Seattle Mariners @ Tampa Bay Rays Sep 7-10

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
I don't even know what to say. I'm beyond shocked Servais would put Munoz in there with a 1 run lead in the 9th with the way he's been struggling lately. Thank God Cal threw out that base runner or that very well might have turned out differently.

Side note, Cal has now thrown out 4 runners trying to steal 2nd in the last 2 games. One of them was Elly De La Cruz. Cal's been on fire.
Well, part of what Munoz has to learn is that Servais and the team trust him. Have to give the guy a chance to fail to show how badly he wants to win. Being a closer is a hard skillset to learn. He's done for a game or two, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The 2 guys that Munoz struck out in the 9th is how he has to pitch.
First K struck him out with 5 straight heaters, 2nd K 5 straight heaters, then snuck in the slider for the K.

Most hitters can’t hit 100mph consistently. Almost all can hit hanging breaking balls center cut unless they are looking for 100+.

Chapow

Reaction score
Well, part of what Munoz has to learn is that Servais and the team trust him. Have to give the guy a chance to fail to show how badly he wants to win. Being a closer is a hard skillset to learn. He's done for a game or two, though.

I don't think anyone that's been paying attention over the past several weeks would have been the least bit surprised if Munoz had blown it. Hell, I was half expecting it. I literally said "Oh no, what the f@ck?!" out loud to my wife when they showed him warming up in the top of the 9th. The guy scares the sh1t out me in high leverage situations at this point, and I really don't think that's unwarranted or unreasonable.

Would you have been surprised if he blew it today?

Chapow

Reaction score
The 2 guys that Munoz struck out in the 9th is how he has to pitch.
First K struck him out with 5 straight heaters, 2nd K 5 straight heaters, then snuck in the slider for the K.

Most hitters can’t hit 100mph consistently. Almost all can hit hanging breaking balls center cut unless they are looking for 100+.

The problem with that is that he's also struggling with locating his fastball. That's why he hit a guy and walked another guy. We're very fortunate that Cal threw out the 1st one or there could very well have been a different outcome.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think anyone that's been paying attention over the past several weeks would have been the least bit surprised if Munoz had blown it. Hell, I was half expecting it. I literally said "Oh no, what the f@ck?!" out loud to my wife when they showed him warming up in the top of the 9th. The guy scares the sh1t out me in high leverage situations at this point, and I really don't think that's unwarranted or unreasonable.

Would you have been surprised if he blew it today?
I'll admit, I was nervous, too. But just like the closing sequence of Major League, Servais is paid for more than just his knowledge and experience. He gets to make the decision and sometimes that means going with his gut instincts. He's grooming Munoz to be a closer and the more times Munoz successfully pulls it off, the more his confidence grows. Can't do that without going through it. It's nerve wracking for us fans, and every game counts now, big time. Every loss going forward could be the one that hurts our standing in the final seedings or even means we miss the playoffs altogether. But that's the nature of sports.

Your nervousness is warranted, to be sure, but who else do you go to in that situation? His mental state aside, Munoz has the best arm in the 'pen. Putting him out there is saying, "Sure, you had a rough couple of outings, but you're the best guy we got. Go win the game for us." That's what he did, with some defensive assistance. That's another thing he has to learn. He's not alone out there. He has a first class defensive team behind him who will have his back when the ball is put in play. He has to learn to pitch without fear. Experience is his best teacher.

Chapow

Reaction score
I'll admit, I was nervous, too. But just like the closing sequence of Major League, Servais is paid for more than just his knowledge and experience. He gets to make the decision and sometimes that means going with his gut instincts. He's grooming Munoz to be a closer and the more times Munoz successfully pulls it off, the more his confidence grows. Can't do that without going through it. It's nerve wracking for us fans, and every game counts now, big time. Every loss going forward could be the one that hurts our standing in the final seedings or even means we miss the playoffs altogether. But that's the nature of sports.

Your nervousness is warranted, to be sure, but who else do you go to in that situation? His mental state aside, Munoz has the best arm in the 'pen. Putting him out there is saying, "Sure, you had a rough couple of outings, but you're the best guy we got. Go win the game for us." That's what he did, with some defensive assistance. That's another thing he has to learn. He's not alone out there. He has a first class defensive team behind him who will have his back when the ball is put in play. He has to learn to pitch without fear. Experience is his best teacher.

Great post, man. Great post.

Oscars standing ovation

Chapow

Reaction score
And you're absolutely right. Munoz does, without a doubt, have the best arm in the pen.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The problem with that is that he's also struggling with locating his fastball. That's why he hit a guy and walked another guy. We're very fortunate that Cal threw out the 1st one or there could very well have been a different outcome.
100% Agree his control needs to get better. I’m usually not a fan of this quote for most pitchers but he needs to “establish his fastball” everytime out because it’s 100 mph. Most of the pitchers I don’t agree with that quote as most fastballs are very hittable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Kirby and the OF’ers that lost the ball in the roof are crapping the bed early in the game. Perfect storm of shit.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Got out of it with only giving up 2 runs. Need to get their fecal matter compacted real fast.

Chapow

Reaction score
Nice response from the M's in the top of the 2nd. Hopefully Kirby can settle in and pitch a few quality innings.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Okay, it's a game now. Kirby back on track, pitch count not in bad shape after a couple of quick innings.

Just enough offense so far, could always use more. :)