Does Macdonald keep Geno?

bigcc

Reaction score
2 ACL's is my concern too. I like him - BUT.......
It's not enough to scare me away, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it the few times I saw him take off running.

Don't think it'll be an issue as long as he's not playing hero ball like Josh Allen, or rg3 who had a similar problem with his acl.

Shame too, rg3 could have been great, luckily penix is pretty good about avoiding contact

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I understood 22.5 between the two seasons, maybe it's 24 but that'd be even better.

Think of it this way, if you cut him, you're not saving 13, you're saving 24 due to the next year. That 11 mil next year, can be used to extend someone like lockett, to free cap room this year after pushing some of his money forward.
That’s true, but I’d like to also have a copetiitive team in 2024, give the rookie a year to watch and learn rather than throw him into the deep end of the pool in year-1.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
2 ACL's is my concern too. I like him - BUT.......
One more in the same knee, and NFL success will be essentially unprecedented in a knee with that much past trauma.

Thomas Davis is one of less than 5, and perhaps the only, player to ever play in the NFL after tearing an ACL thrice, IIRC.

Rat

Reaction score
The Ringer put out their annual draft guide this past week. I thought it was funny that their NFL comparison for Penix is "a Southpaw Geno Smith".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ouch.
I get crap for saying it, but I sometimes wonder if people on the East Coast actually watch UW football, or Pac 12 football at all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Nah, people have already made up their minds about the guy. I'm glad the scouts and the teams are the ones making the choice.

A scout I saw recently said purely on film he’s the best QB in the draft and does things very, very few guys in the NFL can even do. The only thing that will knock him is if his joints are in terrible shape. But I’m with you, tape wise he’s special.

Parallax

Reaction score
Yes, but you can use that argument for Alabama, Georgia etc for almost any position. Thing is he had those players and performed, he will have NFL players all around him after he gets drafted so your point will be?
Talent differential, my friend. Talent differential.

Parallax

Reaction score
I would have been much less Gung ho about drafting a qb were it carroll here... I still would have been, but with a new HC that's here for the long haul, if there's a qb there they like they have to take him. Full stop.

BTW most QB's don't last a full season... Literally. Both of the last two seasons, only 12 QB's started all 17.

So that applies to anyone, unless you're talking about not not lasting a season for his career because of injury, which would be beyond ludicrous
When a guy's had four season ending injuries, and he's getting significant guaranteed money, if he were badly injured again, there has to be a real chance he'd retire. He thought about when he was injured at Indiana.

keasley45

Reaction score
So what happened to him in the NCG? I'll admit I'd never seen him play but that game didn't leave me thinking much positive at all. I mean, not only was he spraying shots everywhere, but he looked completely confused. I left thinking that if he'd played better prior (and I understand he was highly touted) maybe the competition wasn't on par, or that maybe the spotlight was too bright. But there was nothing redeeming about his performance. He missed several plays.

And then he skipped the senior bowl...

The taste it leaves (and I will admit that I have limited exposure to the dude) is that he strategically avoided a 2nd big stage, when literally all eyes in the football world would be on him, in favor of performing in drills at thr combine.

It's hard not to be extremely skeptical that he can duplicate his success in the PNW, running 'mad scientist's schemes, against college talent, when few were really, REALLY looking at him to the degree they were when the lights were brightest.

The lights never dim in the NFL. If he struggles, snowballs become snow boulders quickly...

There are quite a few qbs every year who do really well at the combine but never put it all together in the pressure cooker of the NFL.

Parallax

Reaction score
So what happened to him in the NCG? I'll admit I'd never seen him play but that game didn't leave me thinking much positive at all. I mean, not only was he spraying shots everywhere, but he looked completely confused. I left thinking that if he'd played better prior (and I understand he was highly touted) maybe the competition wasn't on par, or that maybe the spotlight was too bright. But there was nothing redeeming about his performance. He missed several plays.

The taste it leaves (and I will admit that I have limited exposure to the dude) is that he strategically avoided a 2nd big stage, when literally all eyes in the football world would be on him, in favor of performing in drills at thr combine.

It's hard not to be extremely skeptical that he can duplicate his success in the PNW, running 'mad scientist's schemes, against college talent, when few were really, REALLY looking at him to the degree they were when the lights were brightest.

The lights never dim in the NFL. If he struggles, snowballs become snow boulders quickly...

There are quite a few qbs every year who do really well at the combine but never put it all together in the pressure cooker of the NFL.
I share your concerns but would be happy to take a chance on him if he drops to the third round. I won't pitch a fit if the coaches draft him at #16 but I'll have concerns.

He looked great in the Sugar Bowl. Best he looked all year. But our OL was able to hold up and mostly give him time. When they didn't, he slid around the pocket with aplomb, avoiding T'Vondre Sweat like an all pro. The following game, with our OL overwhelmed and no decent running game to hold them off, he looked lost and scared and his passes were not accurate.

I personally think the Michigan game was a better simulation of what he'll face in the NFL than the Texas game. Of course I could be wrong. It's really hard to predict QB performance. I was super skeptical about Richardson last year and he surprised me by playing well until he was injured.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Tyler Huntley is a good few steps behind Geno.

I dont get what the issue is with keeping Geno at his contract when top players in the league are going to be pulling in 60mil per year?

We won 9 games last year and the 8 losses weren't because he played poorly.

Fix the run game sobtgat its better than 29th.

Fix the o line so it's better than 27th

Improve the defense to something better than 30th and we win at least 2 more games, improving nothing else.

I dont understand the logic in leaving wins on the table to save money. Sounds like the Mariners.
I'm surprised they went 9-8.

12forlife

Reaction score
Real question, if McCarthy goes top 15. And we have Penix, Nix & Rattler available after we move down to mid 20's, which one are you taking a chance on? 2 months ago it was a toss up between Penix & Nix, now I'm leaning towards Rattler.

Parallax

Reaction score
Real question, if McCarthy goes top 15. And we have Penix, Nix & Rattler available after we move down to mid 20's, which one are you taking a chance on? 2 months ago it was a toss up between Penix & Nix, now I'm leaning towards Rattler.
I don't have nearly the knowledge to make an educated guess. Rob Stanton, for a long time, was suggesting Rattler is the way to go. That he had grown a lot as a person and was performing well when one considered the pressure he faced consistently and the talent around him. I watched some games and tape and was not blown away by what I saw but I could be wrong.

Today he did a mock draft that had the Hawks taking Penix late in the first after trading down. He cited the arm strength.

Nix doesn't have a great arm but I like his athleticism and he seems to have a great leadership quality. As does Penix.

I'd defer to our GM on this. Whomever we got, I'd be excited to see what happens. Unless he went with JJ McCarthy. Then I'd have concerns because I just don't see a lot of anything with that guy. But again, what do I know?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If that were the scenario I would probably go with Rattler because he has proven he can produce while having a terrible OL. But I wouldn't be angry if they took Penix but no Nix or McCarthy please.

bigcc

Reaction score
When a guy's had four season ending injuries, and he's getting significant guaranteed money, if he were badly injured again, there has to be a real chance he'd retire. He thought about when he was injured at Indiana.
That's a really awful thing to imply man.

Yeah he suffered 4 season ending injuries in a row all as a ruse to swindle the team that drafts him.

Everyone who has suffered terrible injuries like that has that type of moment.

I'm not going to go any further with this... I hope you didn't mean to, but what you're implying goes beyond football and is a terrible thing to imply about someone's character.

Parallax

Reaction score
That's a really awful thing to imply man.

Yeah he suffered 4 season ending injuries in a row all as a ruse to swindle the team that drafts him.

Everyone who has suffered terrible injuries like that has that type of moment.

I'm not going to go any further with this... I hope you didn't mean to, but what you're implying goes beyond football and is a terrible thing to imply about someone's character.
I'm not implying anything. I'm not suggesting he's looking to rip anyone off. But if one gets injured badly, they may decide it's time to hang it up. And if they're already set for life, as a guy who goes 16 gets something like $17,000,000 guaranteed, they don't need to worry about money.

I don't think there's anything immoral about that. Just as we don't expect Russell Wilson to give back part of the money he'll earn on his contract even though Denver didn't get what they were paying for.

bigcc

Reaction score

30 players skipped the senior bowl.

Bo and rattler were "limited".

Should these guys be taking snaps from guys they worked with all week who might not get another chance?

Literal nothing burger, you can't even find a box score for it online lmao.

Did you even watch the NC? Was one of his worse games surely? That being said, like 5 big drops (3 maybe 4 on Polk, one on tybo, at least one more), his defense gave up 174 rushing yards in the first quarter so dl could pin their ears back, especially when uw rb could barely walk, literally.

I guess the lights weren't on when he threw 29/38 430 2/0 with 30 rushing yards.

"that playoff game doesn't count! "

Y'all are clowns 🤡 honk honk

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm not implying anything. I'm not suggesting he's looking to rip anyone off. But if one gets injured badly, they may decide it's time to hang it up. And if they're already set for life, as a guy who goes 16 gets something like $17,000,000 guaranteed, they don't need to worry about money.

I don't think there's anything immoral about that. Just as we don't expect Russell Wilson to give back part of the money he'll earn on his contract even though Denver didn't get what they were paying for.
If he quit (and that's what it would be), he'd be considered one of the biggest wusses in sports history. And whether you intend to or not you're implying it. Thinking about retiring when you're at your lowest is not the same thing as getting healthy and saying "well, don't wanna go through that again, I got mine, deuces losers!"

Also guy last year at pick 16 got 15.4, 8.2 guaranteed. It'll be slightly higher than that but not by much.

Beyond the implications made, penix would burn through that 8 on lawyers after the hawks tried to recoup it.

Consider yourself lucky you've never been through PT for something like this. I'm sure he was just dreaming of the money after his fourth season ending injury when he still came back 🙄.... Just hope you know that it's OK to be worried about injuries, but even suggesting he might hang it up is pretty much "suggesting" he's a bitch.