Who will be the "surprise" cut this year?

kearly

Reaction score
IDK, does Bowie count?

My definition of a surprise cut is a player who's looked good in the preseason but the team dumps him anyway. So players like Bennett in 2009 (released just after the 53 man cutdown) or Bradford last year.

I guess by that definition the only cuts that would surprise me are Marsh, Morgan, and Coyle.

Small has played well but if he gets cut it wouldn't surprise me. Winston could get cut and that would surprise some. I doubt the team would cut Norwood but if they feel they have to keep two of their bubble WRs (Lockette, Bates, Walters) instead of one it could be a possibility.

Mayowa is a lock for the roster IMO, I would be stunned if they released him. He wouldn't survive waivers and he's always been a 3+ year project. I'm hardly his biggest fan but you can tell the coaches believe in him.

A

Anonymous

NorthDallas40oz":2puhbuly said:
Farwell wouldn't be a "surprise," there's hardly a person in the world left who thinks he will (or deserves to) make this team.

Of all the names listed thus far, the only one I agree with is Benson Mayowa. I could easily see him not making the final 53 and I think that would certainly surprise a lot of people if it happened. I think that could hinge on whether or not Bruce Irvin is activated off of the PUP list before the start of the season. If he's not, I could see the Hawks keeping Mayowa for the first 6 weeks to have an extra 3rd down edge rusher at their disposal. If Irvin is activated, I just don't see there being enough room at the Inn to keep a 3rd LEO behind Avril and Schofield (who is a lock now IMO).

My long-shot "surprises" would be Tavaris Jackson (traded), Jordan Hill and Greg Scruggs, though I expect all three to stay put (as of right now).

ND40oz: The Voice of Reason.

I agree completely.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Jordan Hill. Just kidding, but shoot, sure would like to hear his name called a few times this pre-season.
I know he's coming off of an injury, but sometimes you forget the guy is even on the team. Hopefully he'll get it going and I think with this coaching staff he will.

I'd have to go with Coleman and Farwell.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I remember being floored when they released Bradford.

The guy is still playing so he is NFL caliber material but they made it to the SuperBowl without him so I guess it worked out OK.

I always get upset when they let go of someone I like as a football player.

I lost my mind a bit last year when they got rid of our FB, but was very happy when they brought him back.

I am going to be sad to see Daniels go, and upset if the 49ers get him.

But since they won it all last year I won't go too apoplectic like I did in the past.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Norwood would surprise me and disappoint me. But who knows with the depth we suddenly seem to have at the position.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Terry Blount listed Hill as a potential surprise cut back at the beginning of camp. I'll be pissed if he gets cut if for no other reason than it would make Blount right about it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I expect there could be some IR/Redshirt type things going on the last day before final cutdown.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Some seem to be struggling with the question "Who WILL be the SURPRISE cut?" and keep listing players who they think will be cut, most all of whom won't be surprising at all...

But, like me, it could be that it just doesn't seem like there's a real "Surprise" cut coming out of this roster this year. It will be fun and interesting to see all the other teams squabbling over our scrap heap...

Cartire

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":152q2jr4 said:
Kevin Norwood.

That would be my only guess, but I have a feeling IR is his destination if he doesnt make the 53.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2znl1jbs said:
bbsplitter":2znl1jbs said:
Jermaine Kearse

Notsureifserious jpg

I would be surprised if this happened, but he also hasn't really done anything in the preseason to date, and has had drops in practice/camp on consecutive days. Doesn't really mean anything *shrug* just keeping with the question of the OP, maybe Kearse has lost a step that coaches see and we can't day to day at practice.

Seafan

Reaction score
kearly":1lmrjosc said:
IDK, does Bowie count?

My definition of a surprise cut is a player who's looked good in the preseason but the team dumps him anyway. So players like Bennett in 2009 (released just after the 53 man cutdown) or Bradford last year.

I guess by that definition the only cuts that would surprise me are Marsh, Morgan, and Coyle.

Small has played well but if he gets cut it wouldn't surprise me. Winston could get cut and that would surprise some. I doubt the team would cut Norwood but if they feel they have to keep two of their bubble WRs (Lockette, Bates, Walters) instead of one it could be a possibility.

Mayowa is a lock for the roster IMO, I would be stunned if they released him. He wouldn't survive waivers and he's always been a 3+ year project. I'm hardly his biggest fan but you can tell the coaches believe in him.

IMO it's difficult to find good edge rushers and seems really difficult for this team to draft them. Mayowa may be up against the numbers but IMO the team needs to give him another year. Avril and Schofield could be gone next season and the Hawks need to keep everyone they can get their hands on.

Norwood would go IR before getting cut. He seemed like a lock in OTAs.

Toomer is the guy I'm worried about getting cut and going to another team and becoming a stud while KJ and Malcom walk next year. Korey is a SPARQ freak and was having an outstanding spring. The Hawks need to keep him around.

Cartire

Reaction score
Seafan":1hda08mw said:
kearly":1hda08mw said:
IDK, does Bowie count?

IMO it's difficult to find good edge rushers and seems really difficult for this team to draft them. Mayowa may be up against the numbers but IMO the team needs to give him another year. Avril and Schofield could be gone next season and the Hawks need to keep everyone they can get their hands on.

Norwood would go IR before getting cut. He seemed like a lock in OTAs.

Toomer is the guy I'm worried about getting cut and going to another team and becoming a stud while KJ and Malcom walk next year. Korey is a SPARQ freak and was having an outstanding spring. The Hawks need to keep him around.

I think KJ is locked up before Wilson.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
You want a suprise cut? Tarvaris Jackson, unless we can somehow keep three QB's on the roster. Why? He's old, And Pryor is young. Pryor has shown he can thrive in this system, and I really like him as Russell's backup. He has the legs of Russell, while does make the occasional drop, all backups do that.

Go ahead and laugh at this suggestion. I think this has a 0.02% chance of happening as well. But, Carroll and Schneider don't give away draft picks. They see something they really like about Pryor to give him a chance. And I think he beats Jackson for the backup. Who knows, maybe this is the silliest thought of all. We'll see though.

Happy

Reaction score
i'm going to agree on tjack as a potential surprise cut. pete has a thing for toolsy athletic quarterbacks and pryor is right up his alley.