Kansas City Royals @ Seattle Mariners Aug 25-27

Chapow

Reaction score
Munoz closes it with ease, first place in the AL West!

He got it done, and that's awesome. But throwing fastballs down the middle of plate over and over is an extremely dangerous way to pitch. That was hella sketchy.

NoGain

Reaction score
We're insanely hot now. With our pitching, it's hard to see us ever falling off a cliff here in the stretch run. I mean, even when we were hitting for total shyt, we were just about a .500 team. Looks good.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He got it done, and that's awesome. But throwing fastballs down the middle of plate over and over is an extremely dangerous way to pitch. That was hella sketchy.
Didn't see game but are you saying his stuff is just flat straight?
No good movement?
He has a slider and a sinker that obviously he needs to work on more.

Chapow

Reaction score
Didn't see game but are you saying his stuff is just flat straight?
No good movement?
He has a slider and a sinker that obviously he needs to work on more.

No. I'm saying many of his fastballs that he was throwing today were straight down the middle with basically no movement. Obviously not every single pitch, but quite a few. I'm guessing it's because he's been struggling with his slider, so he was leaning heavily on his fastball. I'm also guessing that he was probably missing his spot on those because I doubt he was trying to throw fastballs middle/middle.

Echawks

Reaction score
i dont know.. all i remember is him striking out the side

Chapow

Reaction score
i dont know.. all i remember is him striking out the side

Strike 3 on both of the first 2 hitters were 98mph fastballs straight down the middle of the plate. The batters just missed it.

BUT... He got it done, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
They were sitting offspeed. They went fastballs. It worked. Its why slider ended it so well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how it looks as long as you get the Dub. That being said, pulling Castillo was plain dumb. I had bad Servais nightmares for a little bit there.
Yes, he's doing a good job this year, but come on man. He was in a zone, sitting at 95 pitches, 1 hit scoreless thru 7. And you pull him? Weak

IndyHawk

Reaction score
No. I'm saying many of his fastballs that he was throwing today were straight down the middle with basically no movement. Obviously not every single pitch, but quite a few. I'm guessing it's because he's been struggling with his slider, so he was leaning heavily on his fastball. I'm also guessing that he was probably missing his spot on those because I doubt he was trying to throw fastballs middle/middle.
Saw an article in fanside?Where Munoz says he's having trouble dealing with the pitch clock
as it's playing with his routine where he's in his comfort zone.
I hadn't thought of that but some other pichers have said the same thing..

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I can see that. I wondered before the season how it would go. There are some pitchers that are human rain delay's out there. All the sudden, you gotta' hurry.
Jamie Moyer would have HATED the pitch clock. Omg, he was about as fast as a slug.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Strike 3 on both of the first 2 hitters were 98mph fastballs straight down the middle of the plate. The batters just missed it.

BUT... He got it done, and that's really all that matters at the end of the day.
I’d rather see him throw his 98-102mph fastball vs his 89mph hung slider that gets hit hard most of the time. Most cases I hate it when pitchers are over reliant on the fastball, but when a guy throws 98-102, that’s the exception to my rule.

If he was throwing 92-93 mph with his fastball, I’d 100% agree with your POV.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how it looks as long as you get the Dub. That being said, pulling Castillo was plain dumb. I had bad Servais nightmares for a little bit there.
Yes, he's doing a good job this year, but come on man. He was in a zone, sitting at 95 pitches, 1 hit scoreless thru 7. And you pull him? Weak
Gotta keep that arm fresh for the postseason. There's wisdom in playing the hot hand but when your starter gets you through 7 amazing innings and you're up big on a scoreless opponent, late in a season that is sure to include a deep run at the championship, it's not rightly stupid to pull your ace early to keep him fresh.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
All in how you look at it. Another batter or two in the 8th wouldn't have made a difference overall. Servais being extra careful when his guy was on his A game almost cost them the game. Just my opinion it was dumb. Just because it worked out, doesn't mean it's not justified to question his decision making as a Manager in that situation.