2nd Round, Pick #49 Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
jake206":17eyhtnt said:
Best pick out all 3 rounds...potential plug and play player. Hopefully he can develop some pass-rush moves too, heard he only knows bull-rush. Grades out as best run stuffer DT in draft. I look forward to seeing him play next year.

Totally agree. Our best pick so far.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":18r5j0jw said:
I'd rather have a free agent like Terrance Knighton for $2.5 million per year than a similar player in the draft for a 2nd round pick. From a moneyball perspective, draft picks should be about saving money, and this pick saves less money than most of the other options would have.

That said, I do like the player. If Seattle just wanted to play it safe here than this was a good pick for that. I see this pick as hitting for par. You could do better, but you could also do worse.

Meh, not every pick is about hitting homeruns even so I see Reed as a tone-setter, a guy whose play and physicality can be infectious. Like the Marshawn Lynch of run-stuffing DTs.

Brandon Mebane was a Mountian, this guy is a volcano. I mean that in a positive way... Hes going to be great .

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1ikexuf2 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/726264934619717632[/tweet]

Essentially swapped a 4th rounder for a 3rd rounder and got 'em both! Love it!

Just awesome. Sorry if this was already posted; didn't see it in my brief skim:

PFT: Seahawks got the other guy they were considering at No. 31
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -at-no-31/

dogorama

Reaction score
This pick may be the steal of the draft BUT I am curious why he slipped so far w/o any obvious issues like character/injuries etc. Could it be that teams are passing on players who aren't proven pass rushers in this pass-happy era?

McGruff

Reaction score
dogorama":3rh8eb7o said:
This pick may be the steal of the draft BUT I am curious why he slipped so far w/o any obvious issues like character/injuries etc. Could it be that teams are passing on players who aren't proven pass rushers in this pass-happy era?

You pretty much nailed it.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
dogorama":3lqe71lt said:
I think they were concerned if he is a 3 down lineman.

But he showed the Seahawks enough to make Pete and John enough to worry other teams would draft him so the FO pulled the trigger.

I'm happy they did. Jarran Reed is my favorite pick of this draft for the Hawks.

He's gonna be a force. Watch out.

kf3339

Reaction score
dogorama":sy20rgnn said:

I think that there was so much depth in this DT class teams were believing they could look at other positions in the first two rounds, and only looked at DT's who had proven production to push the pocket in addition to run stuffing traits. The thing is though that I think Reed will end up being much better at rushing the passer than any of us realize. Robinson and Reed weren't asked to rush the passer at Alabama. You could see it in their play.

He also now has a chip on his shoulder to prove the other 31 teams were wrong. Just watch out!

Cad

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":21fue9aj said:
dogorama":21fue9aj said:
I think they were concerned if he is a 3 down lineman.

But he showed the Seahawks enough to make Pete and John enough to worry other teams would draft him so the FO pulled the trigger.

I'm happy they did. Jarran Reed is my favorite pick of this draft for the Hawks.

He's gonna be a force. Watch out.

They moved up because Atlanta and Dan Quinn were going to grab him. As soon as the Seahawks got him, Atlanta traded down.

chris98251

Reaction score
People have said he isn't a pass rusher, he doesn't have to get sacks, he does need to be able to get push up the middle which he does, Bennett and Avril will get the sacks, but because he flushed the pocket. Also Bama didn't ask him to rush the QB, just because he wasn't asked to doesn't mean he can't do it.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
gabel":2dh160sq said:
TwistedHusky":2dh160sq said:
Not a tremendous fan of DTs that cannot get any pass rush at all. I already had enough of that with Rubin last year.

Rob Rang tweet.
Stunned that Jarran Reed was available at No 49. My top traditional DT in the draft. Powerful, tough & better pass rusher than given credit.

Every time I watched him play he was a stud and he really really wants to play in Seattle.

All of the 'no upside' and 'can't pass rush' comments boggle my mind. If you watch film on this guy, he sheds blockers really well, and he's really quick off the snap. It just so happens that Alabama runs a very disciplined D, and he was asked to plug/occupy/hold ground while their uber-talented more pass-rush-oriented players got after the QB. If you won't take my word for it, check the above tweet by Rob Rang that say "better pass rusher than given credit for." I think Rob has proven he knows a thing or two about evaluating talent.

....or you can continue to conveniently file him away as someone who 'can't' pass rush based upon his role at Alabama. Open your eyes.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rang knows his stuff, if he says he can pass rush I think we will be in for a pleasant surprise, our opposition not so much pleasant but surprise may be there still.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2ejsemo8 said:
....or you can continue to conveniently file him away as someone who 'can't' pass rush based upon his role at Alabama. Open your eyes.

This.

IMO Reed was hurt by being part of a REALLY deep D-line rotation at Alabama, they literally have 10 five star players rotating along that line any given game.

So if he was on just about any other division 1 D-line my guess is Reed would have had more sacks and tackles because he would have played every down.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1m7u7ye8 said:
gabel":1m7u7ye8 said:
TwistedHusky":1m7u7ye8 said:
Not a tremendous fan of DTs that cannot get any pass rush at all. I already had enough of that with Rubin last year.

Rob Rang tweet.
Stunned that Jarran Reed was available at No 49. My top traditional DT in the draft. Powerful, tough & better pass rusher than given credit.

Every time I watched him play he was a stud and he really really wants to play in Seattle.

All of the 'no upside' and 'can't pass rush' comments boggle my mind. If you watch film on this guy, he sheds blockers really well, and he's really quick off the snap. It just so happens that Alabama runs a very disciplined D, and he was asked to plug/occupy/hold ground while their uber-talented more pass-rush-oriented players got after the QB. If you won't take my word for it, check the above tweet by Rob Rang that say "better pass rusher than given credit for." I think Rob has proven he knows a thing or two about evaluating talent.

At the same time, it's important to factor in his role in the scheme. Sometimes the DTs in the Hawk's scheme are simply asked to try and draw double teams to allow other players to make plays.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I love this pick. I haven't been this excited about a Seahawks draft pick since we drafted Wilson in 2012.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3o8zr9fo said:
I love this pick. I haven't been this excited about a Seahawks draft pick since we drafted Wilson in 2012.

I picked Vanett as my adopt a rookie because I just didnt want to go with the obvious glaring choice in Reed. This guy is going to just crush it this year and I cant wait to see him on the field. This guy is going to be a difference maker on the Dline. He is the player I am most excited by x2....nobody else even comes close

nanomoz

Reaction score
The 'Hawks are the tough kids on the block again. Reed is going to be a tone setter. The pass rushers on this team are going to love all the second/third and longs.

What an unbelievable pick. In all the tape/highlights I've watched since he was drafted, I've never seen him surrender an inch. Even when double or triple teamed.

So stoked. This team is going to be fun to watch.

Veilside

Reaction score
This guy is going to make the Frank Clark coming out party this season that much sweeter.