Who is Your Favorite Pick on Defense in the first 3 ROUNDS, since 2017?

Fade

Reaction score
Malik McDowell
Shaq Griffin
Lano Hill
Naz Jones
Rasheem Green
L.J. Collier
Marquise Blair
Cody Barton
Jordyn Brooks
Darrell Taylor
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Boye Mafe

Answer: Nobody!

What gives you faith that it will be different this time?

Rat

Reaction score
McDowell was easily the one I was most excited about at the time. He was #1 on my wishlist that year.

Chevy

Reaction score
McDowell was mine. I know about hit off field concerns, but I felt a 2nd round pick was a good gamble. It obviously didn't work out with McDowell, but it did work out with Frank Clark.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I don't understand the premise, limiting your question to the first 3 rounds.

Who is Your Favorite Pick on Defense, since 2017?
Tariq Woolen.

He has that Seahawk DNA.

cymatica

Reaction score
Because they specifically said they changed their draft strategy, this draft is loaded with great front 7 talent, and so far they've hit a home run with off season acquisitions which gives them a lot more flexibility to go after bpa.

I also think Mafe was a great pick, looked pretty good for a rookie surrounded by a horrible defense that had players out of position.

toffee

Reaction score
Shaq Griffin, pro-bowler; Jordyn Brooks, team tackle recorder holder; Darrell Taylor, 9 sacks; Jamal Adams, all pro; Boye Mafe, ain't it a bit early?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score

Who is Your Favorite Pick on Defense, since 2017?
Tariq Woolen.

He has that Seahawk DNA.

Firstly, the Seahawks have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This is a window into what they will do with the picks, based on their history.

Secondly, and more importantly. It's about expecations. It is unfair to expect a team to find quality starters with late round picks. You're just happy if the guy makes the team and can be a special teams contributor and a good backup. Any more than that and it's a bonus.

Guys in the first 3 rounds, the expectation is they become quality starting players before they are even drafted. 1st round is even steeper of course. Top 10 even more so.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Because they specifically said they changed their draft strategy, this draft is loaded with great front 7 talent, and so far they've hit a home run with off season acquisitions which gives them a lot more flexibility to go after bpa.

I also think Mafe was a great pick, looked pretty good for a rookie surrounded by a horrible defense that had players out of position.
Same defensive coaches, causing the same issues. Regardless of their draft strategy.

They had to get rid of Cable to finally start picking, and developing O-Lineman properly. The same is true for the defense. All doubts will be erased after this season.

cymatica

Reaction score
Same defensive coaches, causing the same issues. Regardless of their draft strategy.

They had to get rid of Cable to finally start picking, and developing O-Lineman properly. The same is true for the defense. All doubts will be erased after this season.
Not the same coaches, Norton is gone and last year they played a completely new scheme with players that did not fit. Can't really tell how Hurtt pans out yet based on that. They obviously have a better plan moving forward based on this off-season and we'll see how the draft goes. I think Hurtt gets a mulligan.

If they blow chunks this season then yeah there's no excuse. I really doubt they won't improve quite a bit on defense though, front 7 is already better just from the moves they've made so far

getnasty

Reaction score
Malik McDowell
Shaq Griffin
Lano Hill
Naz Jones
Rasheem Green
L.J. Collier
Marquise Blair
Cody Barton
Jordyn Brooks
Darrell Taylor
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Boye Mafe

nwHawk

Reaction score
This is meant to illustrate how this organization can’t find elite top tier 1 & 2 rd studs. A lot of swing and misses.

nwHawk

Reaction score
For me, it’s got to be Boye Mafe. He still has upside. The rest, all hype with big holes in their game.

toffee

Reaction score
What do you Suggest? Should we fire Pete or John? or both?
You haven't follow fade, have you? He wanted to rid those two for years, and totally mad at the ownership for not pulling the trigger. So mad that he blessed her with a new name.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Malik McDowell
Shaq Griffin
Lano Hill
Naz Jones
Rasheem Green
L.J. Collier
Marquise Blair
Cody Barton
Jordyn Brooks
Darrell Taylor
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Jamal Adams
Boye Mafe

Favorite pick or best player after the fact?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Firstly, the Seahawks have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This is a window into what they will do with the picks, based on their history.

Secondly, and more importantly. It's about expecations. It is unfair to expect a team to find quality starters with late round picks. You're just happy if the guy makes the team and can be a special teams contributor and a good backup. Any more than that and it's a bonus.

Guys in the first 3 rounds, the expectation is they become quality starting players before they are even drafted. 1st round is even steeper of course. Top 10 even more so.
* Tariq Woolen

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's not a great list. No doubt. That Adams trade (then contract!) has been a dumpster-full-of-dirty-diapers fire.

Taylor didn't adjust quickly last year--or, the coaches didn't scheme him well--but he stil has 16 sacks and 5 forced fumbles in two seasons.

I imagine his rookie season counts as an accrued season, which means he's a FA next year. That's nuts. Sportrac says he's an RFA, which is better than UFA, I guess.

And I'm hopeful for Boye Mafe.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Hard to say.

Shaq Griffin - getting a Pro Bowl starting cb in the 3rd is really good value.

Darrell Taylor - I liked the aggressiveness in the process. They identified the edge rusher that they had to have in a field that included underwhelming, limited prospects like Gross-Matos and Epenesa and traded up to get their guy. Ascending player with 6.5 sack -> 9.5 sack trajectory to start his career.