Does Macdonald keep Geno?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
For one season, yes. I think we take a QB in the draft and have him behind Geno for the year. Pretty common take across Seattle radio today as well. Just seems to make sense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's not MacDonald calling the shots here, it's John Schneider. Of course, MacDonald's preferences will for sure make a difference, it could be he gets here and doesn't like Geno. I could see us just deciding to cut him and roll with a cheap veteran and rookie QB due to cap restraints. Then again, Smith does remind me a bit of another player by the name of Smith, Alex Smith. MacDonald did coach underneath Jim Harbaugh --- if he has similar philosophies I could see us rolling with him.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Geno isn't terrible. In the right system he can put in the work and get you enough wins to get into the dance. With a strong defense, and a solid running game, he can manage well enough after that.

I'm still convinced he was injured worse than we knew about in that Giants game and didn't get right until the last few games, which was also compounded by getting assassinated by Aaron Donald.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Some are treating Geno like he's a notch or two below where he's at. It could be one more year of Geno. It might be more if they don't love the QBs who make it to us (or the cost to trade up).

CPHawk

Reaction score
Some are treating Geno like he's a notch or two below where he's at. It could be one more year of Geno. It might be more if they don't love the QBs who make it to us (or the cost to trade up).
And what notch do you think he is?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Please no. I am not saying he is bad but he and his contract are not a piece of a Super Bowl contending team. And before you say his contract is reasonable it might be but NOT for a rebuilding team. Use his money on players to develop. No expectations next year except building the team. Oh and the “Geno could be that guy if we had a top 5 defense and ran the ball a lot and built a great o-line” argument fails because so could dozens of other (cheaper) QBs and probably a couple posters on this board.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd be curious what Macdonald thinks of Tyler Huntley, who is going to be a free agent and has looked capable backing up Lamar Jackson in the past. He's only 25 and might be ready for an increased role. Possibly a good, cheaper option if he wants to move on from Geno for whatever reason, or maybe he could be thrown into the mix with Geno.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Well one thing is for CERTAIN. We definitely need at MINIMUM, ten more threads about this same subject within the next week. You have your assignments...

Thirty threads over the next month is an easily attainable goal!
Yeah! Silly excited people! How dare they be happy about something Seahawks related.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'd be curious what Macdonald thinks of Tyler Huntley, who is going to be a free agent and has looked capable backing up Lamar Jackson in the past. He's only 25 and might be ready for an increased role. Possibly a good, cheaper option if he wants to move on from Geno for whatever reason, or maybe he could be thrown into the mix with Geno.
Tyler Huntley is a good few steps behind Geno.

I dont get what the issue is with keeping Geno at his contract when top players in the league are going to be pulling in 60mil per year?

We won 9 games last year and the 8 losses weren't because he played poorly.

Fix the run game sobtgat its better than 29th.

Fix the o line so it's better than 27th

Improve the defense to something better than 30th and we win at least 2 more games, improving nothing else.

I dont understand the logic in leaving wins on the table to save money. Sounds like the Mariners.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Geno stays, you will see what happens when we have a more aggressive offense, Pete bend don't break and play things safe style without a lot of middle of the field and crossing routes and predictable calls won't be here anymore. Pete being older got comfortable in what he did, look at the success, but once figured out yo9u have to adjust, not something we did on either side of the ball, when we did go off script as soon as a mistake happened we were quickly redirected to what was before.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Geno stays, you will see what happens when we have a more aggressive offense, Pete bend don't break and play things safe style without a lot of middle of the field and crossing routes and predictable calls won't be here anymore. Pete being older got comfortable in what he did, look at the success, but once figured out yo9u have to adjust, not something we did on either side of the ball, when we did go off script as soon as a mistake happened we were quickly redirected to what was before.
X100

WarHawks

Reaction score
I hope not. I'm so ready to move on. Almost any qb can replace Geno's level of play, and hopefully we will draft one that will far exceed it.