Seattle Mariners @ Oakland A's Sep 20-22

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On to tonight. One hit isn't gonna' do it. However, TB, Chicago and Baltimore all lost. And the magic number is down to 10. Could have been a lot worse.

Just get that W tonight. The team is struggling for sure. But it's not the time to be giving up on them. I couldn't care less if they back in to the playoffs or not. Once the playoffs start, anything can happen. Everyone is 0-0. Just get there, it's been 21 fricken years. Don't care one bit how they make it in, or what the seed is. Just get there.
Again, it has been 21 YEARS. Are we really going to start complaining about how they make the playoffs? I'm frustrated with the team too, but no way in hell I'm going to NOT enjoy every second of it if they make the playoffs. That 14 game winning streak has paid off now. They were the hottest team in baseball and won 14 straight. Gave them some cushion for when they are struggling thru all these injuries. Just my opinion that's all.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I'm not giving up. Definitely need some wins, though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, they are struggling. It certainly helps that the rest of these teams are either crapping the bed or they are beating each other up. We need to get Suarez and Cal back, big time. And it's pretty obvious that Haniger is playing hurt. He's usually the most, or one of the most clutch hitters on the team. I just wanna' get in to the playoffs, then see what they can do. New season once they are there. I think the dreams of the top wild card are kind of out the door. Barring the Blue Jay's getting cold. But they are pretty hot right now. Then again, a lot can happen in the next 2 weeks. 15 games left with a 5 game cushion. If someone would have told us a couple months back that we were in this position, I think most would have gladly taken it. Can't forget that this team at one point was 10 games under .500.
And even with the recent struggles, they are sitting at 15 games over .500.

Solid spot imo.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tough game last night. Castillo was in full control and then the wheels came off in the 5th inning.

This loss was very Mariners. With how inconsistent our offense is, we can lose to anyone, regardless if our best pitcher is starting.

We are definitely missing Cal and Suarez.

At this point, just play Moore at 3B and Frazier at 2B. Toro is completely lost, he really shouldn't play unless he absolutely has to.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he's a phenomenal pitcher. But he had that one bad inning. Also, the M's getting 1 hit........ouch.

Gonna' get that W tonight

Chapow

Reaction score
Yeah, not giving up on them, but definitely accepting the reality that with Suarez out and Julio, Ty, Mitch, and Cal all dealing with injuries, this is probably one of the worst offenses in baseball. They are absolutely the worst offense in the playoff picture and it's not close. It's going to be a struggle, and it's probably going to be incredibly frustrating to watch most nights.

However, we still have a 5 game lead with only 15 left to play and only 2 teams that are realistically "in the chase" behind us for that 3rd WC spot. Fortunately for us, both of those teams are just kind of chugging along at this point and not really gaining any ground. The O's are 4-6 in their last 10, and the White Sox are 6-4 in their last 10. That's not gonna get it done for either of them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And if we get Suarez back for playoffs, along with getting Cal back, I like our chances. Julio, France, Mitch, Suarez, JP, Cal, Santana, Haggerty etc. Get the full lineup, added to our pitching, we have a shot to advance. Not expecting more than a series win, but getting in the playoffs would be incredible. 21 damn years, ouch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We are making the playoffs, just a matter of how healthy we will be and how far we can go.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. I would rather they get Suarez and Cal fully healthy for playoffs. Of course, Suarez MIGHT be available come playoffs. But I suspect he makes it happen. Blowers said that at the minimum, they could have him as a DH.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get: Our sucky batters are healthy. Our good hitters are hurting. C'mon you guys, you're doing it wrong!

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Gonna repost this, since we kind of got off track on the series thread. Most of this should be in another thread IMO. There is a game today. :)

First pitch @ 6:40 pm PDT

J. Kaprielian(3-9, 4.70 ERA)R. Ray(12-10, 3.72 ERA)

Better get more than 1 hit today.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah, he's a phenomenal pitcher. But he had that one bad inning. Also, the M's getting 1 hit........ouch.

Gonna' get that W tonight
How long can you pitch at a better than CY Young award pitcher. it''s what he's had to do every time to overcome our hitting.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
You know.. it didn't matter how good Castillo could have been yesterday, M's were held to 1 hit..had it been a homer, it might have been enough, but not matter what, we were going to lose that game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
WTH is wrong with our Pitchers?! All these hits and walks?

Yet our batters can't get on base?

Is this fatigue?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Glad to see Kelenic get another shot. I hope he stays out of his own head and plays to his potential! He could spark a late season rally.

Wish they would have given Cal and Ty more time off. This late in the year, let them rest up for the post season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Another BS strike on Winker
Poor Cal, right to the outfielder.

I swear, it's like the Mariners hits go right to an opposing player, yet opposing players land them in no man's land. I wanna kick Karma's ass!