Seattle Mariners @ Tampa Bay Rays Sep 7-10

Threedee

Reaction score
I get that our plan was to win yesterday, and not give a **** about today. But, we lost yesterday, and then found ourselves in a strong position to win today. And... we haven't really adjusted the script, and we are now behind...

Crizilla

Reaction score
I think SS left Weaver in one inning too long.
Agreed. All the other guys were on a full days rest. No reason why they couldn't have finished the rest of the game. The pitching is a total mess right now nobody is doing their job. Meanwhile the bottom of the line up is back to being trash. The team looked unstoppable when the bottom of the line up was hitting. Marlow went cold and they haven't recovered.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Man, a win today would've been really nice. This team is struggling with the pitching. They better fix it soon or else its gets downhill from here.

Chapow

Reaction score
This game is pretty much just, meh whatever, for me. I had no expectation that this would even be competitive with Thornton and Weaver in there for the majority of the game.

And let's not forget that the Rays are a really good baseball team. They're 30 games over .500, which I hear is not too shabby.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Agreed. All the other guys were on a full days rest. No reason why they couldn't have finished the rest of the game. The pitching is a total mess right now nobody is doing their job. Meanwhile the bottom of the line up is back to being trash. The team looked unstoppable when the bottom of the line up was hitting. Marlow went cold and they haven't recovered.
The team just looks like they are running on empty. They really need an off day. The starters need to bring it nearly every game because the pen is just gassed. Yes most everyone had a day off yesterday, but even if Munoz or Brash goes today that is three appearances in four days days.

And yeah, we need JK. We will have the exact same needs going into this off-season as we did last offseason: 1B/DH, 2B (maybe), corner OF, and high leverage bullpen guy.

Chapow

Reaction score
The team just looks like they are running on empty. They really need an off day. The starters need to bring it nearly every game because the pen is just gassed. Yes most everyone had a day off yesterday, but even if Munoz or Brash goes today that is three appearances in four days days.

And yeah, we need JK. We will have the exact same needs going into this off-season as we did last offseason: 1B/DH, 2B (maybe), corner OF, and high leverage bullpen guy.

JK is apparently tearing it up in AAA right now. Which, I mean, he always tears it up in AAA, but still a good sign that he'll be back soon I think.

Chapow

Reaction score
That's what happens when you walk the hitter in the 9 spot, that would have ended the inning if you got him out, and then have to face a really, really good hitter with the game on the line.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Another tough loss. Pen definitely looks like the shakiest part of our team. The Sewald trade is really hurting us.

We are still making the playoffs, but only because Texas is sucking even more than us.

Crizilla

Reaction score
That's game. Rays have better line up and hitting philosophy and it's not even close. Even without Franco. I guess brash and Munoz needed 2 days rest?

Chapow

Reaction score
If the 9 hole hitter beats you, fine. Tip your cap and move on. But you just can't give that guy a free pass, especially when one of the best hitters in baseball is on deck.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If the 9 hole hitter beats you, fine. Tip your cap and move on. But you just can't give that guy a free pass, especially when one of the best hitters in baseball is on deck.
Reminds me of last year....wasn't it Sewald who walked the 9 hitter that led to the Alvarez walk off HR?

Chapow

Reaction score
That's game. Rays have better line up and hitting philosophy and it's not even close.

Agreed. They're very good. That's why they're 30 games over .500.

Even without Franco. I guess brash and Munoz needed 2 days rest?

Doubt it would have mattered anyway. This bullpen is horrible very late in the game in a tie game or with a 1 run lead.

Chapow

Reaction score
Reminds me of last year....wasn't it Sewald who walked the 9 hitter that led to the Alvarez walk off HR?

Yes, I believe so. Basically, Munoz shit the bed in the 8th, giving up a couple of runs, and then Sewald shit the bed in the 9th, including walking the 9 hole hitter, and we all know what happened after that.

It was pretty much a meltdown by Munoz and Sewald that led to Servais resorting to putting in Ray.

Reaction score
They're 3-6 so far on this road trip. They had at least a 3 run lead in 3 of those losses. Frustrating to know making the playoffs will likely come down to those 7 games against the Rangers when it didn't have to.

NoGain

Reaction score
I was hoping that when our hot streak cooled we would still be no worse than a .500 team over a stretch of games. Bummer. But we can still win this division if we can turn it around fast.