Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I think this is a great pick. Blazing fast, runs good routes, great hands (3 drops?), plays bigger than his size, makes the catch in traffic, produced with two average (let's face it, bad) QBs throwing his way on a team that had no other REAL offensive threats. When he put it into high gear, no one covering could keep up with him.

The kid is well spoken, was a captain and has a great work ethic from what I've read of him. Crazy to think one year ago he was rehabbing from an ACL tear and now he is getting electronically timed at 4.28. If the 4.28 time was posted under an official setting, it would be tied for the 4th fastest 40 time since 2000 (when laser/electronic timing was implemented).

BPR needs to add some weight to his frame, obviously, but he has the potential to be a stud. Combine him with Percy, ADB, Kearse and Rice and we've got a hell of a WR corps - all with very good and diverse skill sets.

strohmin

Reaction score
This guy is really fast and his route running is quite impressive.

Rainger

Reaction score
This is a comment from SI in their grade of the Hawks draft:
"However, getting Colorado speed receiver Paul Richardson, also in the second round, could be a major steal."

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I love the crying over his height/small hands... and it seems some of these people are the same ones that cry about Golden Tate.

Tate:
5'10
35 in Vert
30.5 in Arms
9 1/4 in Hands

Richardson:
6'0
38 in Vert
32.5 in Arms
8 7/8 in Hands

The pessimists on this site will now known as The Jim Harbaugh Club For Cry-Babies

RiverDog

Reaction score
WorcesterHawks":atmihlvo said:
Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.

That's a really good analysis, but I'll add a few of my own:

Strength: Supposedly a savvy route runner, and with his speed and explosiveness, that could make for a deadly combination..

Weakness: Given his slight build, he's probably not a devastating blocker, something that could limit his PT in a run first offense like ours.

Strength: Rebounded well from his knee injury.

Weakness: The injury occurred in non contact drills, and he was out for an entire season. The prior season, he missed 4 games due to injuries.

Strength: Can make spectacular, highlight reel catches.

Weakness: Struggles at time with the easy catches.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RiverDog":3twm1nkm said:
WorcesterHawks":3twm1nkm said:
Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.

That's a really good analysis, but I'll add a few of my own:

Strength: Supposedly a savvy route runner, and with his speed and explosiveness, that could make for a deadly combination..

Weakness: Given his slight build, he's probably not a devastating blocker, something that could limit his PT in a run first offense like ours.

Strength: Rebounded well from his knee injury.

Weakness: The injury occurred in non contact drills, and he was out for an entire season. The prior season, he missed 4 games due to injuries.

Strength: Can make spectacular, highlight reel catches.

Weakness: Struggles at time with the easy catches.

still don't get this one. straight off his pre-draft analysis.

3 drops

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Smellyman":3a5rls2a said:
still don't get this one. straight off his pre-draft analysis.

3 drops

That is weird to me, don't know if they mean 3 drops just last season or 3 in his entire collegiate career? Just by watching a little bit of his film I could find, there were definitely some balls that got away that I thought he should've caught. I wouldn't say he struggles, but just there were a few that got away and it definitely seemed like more than 3. Vividly remember 2 in his vs. Oregon game that he couldn't pull in.

Still love the pick.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Richardson said that he did work with returning with Colorado's coaches and was looking forward to getting a chance to return.

I think, as long as he can field the ball cleanly, he'll be our guy at PR. If he gets even a slight hole, he's gone because his straight-line speed is ridiculous.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":r95m80eo said:
Richardson said that he did work with returning with Colorado's coaches and was looking forward to getting a chance to return.

I think, as long as he can field the ball cleanly, he'll be our guy at PR. If he gets even a slight hole, he's gone because his straight-line speed is ridiculous.

This is pure speculation, but I think the Colorado coaches probably didn't want their offensive MVP at the risk of getting injured in the return game.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing this guys speed in training camp and preseason. Once he starts getting behind defenses he'll be one of the WRs other teams fear. I really like the fluidity he has in his routes. It's not fair to compare, but he looks a lot like Desean Jackson.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2y36gkjh said:
Smelly McUgly":2y36gkjh said:

This is pure speculation, but I think the Colorado coaches probably didn't want their offensive MVP at the risk of getting injured in the return game.

I think Richardson said that as well, or other media people are speculating that. He's also bulking up to 190, I'm not too worried about him frame after hearing that from him.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he want's to improve the drop ratio there is always Lasik :)

I think he will be fine, Wilson need to throw his receivers open more as well, I think we will start seeing that part of his game begin to develop when he starts to trust his line more.

HawkSquawk

Reaction score
I've followed Paul Richardson since he was a Frosh player.

Back Story:

Richardson along with Shaquille Richardson and Josh Shirley were all UCLA commits. They got in trouble and Rick Neuheisel booted them.

Shaquille went to Arizona. Shirley went to UW and Paul got the short end of the stick by going to Colorado. This kid would have been a superstar had he stayed at UCLA. That video of PRich scoring a 75yrd TD was against the same Shaq Richardson that was his former UCLA teammate.

Coming out of HS he was the better WR prospect. USC was recruiting Marquis Lee as a potential Safety. Richardson was the guy along with Robert Woods at WR.

This is a great pic. There are other WR that are larger but I haven't seen any that combine the speed at all gears, hands (concentration) and route running and YAC ability of PRich.

Carroll skipped on Lee for a reason folks.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
My take on this pick is that it's not really a surprise at all once you think about it. And the reason is I think PC loves a big tall physical reciever as much as the next guy. Remember early on, he brought in Big Mike, went after VJack and B. Marshall and then got Rice. But what he wants the most is a playmaker and a playmaker with those big, tall physical attributes are called top 10 picks. We didn't have that, so he goes for a potential playmaker that gets passed on because of size, health or character risks. Simple as that imo, could have played it safe and maybe got solid or take a risk and potentially get a gamechanger.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2q1nq95e said:
I love the crying over his height/small hands... and it seems some of these people are the same ones that cry about Golden Tate.

Tate:
5'10
35 in Vert
30.5 in Arms
9 1/4 in Hands

Richardson:
6'0
38 in Vert
32.5 in Arms
8 7/8 in Hands

The pessimists on this site will now known as The Jim Harbaugh Club For Cry-Babies

I use to really always feel the need to do what you just did and still do from time to time as I get sucked into these arguments. Then I just think back to when Russell Wilson was drafted and what 75% were saying....well, now many of those same haters are wearing Wilson jerseys on Sunday.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What is different between Paul Richardson and Deon Butler? They seem very similar to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3j4eyglz said:
Yeah, not sure a out this one. Plenty of other good WRs left on the board. All I see with this guy is speed. Most of the scouting reports I have read says he has very average hands.
DeSean Jackson has below-average hands. Just sayin'.