The Seahawks Need to be Careful (Upcoming Draft)

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to be careful here, this is the biggest haul they will have for a longtime and if they blow these picks on guys like Collier, Brooks, Taylor, McDowell, and Blair, etc again. (Their recent draft history on defense is abysmal. Sold the farm for Adams, too.)

Pete in no normal organization would be allowed to continue to fail at this historic level, in drafting, development, and scheme for this many seasons. They have so many assets thrown at this defense, spending even more picks at it is not going to fix it when their issues are clearly systemic.

The Seahawks have not many 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round players drafted on offense in the previous 5 drafts ('22 they drafted mostly offense) because they've been blowing these picks on their defense as they've been trying to rebuild it for 5 years. Giving them more picks is not the answer until they fix what's going on at the top.

First 3 Rounds All Defensive players selected:
'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

The Seahawks have drafted much better but have made way fewer picks on offense. in the first 3 rounds.

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Penny Hart

How can you trust Pete to pick the players he needs for his defense at this point? It's crazy to think this is even on the table as a possibility.

If Pete is still here going into the next draft, I propose all early picks are offensive players. Better to draft players who can actually play rather than a bunch of busts.

Two 1sts and Two 2nds based on recent draft history gets you -> LJ Collier, Jordyn Brooks, Darrell Taylor, & Marquis Blair.
OMG...life isn't stressful enough. Can we at least wait until 2023 to take on this new source of anxiety?

Honestly, I don't disagree with your point. Bottom line is that unless Jody Allen makes a drastic change at the top, which I do not see happening prior to the draft next year, then we have to have faith that John/Pete will replicate the 2022 draft.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
But even looking at it objectively they've been below average draft wise even when factoring in all the moving parts for a draft.
Really? What numbers do you have to back this up?

Because I already said, I would very much like some context here. Again, even though this point was already made, it still hasn't been provided. What is the average success rate of picks taken at similar points in the draft?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Really? What numbers do you have to back this up?

Because I already said, I would very much like some context here. Again, even though this point was already made, it still hasn't been provided. What is the average success rate of picks taken at similar points in the draft?
Better yet can you find another team that whiffed on all of their defensive draft picks in the first 3 rounds since 2017 like the Seahawks?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I agree with you on a few things that you posted. However, Penny Hart was not drafted by the Seahawks. The Seahawks signed him as an UDFA in 2019.
Yeah, Penny Heart =/ Dee Eskridge same diff. Will update OP though.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
They’re in no position to get cute and try and show their the smartest guys in the room anymore. I see them drafting more conventionally, drafting need, and drafting guys that are rated accordingly, guys we don’t have to google….at least in the first 3 rounds anyhow. i Think JS has been humbled and his recent picks have been rightfully panned.
The success (so far) of doing it the conventional way this season should be all they need to stay on that course for the next however many drafts.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
They’re in no position to get cute and try and show their the smartest guys in the room anymore. I see them drafting more conventionally, drafting need, and drafting guys that are rated accordingly, guys we don’t have to google….at least in the first 3 rounds anyhow. i Think JS has been humbled and his recent picks have been rightfully panned.
You're not going to get an argument from me on their most recent draft.

I went into the '22 draft very pessimistic based on their last 5 drafts, but was immediately impressed with what they did. It had me questioning whether JS took full control this time.

However, they only drafted 1 player on defense in the first 3 rounds. The other picks were made on offense. And is the biggest factor why the draft was such a success.

There is a clear track record on offense in recent years (Dee Eskridge aside).

And a clear WTF is going on defense?!

Just about everything is going wrong on that side of the ball. Drafting, development, scheme. It is systemic.

They are historically bad on defense, and it takes more than just a few bad defensive picks to get there, but at the same time, without changes at the top (Pete). How can it get better? These upcoming picks cannot be flushed on more guys like Collier, Taylor, Brooks, and Blair based on recent history.

It is nuts there is even a possibility that this could even continue. It makes me sick to think that #1 DVOA offense is going to have a terrible record, with no change in sight anytime soon.

Having productive QB play has seemed to pacify enough of the fanbase and mask how truly bad they are on defense.

If Geno was playing like career backup Geno, they'd be 0-5. So because Geno is playing well, Pete is given another pass, and is allowed to continue to screw it up on Defense.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Better yet can you find another team that whiffed on all of their defensive draft picks in the first 3 rounds since 2017 like the Seahawks?
The real point is that the draft is by definition a hit or miss game. You win some, you lose some. Over the course of his tenure he's done just that, because that's the nature of the draft.

So what you're really asking, at the root, is can I name another team that participated in the draft from 2017 to now? Yes 31 other teams did, and they had a mix of results as well.

Thus far the 2022 draft looks good. Same dudes drafting. Win some, lose some.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Not only GM, and HC, our owner sucked too, in fact she is the suckest of them all, so suck that he changed her name to Jodi (yes, with an i).
Never really dissed the GM. Pete has Al Davis'd a lot of drafts according to Seahawks scouts.

Moved on to calling her Judy. ;)

I just want a coach / setup that fixes the defense. I see no path forward with Pete still in charge given the last 6 seasons, as Pete continues to defy how low the bar on defense can actually go.

toffee

Reaction score
Never really dissed the GM. Pete has Al Davis'd a lot of drafts according to Seahawks scouts.

Moved on to calling her Judy. ;)

I just want a coach / setup that fixes the defense. I see no path forward with Pete still in charge given the last 6 seasons, as Pete continues to defy how low the bar on defense can actually go.
Back from I to y? Sounded like you love birds patched up some ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to be careful here, this is the biggest haul they will have for a longtime and if they blow these picks on guys like Collier, Brooks, Taylor, McDowell, and Blair, etc again. (Their recent draft history on defense is abysmal. Sold the farm for Adams, too.)

Pete in no normal organization would be allowed to continue to fail at this historic level, in drafting, development, and scheme for this many seasons. They have so many assets thrown at this defense, spending even more picks at it is not going to fix it when their issues are clearly systemic.

The Seahawks have not many 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round players drafted on offense in the previous 5 drafts ('22 they drafted mostly offense) because they've been blowing these picks on their defense as they've been trying to rebuild it for 5 years. Giving them more picks is not the answer until they fix what's going on at the top.

First 3 Rounds All Defensive players selected:
'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

The Seahawks have drafted much better but have made way fewer picks on offense. in the first 3 rounds.

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Dee Eskridge

How can you trust Pete to pick the players he needs for his defense at this point? It's crazy to think this is even on the table as a possibility.

If Pete is still here going into the next draft, I propose all early picks are offensive players. Better to draft players who can actually play rather than a bunch of busts.

Two 1sts and Two 2nds based on recent draft history gets you -> LJ Collier, Jordyn Brooks, Darrell Taylor, & Marquis Blair.

*EDIT* Updated OP: Mistakenly listed Penny Hart instead of Dee Eskridge in '21.
They have a "Thumbs Up" and a "Reply", where the hell is the 'Thumbs Down' for me to select???
Getting fed up with the Pete and John Hate sh*t.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
The OP is a prophet.

They should fix the defense in Free Agency. So the coaches can't use "young" as an excuse for continued failure.

Spend the day 1 and day 2 picks on offense where the Seahawks hit at a high rate.

Geno is in his 30's with the oldest coach in the league. They need to win now.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It's fair to criticize many of the first round JS/PC picks as reaches, but most to all of these underperformers have one thing in common. They are all taken with pick 15 or higher.

I'll let you experts continue debate on whether PC/JS adjust strategy as the round progresses, but one thing is clear and brings me optimism heading into 2023. Despite misses with their first round picks when selecting 15-32 (and in cases with no first rounder, their first pick in the 2nd), Pete's Seahawks have drafted VERY WELL when picking 1-14.

First round and first picks like Carpenter, (25), Irvin (15), Ifedi (31), Collier (29), McDowell (2/35), Eskridge (2/56), Michael (2,62), and Richardson (2/45) were all taken with the 15th pick and later.

But look what happens when we select earlier than pick 15:

Okung (6), Thomas (14), Cross (9)- All solid picks that show we historically don't have to be too careful with early first rounders, they hit.

Based on what I see historically from PC/JS, we should keep and select any draft pick in the top 15 (or at least insure a trade down includes a better than 15 pick) and leverage our second first rounder (if it's higher than say 20) for additional draft capital.

rjdriver

Reaction score
A little non sequitur, but anyone else remember when after the Carpenter pick, the camera panned to a perplexed Saban in disbelief and he can be seen mouthing “James Carpenter in the first round”????

I think me and and @nanomoz started a tab with a high limit card at that very moment.

Just please don’t let that happen again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If someone offers up a ridiculous pile of picks to move up to get the Hawks first pick? Take it, just helps the building of the defense and the team even more.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Most teams who picked in the 20's. The hit rate for top 10 picks is 40%, after pick 20 it drops down into the 20-30% hit rate range.

You're also saying players like Brooks, Barton and Taylor are whiffs?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Another reason I’ve been critical of how they’ve drafted and I get told drafting is hard therefore they’ve drafted well. It’s mindboggling the pass John/Pete get in this regard. And yes this last draft class appears to be very good

Latest posts