Does Macdonald keep Geno?

GemCity

Reaction score
I think that view of there being less talent in the Pac-12 is what upsets people. Look at how well the Pac-12 did this past year. Was perhaps the best conference in terms of talent. The style of play may be different but some of the commentators make it sound like it's not even football.

There were some great teams from coast to coast this last season. Certainly Michigan, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State. But I don't know that there was a tougher conference from top to bottom than the Pac-12 in its final rendition.
💯

I live just outside of Cincy and am ofc an OSU fan. In the past, I’ve usually focused on two conferences…Big 10 and the SEC.

I still think that, year after year, the SEC is the most competitive conference.

But, watching the PAC-12 last season left me very impressed. They definitely deserve more exposure.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kaepernick? No.

His decision making alone is MILES ahead of Klappersnatch. Plus, Kaep was a really fast runner, better runner than a QB in a lot of ways.
Another misconception on Penix. His accuracy is plenty good. He often had to throw the ball away.
Also, many games he would overthrow a guy early, and nearly EVERY TIME he would come back to the same guy with a ridiculous TD pass. His long ball accuracy is incredible. We would be sitting in the stands saying "Oh well, next drive he'll throw a TD on the same exact play"
It happened so often; we just expected it all the time. I'm not going down this rabbit hole again. Go Hawks. Go Penix.
Well, I mean, I didn't really touch on their decision making as much. The "all ways" part of my comment was worded poorly.

Also, yeah, I wanted to qualify that I didn't think they were similar rushers. I just think they have reminiscent passing mechanics to one another when it comes to power, velocity, touch, and overthrow tendencies. I harbor no misconceptions about Penix rushing like Kaepernick or as frequently as Kaepernick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya. Sometimes that arm strength is too much. Absolute cannon, even if it doesn't look like it.
I've just never cared about mechanics and how it looks. Results are truly what matters. Penix is way more accurate than Klappersnack. And massively better as a decision maker. Kaep did have a cannon though.

chris98251

Reaction score
People bring up one game against Michigan and are writing him off.

Lets take one game against the Seahawks, is Manning trash also?

WmHBonney

Reaction score

Huh? A college kid getting written off because he flopped in the title game vs a HOF QB that was thrashed in the Superbowl? Good grief.

chris98251

Reaction score
Huh? A college kid getting written off because he flopped in the title game vs a HOF QB that was thrashed in the Superbowl? Good grief.
Yes sample of 1 game, doesn't matter who, Penix was looked at as one of the best in the country, Manning was leading the most prolific offense ever. One game and Manning looked like a back up, Penix looked frustrated and out of sort.

Manning looked as if he should have never been on the field, Penix looked like he could hardly read a defense.

Both are better than that one game showed them to be is the point, I can draw a picture if that helps.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

Are there people basing opinions on one game against Michigan? Or, are there a bunch of Penix fanboys attempting to reduce the argument to strawmen and the butthurtedness they feel when Penix is not universally worshipped?

To all the Penix fanboys in here. Your use of logical fallacies such as strawmen, your emotional responses to logical arguments, your attacks on the character of posters rather than the posts, and your rejection of facts in favor of your feelings are all completely valid ways of discussing the topic. On behalf of all the objective posters bringing up reasonable concerns about Penix's injury history and skillset, I humbly apologize for your hurt feelings.

Parallax

Reaction score
No sense getting bent out of shape about any of this. At the end of the day, none of us has any control over what happens. All we can do is watch.

Personally, I think all quarterbacks are incredibly difficult to project into the NFL and Penix exponentially more so than most. He's got a world class arm but a history of four major season-ending injuries, including two ACL tears. He didn't plan in an offense anything like he'll face in the NFL and his performance was all over the place this past season (yes, I saw every game). Anyone who says he only struggled against Michigan didn't see what I saw. That was the first game he lost, but he struggled a lot after the first Oregon game. It's not clear if he was injured. He didn't do well in games involving rain, though some of that was due to his receivers dropping passes. There were nights he wasn't accurate and his best passes tended to be along the sidelines or toward the end zone.

I could see him doing really well in the NFL. I could also see him not lasting long. He's the proverbial high ceiling, low floor guy.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If only someone would pay me a few million to make this tough call. I'd suffer through it somehow.

bigcc

Reaction score
No sense getting bent out of shape about any of this. At the end of the day, none of us has any control over what happens. All we can do is watch.

Personally, I think all quarterbacks are incredibly difficult to project into the NFL and Penix exponentially more so than most. He's got a world class arm but a history of four major season-ending injuries, including two ACL tears. He didn't plan in an offense anything like he'll face in the NFL and his performance was all over the place this past season (yes, I saw every game). Anyone who says he only struggled against Michigan didn't see what I saw. That was the first game he lost, but he struggled a lot after the first Oregon game. It's not clear if he was injured. He didn't do well in games involving rain, though some of that was due to his receivers dropping passes. There were nights he wasn't accurate and his best passes tended to be along the sidelines or toward the end zone.

I could see him doing really well in the NFL. I could also see him not lasting long. He's the proverbial high ceiling, low floor guy.
Struggled a lot after the first Oregon game?

He definitely struggled vs asu, uw historically has trouble with them for whatever reason.

The next 7 games (5 against top 25 teams), 2072 yards, 15 td 4 int.... So 296 yards per game over 2 tds bit over half an int per game

So not as prolific as usual but saying he struggled afterwards is a stretch. How about you give me a period of his career where Lock HASN'T struggled, you literally can't find a 3 game stretch.

These are numbers against the 20,18,11,5,3 ranked teams btw, of course his numbers are going to go down, and he still put up great numbers and didn't lose despite the difficult stretch.

He struggled vs asu and osu, and any qb would have struggled vs osu, because besides being the 11th ranked team it was in a monsoon. Jalynn Polk dropped 4 passes alone and he's a fringe 1st round/probably 2nd round pick, not some scrub dropping passes because of the rain. Some of penixs throws were definitely off, but I've seen maybe 2 or 3 nfl games ever rain that hard over the last 20 years or so.

EDIT: it's one thing to be worried about his health (2 seasons without missing a snap), but don't make stuff up to create a narrative.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
2nd in Heisman trophy voting qb vs mvp that year qb

If you don't see what the comparison was made for I don't know what to tell you..... One bad game doesn't write off the previous two years he put up.

bigcc

Reaction score
It doesn't matter boys, his OC is here, penix is the future if he's there at 16. The time was now before the hiring, and this just confirms it.

If you don't see the writing on the wall you're in for a harsh reality check.

Cross your fingers for fautanu I guess,but I wouldn't count on it

Parallax

Reaction score
It doesn't matter boys, his OC is here, penix is the future if he's there at 16. The time was now before the hiring, and this just confirms it.

If you don't see the writing on the wall you're in for a harsh reality check.

Cross your fingers for fautanu I guess,but I wouldn't count on it
I don't see the Hawks taking Penix at 16 just because Grubb is our OC. Schneider will take whomever he believes to be the best player available on his board unless he trades. We may wind up Penix and I won't be unhappy if we do. It's a calculated risk. Any QB is. But Penix is riskier than most. Classic high ceiling, low floor guy.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Are there people basing opinions on one game against Michigan? Or, are there a bunch of Penix fanboys attempting to reduce the argument to strawmen and the butthurtedness they feel when Penix is not universally worshipped?

To all the Penix fanboys in here. Your use of logical fallacies such as strawmen, your emotional responses to logical arguments, your attacks on the character of posters rather than the posts, and your rejection of facts in favor of your feelings are all completely valid ways of discussing the topic. On behalf of all the objective posters bringing up reasonable concerns about Penix's injury history and skillset, I humbly apologize for your hurt feelings.
The question is should the arrows for Penix also be point at Grubb?

Latest posts