@DangeRuss ordered to play in first preseason game.

bileever

Reaction score
It might give Wilson some confidence to play a preseason game against a defense that might not be playing its best players. Besides, it's the Cardinals, so even if their starting defense played, it could be an opportunity for Wilson to get back on track.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't think it's "disrespect" to play your starting QB a few snaps in the first preseason game. Russ obviously won't play a ton in the preseason.

Just because wrapping QBs in bubble wrap until week one has become the norm, doesn't mean it is good coaching.

I also do believe that fans deserve to see the starters for at least a series or two in preseason games, like we ALWAYS did not too long ago.

I realize this is about Seattle fans hating on Russ more than anything else, but for fans to be saying that a head coach with a NEW team is showing "disrespect" by playing his starters a bit in the first preseason game is almost beyond the pale.
Yeah, the hating on Russell thing has become the norm with my fellow Seahawk fans. How in the hell does anyone know that Russell was "ordered" to play? You don't typically call a starting lineup put up by the coach "orders" as if they're in the army or something, but if you want to make Player X look bad, you use the term to make it appear as if he didn't want to play and was forced to by his coach.

We don't even know whose decision it was last season to sit him out, with the greatest likelihood being that it was a joint decision that both player and coach agreed on. But whoever decision it was, it was extremely unwise, one that Payton and/or Russell aren't going to repeat and one that I happen to agree with. Russell needs the work, and Payton needs to see how his $1/4 billion quarterback adjusts to his new offense in a game situation.

The league wide trend has been to sit starters in the preseason more so than in the past. It used to be that all the starters played in every preseason game except the last one, with PS Game 3 seeing the starters play for 3/4 of the game. But it's now a 17 game season with expanded playoffs and teams are antsy about exposing their stars that they have given these enormous contracts to being injured in a meaningless game.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Name another vet qb expected to start the first preseason game. Its not like Kyler Murray is showing up. Instead, the cards will put out Colt McCoy along with Etling and Alex McCough As Russ’ competition.
Just off the top of my head, you can start with Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz last season. Both started in Preseason Game 1. I remember looking at those QB's with new teams that played in the preseason when Russell sat out. It's normal for a veteran QB with a new team/new offense to at least play some during the preseason.

Murray is coming off major knee surgery, so it's no surprise to see the Cards sit him at least in the first preseason game.

I love all of you guys, but you're really reaching for anything to make Russell look bad or to support your narratives about him.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I thought the presumptive starter always starts the first preseason game. They run a drive or a quarter, then they sit. They only sit out the final preseason game.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the presumptive starter always starts the first preseason game. They run a drive or a quarter, then they sit. They only sit out the final preseason game.

That was the old way in years past but in recent years it's far more common to severely limit the starters in preseason to maybe a few snaps, if at all, presumably to limit the chances for injury before the season even begins.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, you can start with Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz last season. Both started in Preseason Game 1. I remember looking at those QB's with new teams that played in the preseason when Russell sat out. It's normal for a veteran QB with a new team/new offense to at least play some during the preseason.

Murray is coming off major knee surgery, so it's no surprise to see the Cards sit him at least in the first preseason game.

I love all of you guys, but you're really reaching for anything to make Russell look bad or to support your narratives about him.

Not sure where this writer got the Wilson requested for PTO,

chrispy

Reaction score
That was the old way in years past but in recent years it's far more common to severely limit the starters in preseason to maybe a few snaps, if at all, presumably to limit the chances for injury before the season even begins.
Aros nails it here....
The downside to playing the starter at all in pre-season is a possible injury. The upside is getting him some snaps and (probably moreso with RCW) installation of a new offense.

There's just a lot more reward than risk: both because Payton wants to see if he can still play Pete-ball and if he gets hurt, meh...no biggie: put in Stidham game 1.

RiverDog

Reaction score

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t see it as disrespect. Now, if he’s out there for more than two quarters… that’s another story 😛

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Not since the 3 game preseason schedule
Not sure if I am getting it right, I thought the starters or stars either sit out the whole preseason to avoid injuries, or just take a few snaps in the 3rd and final preseason game.

keasley45

Reaction score
Not sure if I am getting it right, I thought the starters or stars either sit out the whole preseason to avoid injuries, or just take a few snaps in the 3rd and final preseason game.
Correct. Since last year or the year prior, starters have sat most of the preseason, save for the 3rd game... for some.

rcaido

Reaction score
Wilson played week 1 every pre-season as a Seahawk but one year. Which was in 2019. Most of the time QB's play on Week 1 for one set which is the norm. Then a quarter week 2, and then half in week 3. Week 4 is always the people trying to make the team.

After 2020 preseason were cancelled due to Covid. Now it seems teams are more cautious in letting their starting QB play in week 1.

Besides Wilson, their are other starters playing on week 1 preseason. Trevor Lawerence & Derek Carr is scheduled to play. At least 7 more projected starters to play in week 1 which includes the top 3 rookie Qb. Not all teams announce if their starter is playing in week 1. Seahawks hasn't announced it yet, so not sure if Geno will play.

strohmin

Reaction score
A few years back Wilson came to camp looking like he wraps a foam pad around his mid section under his jersey. It took me a while to realize that was just fat.
Yeah, I dont understand why he wanted to bulk up so much. He was pretty damn fit early in his career. He gained so much uneccessary fat while bulking. There was no need to bulk up to absorb hits since he was pretty damn elusive. He could have focussed on avoid big hits rather than tryjng to absorb them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Yeah, I dont understand why he wanted to bulk up so much. He was pretty damn fit early in his career. He gained so much uneccessary fat while bulking. There was no need to bulk up to absorb hits since he was pretty damn elusive. He could have focussed on avoid big hits rather than tryjng to absorb them.
Timing wise, iirc, that coincided with him snuggling up to the siren that is Ciara.

Ulysses (Russ) crashes on the rocks and drowns hearing the song of the siren, seemingly calling from the depths of the abyss.

Last edited:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Considering he has a new coach with a new scheme, he should play a series or two. Not doing so last season was clearly a mistake.

New scheme, though? Payton is pretty much going to handcuff Russ to a strong if not dominant Run Game and let Russ live or die on his Heroball sword. Run, Run, Pass. Sounds familiar.