Jettisoning Pete when he doesn't have a QB1?

morgulon1

Reaction score
There wasn't really much there in 2022 and they had no real opportunity to grab the worthwhile prospects in 2023...

This seems like an unfair criticism. You don't just manifest quarterbacks of the future because you want one, and you can't just decide "wow, I want to attain one now!" as if there is any consistent supply of them.
Sorry but I have to mention that Seattle didn't even draft a decent project over the last 10 years because of Mr Unlimited's fragile psyche. Seattle was stuck bringing in retreads that wouldn't threaten his pride.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sorry but I have to mention that Seattle didn't even draft a decent project over the last 10 years because of Mr Unlimited's fragile psyche. Seattle was stuck bringing in retreads that wouldn't threaten his pride.
This is a fair point. John was ahead of the curve, by years and years. To think where this franchise would be right now if they'd gone after his big crushes in Mahomes and Allen in terms of future outlook..

morgulon1

Reaction score
This is a fair point. John was ahead of the curve, by years and years. To think where this franchise would be right now if they'd gone after his big crushes in Mahomes and Allen in terms of future outlook..
I just want them to improve. Be competitive. I really dislike where they're at.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Pete won with a defense not russell
Russel was part of a chorus dominated by a legendary defense. He still that year gave Seattle an edge, even if the defense were the main players.

That being said, whether some hawk fans like it or not, Wilson was not just a #1 QB but a franchise QB that’ll go down in this team’s history. More than once, especially after the defense faded into the history books, he dragged this team on his back with various heroics.

Pete not getting more SB with the LOB was criminal. Pete not getting a SB with a prime Wilson is equally just as criminal.

Xxx

Reaction score
Russel was part of a chorus dominated by a legendary defense. He still that year gave Seattle an edge, even if the defense were the main players.

That being said, whether some hawk fans like it or not, Wilson was not just a #1 QB but a franchise QB that’ll go down in this team’s history. More than once, especially after the defense faded into the history books, he dragged this team on his back with various heroics.

Pete not getting more SB with the LOB was criminal. Pete not getting a SB with a prime Wilson is equally just as criminal.
He definitely has the winning gene but that sure ain’t what gave us a Super Bowl. If it was we’d have two

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Geno Smith played a lights-out 2022 that made me want to root for him in 2023. Unfortunately, he reverted to the mean this year. That stat he produced - I forget where I read it - where he led the league in turnover-worthy QB plays last year and just got extremely lucky that they kept getting dropped - has officially bitten him in the hindquarters in 2023. It's why I stayed away from Seattle offensive players in my fantasy leagues this year despite my hopes for Geno. And with his increasing age and a contract coming up, it's hard to see him as the QBOTF.

Pete and Waldron are the ones getting the blame. But they're also getting calls for their heads - before being given a shot at another QB1.

No head coach plays in February without a legit QB in this league. Even Bill Belichick has been revealed to be little more than an empty hoodie without an elite signal-caller on his roster (to say nothing of Josh McDaniels). I'm just one of those guys who sees QB play as the only really relevant factor. The rules changes in the last 20 years have made it so.

Geno is elite in flashes. It isn't enough, though I hate to admit it because his attitude change and comeback story were a great example for the league and deserved better.

But why give Pete his walking papers over Geno ?

I would never claim head coaching doesn't matter at all. Sean Payton is turning the Broncos from a bottom-dweller into a surprise upset-generator (beating both the Chiefs and the Bills). The Raiders are playing inspired football with Antonio Pierce taking over as their new front guy midseason. Under DeMeco Ryans, CJ Stroud and Devin Singletary are taking the offense into the limelight; they've won three straight and aren't likely to lose to the Jags this week.

Seattle's teams have always overachieved with Pete at the helm. This is something I'm NOT willing to pin on just the QB, Russell Wilson though he may have been. It would not seem Geno will be the guy under him, but our defense and WR corps have been littered with mediocre guys who overachieved, from Thomas Rawls to Bradley McDougal to Marquise Goodwin to Poona Ford. They've stayed in games, fought until the end. Ask anyone and that's his legacy.

Additionally, this is a good environment for a rookie QB to enter. Pete and John have killed the last two drafts. We've got a good OL (somewhere), a ton of weapons on offense, and multiple superstars on defense. And we'll have a bridge QB either way if the rookie needs to sit. The picture isn't complete, but we're far from the 2010 Rams.

Unless you're a Will Levis truther, this isn't the right situation to fire Pete. I'd be more sympathetic to that mantra without the last two excellent draft hauls. But this could also be a Belichick/Coughlin situation (minus the same veteran QB) - yeah there's a lapse for a few years, but the right players in the building plan bring it back.

Don't get so desperate for change that you root for what turns out to be the next McDaniels. Our biases have a tendency to view the unknown as good. Typically, it doesn't turn out that way. I say give him his shot to find a new QBOTF.
I like your points. They're good and stuff I haven't thought of, but...

Carroll has been the same for 12 seasons. Same looking offense, same looking defense. He is the VP of operations, he has COMPLETE control of the Seahawks. It's in his contract as such. Meaning this vanilla offense falls on him. Zone defense is on him. He controls who he hires as the coordinator's on both sides of the ball, AND he controls the talent. With all that I said, he has become easy to game plan against. Hence all the losses to the 9ers and Rams. He doesn't change, nor adapt. Seahawks used to be a second half team under his tenure, no longer because again, he isn't adapting any longer. Plug and play players into his system isn't working any longer because he's been figured out, and again, he isn't adapting.

Time for a change, period.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Exactly. Pete doesn’t have a QB1 because he refuses to do what’s needed to find one. Geno Smith was always fool’s gold. At least the rest of the roster is being built up in the hope this team stumbles over itself to find one.
There have been no good options in the draft the last couple years. You'd have Will Levis.

Ozzy

Reaction score

It’s baffling that so many people forget all of Wilson’s late game heroics that even the LOB teams needed at times to get wins. The idea that Russ wasn’t a massive piece of their success is goofy.