flexibility, and Cassius likewise does, we think. In essence, he’s follow Michael around a little bit about the different spots that we play. And then we’ll create his own scenario, but it will take some time to get that figured out.”

On playing Marsh on offense in the red zone: “Carroll: Honestly, we’ve already talked about that, that’s a consideration. He’s already shown that he can do that. Schneider: He’s got great hands. His workout as a tight end was excellent. I’m serious. I know you think I’m messing around, but I’m being serious.”

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1itcm6fb said:
What off field issues? Google doesn't show anything but a game ejection and possible discipline for that.

Also:

Pick Analysis: "Pete Carroll has never been afraid of an off-field challenge. He is gifted. I think he's an outside linebacker-defensive end 'tweener. But there are some questions about him off the field." -- Mike Mayock

Anyone know what the off-field stuff is?

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Marsh doesn't have any off the field issues. He has been suspended twice for fighting on the field/in practice.