Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

12thManNorth

Reaction score
For anybody not happy about getting another short speedster type, think about our offence if (probably when) Percy goes down again. Basically would've had the same WR's as last year, less Tate, plus Norwood. That is not an improvement at alll from what could've been one our weaker position groups. Richardson brings great insurance for Percy, and if they're both healthy, our offence can be that much more dynamic than last year. Love it

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Comparing Richardson to Butler is pointless. Butler was never a fit for an offense that struggled to throw the ball deep. Butler had no future as a punt returner.

I'm not predicting Richardson will be awesome, but he does fit our current big play offense, and he does fill an immediate need as punt returner. I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ojtf7fn said:
I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.
For the one time we roll out four WRs each game, yes; I agree.

naholmes

Reaction score
12thManNorth":3pftbfzg said:
It is in comparison to a 6'4" red zone guy

The 6'4" red zone guy will be Sidney Rice for another season, IF he can come back from his latest knee injury.

Richardson give the Hawks another dynamic weapon on offense and much needed insurance for Harvin. Percy came up huge in the Super Bowl but he only played 68 snaps all year. If Harvin is healthy next season then he should lead the Hawks in receiving, and most likely touchdowns and earn a trip to the pro-bowl. We're all hoping for that to happen but hope is not a strategy and after last season it would be extremely unwise to count on it.

The leading receiver last year, Golden Tate, is gone and the second leading receiver, Doug Baldwin, is only under contract for one more season. Both those guys are shorter than Paul Richardson.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I was a bit confused when I first heard his name called, but the more I think about it, the happier I am. He adds another element to our offense that was missing. Much like Harvin stretches the defense from sideline to sideline, Richardson has the potential to stress the defense vertically. If Harvin is running a short crossing route and Richardson is going deep, who do you go after? That is ignoring the impact Lynch has too. I'm excited.

kearly

Reaction score
Butler isn't similar enough to Richardson to warrant a comparison.

That said, everyone saying Richardson was the faster of the two is in error. Butler had an official 4.31. Richardson had an official 4.33. Butler may not have been a good NFL prospect, but he was fast.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":3nmce08y said:
Butler isn't similar enough to Richardson to warrant a comparison.

That said, everyone saying Richardson was the faster of the two is in error. Butler had an official 4.31. Richardson had an official 4.33. Butler may not have been a good NFL prospect, but he was fast.

I think some of the confusion may be between some people referring to 40 time and some actually game speed. While Butler ran a faster official 40 in shorts, on a track, he never really played anywhere near his 40 time on the field. Where from what I have seen, and what a lot of others are seeing as well, Richardson plays much closer to his 40 time on the field. So in that sense Richardson "is faster"...

Of course that's pretty subjective and maybe impossible to prove but I think you'd agree if people worded it like that. Don't you think Richardson's game speed is faster than Butlers ever was?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Everyone keeps forgetting that we also signed the 6'5" 218# Chris Mathews from the CFL. He caught 95 passes for 1,330 yards and 8 TDs.

I was "who?" when they drafted PR but then again, so was everyone else. I wanted to see DL or OL but now that I've learned a little more about this guy, I'm starting to warm up to him.

Not sure where the "drops" rumor originated from but JS said 183 targets, 4 drops. I might be of a couple of targets off can't remember verbatim, but that's pretty damn good.

Another thing John brought up was that they looked at a list of WR in the NFL under 180# and it was quite a list.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1t45p4zd said:
Scottemojo":1t45p4zd said:
I would suspect that our 4 WR sets will be very difficult for defenses to choose who to single cover.
For the one time we roll out four WRs each game, yes; I agree.

Yes...but when we do, the Defense will know that they are in "deep sh*t"!!

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
Do you guys think Richardson might have had something to do with the Seahawks not showing any interest in DeSean Jackson?

ivotuk

Reaction score

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":1vvnk4e7 said:
Do you guys think Richardson might have had something to do with the Seahawks not showing any interest in DeSean Jackson?
Look no further than DJack's salary to know why we had no interest. Or the Philly/Hawks game a couple years back where Jackson quit on routes the whole night long.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
naholmes":qbzynjvc said:
12thManNorth":qbzynjvc said:
It is in comparison to a 6'4" red zone guy

The 6'4" red zone guy will be Sidney Rice for another season, IF he can come back from his latest knee injury.

Richardson give the Hawks another dynamic weapon on offense and much needed insurance for Harvin. Percy came up huge in the Super Bowl but he only played 68 snaps all year. If Harvin is healthy next season then he should lead the Hawks in receiving, and most likely touchdowns and earn a trip to the pro-bowl. We're all hoping for that to happen but hope is not a strategy and after last season it would be extremely unwise to count on it.

The leading receiver last year, Golden Tate, is gone and the second leading receiver, Doug Baldwin, is only under contract for one more season. Both those guys are shorter than Paul Richardson.

Just 2 things sir/maam.
1. I hope Harvin is only at the Pro Bowl to visit practicing for the Superb Owl the following week. :p
2. Welcome to .NET. :2:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

HansGruber

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dng9k2a said:
Blitzer88":2dng9k2a said:
Yeah, not sure a out this one. Plenty of other good WRs left on the board. All I see with this guy is speed. Most of the scouting reports I have read says he has very average hands.
DeSean Jackson has below-average hands. Just sayin'.

DeSean Jackson had the 3rd lowest dropped passes rate in 2012 with 2.13% - meaning he had the third-best hands in the NFL:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... receivers/

In 2013, his dropped passes rate went up slightly to 2.4%, putting him in the top 10 again.

Just sayin'...