Jettisoning Pete when he doesn't have a QB1?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Things would look so much different with the right QB. Are you going to win every game, no.

They make the defense better by getting more rest and they put you in position to win every game.

If we had a top 5 QB this year we’re sitting at 8-3 instead of 6-5.
I don't agree.

Josh Allen - 6-5
Justin Herbert - 4-6
Joe Burrow - 5-5 (I know he's been hurt)

This defense is not good. It's not like Geno is failing to hit wide open receivers, he's constantly throwing into coverage, constantly getting pressured.

A top 5 QB would be great, I'm not against getting a top 5 qb. We aren't a top 5 QB away from 8-3.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Said this before. Geno is a career backup, played well enough to get paid, easy enough to do but not to maintain.

The game has passed by PC, its time to retire.

New GM, Coach and QB, do a full rebuild not just a remodel.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Geno didn't call a run play from the shotgun formation on 4th and inches. Even high school coaches don't do stupid shit like that.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
There wasn't really much there in 2022 and they had no real opportunity to grab the worthwhile prospects in 2023...

This seems like an unfair criticism. You don't just manifest quarterbacks of the future because you want one, and you can't just decide "wow, I want to attain one now!" as if there is any consistent supply

Geno didn't call a run play from the shotgun formation on 4th and inches. Even high school coaches don't do stupid shit like that.
That was a really dumb call. It made me furious. You know what else was a really dumb call? Geno calling a run play with no time outs and 32 seconds left. Unbelievably stupid decision. Spike the ball for goodness sake.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Everything the Seahawks do from here on out should be towards acquiring a franchise QB.

We will not win anything until that guy is in the building.

so to get that QBOTF we should... tank! I mean thats what Adams and Diggs do, but at least Adams does it with effort, while Diggs its business choices.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
so to get that QBOTF we should... tank! I mean thats what Adams and Diggs do, but at least Adams does it with effort, while Diggs its business choices.
I think we can find the guy in the first round with our pick. There’s some good QB’s available this year.

knownone

Reaction score
I agree that what we've seen isn't a good reason to fire Pete. But the issues on offense are not due to a lack of an elite QB. Sure: If we had Mahomes or Allen, we might find ways to win some of these games. However, that is not a realistic solution to our problems. There are more significant issues if we need a top 5 guy for the offense to function. Whether that's O-line talent or play calling, I don't know. But the problems we've seen are more than just on Geno.

Xxx

Reaction score
Geno Smith played a lights-out 2022 that made me want to root for him in 2023. Unfortunately, he reverted to the mean this year. That stat he produced - I forget where I read it - where he led the league in turnover-worthy QB plays last year and just got extremely lucky that they kept getting dropped - has officially bitten him in the hindquarters in 2023. It's why I stayed away from Seattle offensive players in my fantasy leagues this year despite my hopes for Geno. And with his increasing age and a contract coming up, it's hard to see him as the QBOTF.

Pete and Waldron are the ones getting the blame. But they're also getting calls for their heads - before being given a shot at another QB1.

No head coach plays in February without a legit QB in this league. Even Bill Belichick has been revealed to be little more than an empty hoodie without an elite signal-caller on his roster (to say nothing of Josh McDaniels). I'm just one of those guys who sees QB play as the only really relevant factor. The rules changes in the last 20 years have made it so.

Geno is elite in flashes. It isn't enough, though I hate to admit it because his attitude change and comeback story were a great example for the league and deserved better.

But why give Pete his walking papers over Geno ?

I would never claim head coaching doesn't matter at all. Sean Payton is turning the Broncos from a bottom-dweller into a surprise upset-generator (beating both the Chiefs and the Bills). The Raiders are playing inspired football with Antonio Pierce taking over as their new front guy midseason. Under DeMeco Ryans, CJ Stroud and Devin Singletary are taking the offense into the limelight; they've won three straight and aren't likely to lose to the Jags this week.

Seattle's teams have always overachieved with Pete at the helm. This is something I'm NOT willing to pin on just the QB, Russell Wilson though he may have been. It would not seem Geno will be the guy under him, but our defense and WR corps have been littered with mediocre guys who overachieved, from Thomas Rawls to Bradley McDougal to Marquise Goodwin to Poona Ford. They've stayed in games, fought until the end. Ask anyone and that's his legacy.

Additionally, this is a good environment for a rookie QB to enter. Pete and John have killed the last two drafts. We've got a good OL (somewhere), a ton of weapons on offense, and multiple superstars on defense. And we'll have a bridge QB either way if the rookie needs to sit. The picture isn't complete, but we're far from the 2010 Rams.

Unless you're a Will Levis truther, this isn't the right situation to fire Pete. I'd be more sympathetic to that mantra without the last two excellent draft hauls. But this could also be a Belichick/Coughlin situation (minus the same veteran QB) - yeah there's a lapse for a few years, but the right players in the building plan bring it back.

Don't get so desperate for change that you root for what turns out to be the next McDaniels. Our biases have a tendency to view the unknown as good. Typically, it doesn't turn out that way. I say give him his shot to find a new QBOTF.
I would give Pete another shot but he needs to take a qb. I’d even keep geno around but know that we are trying to get the new qb ready. I really think Pete is letting Waldo makes these calls, and I think geno is not making checks at the line of scrimmage. I want to know exactly whose idea it was to run that draw on 4th and inches, not who was quality control and missed nixing it, but who was responsible for geno handing that ball off. That person is who needs to go. That play was a summation of all that is wrong.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Have you seen Adams play this year? More knee jerk ignorant comments

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Geno Smith played a lights-out 2022 that made me want to root for him in 2023. Unfortunately, he reverted to the mean this year. That stat he produced - I forget where I read it - where he led the league in turnover-worthy QB plays last year and just got extremely lucky that they kept getting dropped - has officially bitten him in the hindquarters in 2023. It's why I stayed away from Seattle offensive players in my fantasy leagues this year despite my hopes for Geno. And with his increasing age and a contract coming up, it's hard to see him as the QBOTF.

Pete and Waldron are the ones getting the blame. But they're also getting calls for their heads - before being given a shot at another QB1.

No head coach plays in February without a legit QB in this league. Even Bill Belichick has been revealed to be little more than an empty hoodie without an elite signal-caller on his roster (to say nothing of Josh McDaniels). I'm just one of those guys who sees QB play as the only really relevant factor. The rules changes in the last 20 years have made it so.

Geno is elite in flashes. It isn't enough, though I hate to admit it because his attitude change and comeback story were a great example for the league and deserved better.

I would never claim head coaching doesn't matter at all. Sean Payton is turning the Broncos from a bottom-dweller into a surprise upset-generator (beating both the Chiefs and the Bills). The Raiders are playing inspired football with Antonio Pierce taking over as their new front guy midseason. Under DeMeco Ryans, CJ Stroud and Devin Singletary are taking the offense into the limelight; they've won three straight and aren't likely to lose to the Jags this week.

Seattle's teams have always overachieved with Pete at the helm. This is something I'm NOT willing to pin on just the QB, Russell Wilson though he may have been. It would not seem Geno will be the guy under him, but our defense and WR corps have been littered with mediocre guys who overachieved, from Thomas Rawls to Bradley McDougal to Marquise Goodwin to Poona Ford. They've stayed in games, fought until the end. Ask anyone and that's his legacy.

Additionally, this is a good environment for a rookie QB to enter. Pete and John have killed the last two drafts. We've got a good OL (somewhere), a ton of weapons on offense, and multiple superstars on defense. And we'll have a bridge QB either way if the rookie needs to sit. The picture isn't complete, but we're far from the 2010 Rams.

Unless you're a Will Levis truther, this isn't the right situation to fire Pete. I'd be more sympathetic to that mantra without the last two excellent draft hauls. But this could also be a Belichick/Coughlin situation (minus the same veteran QB) - yeah there's a lapse for a few years, but the right players in the building plan bring it back.

Don't get so desperate for change that you root for what turns out to be the next McDaniels. Our biases have a tendency to view the unknown as good. Typically, it doesn't turn out that way. I say give him his shot to find a new QBOTF.
Pete doesn't prioritize finding a great QB, his philosophy doesn't need it. You can't hold not having a great QB up as a reason for him to stay when it's his own self-induced choice, IMO.

Xxx

Reaction score
Pete hitched his wagon to Geno. It was his decision. How many draft picks have we had over the years and they deliberately steered away from picking a QB.
Pete clearly didn't want to start over with a rookie QB. Pete has been making win now decisions over win forever decisions for a long time now and I'm done with that approach.
It's time to move on.
He mighta hitched to this wagon but he didn’t hook up the safety chains…

Xxx

Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes would struggle with this team. He'd be better than Geno, but at some point, this is a team sport.

Defense is atrocious, offense is average and hamstrung by a poor gameplan.

Every NFL team should be scouting QBs at all times except for maybe Houston and KC.
The entire game plan would look and be different with mahomes

Xxx

Reaction score
Name a team that puts Cornerbacks ahead of pass rushers in the draft, that is a consistent winner. I can't remember when or who the Hawks drafted and hit the jackpot on for Edge Rusher, a playmaker that makes pundits drool and babble. NONE since ...well NONE. They've done well at DT's, at LB's, but none that instilled fear in Offensive coordinators. At QB, they traded for Hasselbeck, and hit gold, and drafted RW. All others were developed or were total whiffs. The TWO MOST IMPORTANT positions have the worst track record for this team. 47 years, and 1 QB... 1 great rushing LB back in the Knox era. 0 DE or Edge rushers...pure power and speed.

My theory on USC players, which is what PC made his living off of, his fame? Underachieving players at the pro level, and a lot of QB's who were shit in the NFL. His best edge rusher was a walk on for USC, and made himself into a great player for GB. Pete just IS NOT THE ONE. He got lucky, which was likely more on Schneider than himself. Had lightning in a bottle, and opened the jar and let it go. He may be the worst late game time manager I have ever watched, and allows his players to commit the same mental errors game after game.
I got three words for ya
Legion of Boom

That’s why Pete won the Super Bowl, that’s it

morgulon1

Reaction score

Well thought out post with a supporting argument. I've been on the "fire Pete" train
yet I understand they're not going to consult me anyway. If Seattle was to draft a QB
Would you be for him starting week one or bring him along slowly?

I think the fans have grown impatient over the last decade and that's impacting the calls for his firing.