Who Will Be The Coordinators?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
They are hiring Ryan Grubb and taking Penix in the 1st round, you heard it here first folks.
I didn't really get to see UW games this year, but I've been reading how Grubb had 3rd down issues. Is this true? If so, wouldn't that be more of the same from Waldron's offense?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Just read that the Bucs are hiring Liam Coen for their OC position. They were set to interview Tanner Engstrand, don't know if they already did. But this could mean Seattle is in prime position to have him fill the OC spot. If the Chargers request to interview him though, something tells me he would accept that job. They have Herbert, and Engstrand has connections with Jim Harbaugh.

GemCity

Reaction score
I didn't really get to see UW games this year, but I've been reading how Grubb had 3rd down issues. Is this true? If so, wouldn't that be more of the same from Waldron's offense?
He’d fit right in!!

🥱

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just read that the Bucs are hiring Liam Coen for their OC position. They were set to interview Tanner Engstrand, don't know if they already did. But this could mean Seattle is in prime position to have him fill the OC spot. If the Chargers request to interview him though, something tells me he would accept that job. They have Herbert, and Engstrand has connections with Jim Harbaugh.
They may have Herbert but we have Geno Smith. Basically the same quality of QB according to some here.

Parallax

Reaction score
The OC from UW seems to be the current name Grubb. But they requested an interview with the Detroit Lions passing coordinator so who knows?
Both those guys seem like great candidates. Getting Engstrand may be a lot like getting Johnson, presuming he can master the art of calling plays. We know Grubb is a great play caller at the college level but the NFL is different. So there's risk but both of these guys is really smart and I'd be happy with either.

Parallax

Reaction score
Opinions are fine, but there are three things that I hate most in life: Wet toilet paper, warm beer, and smart asses.

The Huskies had a ton of success on third down. So many times, they came through big on third or even fourth.

People sometimes faulted DeBoer and Grubb for being too aggressive. Most of the time it worked but there were times when they came up short and it made games more challenging at the end. They pulled out every one of those close games but they certainly had us on the edge of our seats sometimes, when a more conservative play call would have led to a different result.

The reason I don't place much stock in those criticisms is those same people think it's genius when it works. The question for me is whether one is taking smart risks. Mostly, I think they did. There were a few times when I thought to myself, "Oh no!" Usually it worked and I was able to breathe. When it didn't, there's a tendency to think "should have listened to me". Ha! As if anyone's asking my opinion.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I wanted Grubb to replace Waldron and it looks like it may happen yet.
He has a modern motion based pass offense which sets up the run out
of the same formations.
His offense also eats the clock up from start to snap - I really love that
as it's not just chuck it and score or nothing.
Can he be any worse than Waldron? I highly doubt it.

Parallax

Reaction score
I wanted Grubb to replace Waldron and it looks like it may happen yet.
He has a modern motion based pass offense which sets up the run out
of the same formations.
His offense also eats the clock up from start to snap - I really love that
as it's not just chuck it and score or nothing.
Can he be any worse than Waldron? I highly doubt it.
I liked the formation shifts. Great way to sniff out the defense. Unlike college, he wouldn't be running set plays in the NFL so there won't be a similar strategy of using the information gained to call in a new play from the sideline. But it could help a well trained QB to make choices on the fly, make the right choice on an option, throw to the right receiver or maybe call an audible before snapping the ball.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They may have Herbert but we have Geno Smith. Basically the same quality of QB according to some here.

This sounds crazy but it’s true, people actually argued it lol

Ozzy

Reaction score
It feels like if it was going to be Grubb it would be finalized but I know it can be complicated so who knows. I'm almost as excited about the OC hire as I was about the head coach.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Macdonald chose not to hire guys from Baltimore, he might respect that team too much to gut the coaching staff.
Perhaps, but this is his ass on the line. I'd think he'd do anything and everything to make sure he's successful even if that means pilfering some coworkers.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/2/2...ng-game-coordinator-tanner-engstrand-nfl-news

Seahawks looking at Lions passing coordinator as possible OC candidate.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...e-coordinator-hiring-rumors-locked-on-podcast

"We're looking for the right person to come in here and build this thing," Macdonald said. "So we want somebody that's open-minded, that has a growth mindset, that can connect with their players, and build a system that's unique to the Seattle Seahawks that's going to live here for a long time and who's going to be the one spearheading it."

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
It feels like if it was going to be Grubb it would be finalized but I know it can be complicated so who knows. I'm almost as excited about the OC hire as I was about the head coach.
I think they have to follow some interview rules re: minority interviews

Lagartixa

Reaction score

It depends on what you mean. Herbert had a very good early-career trajectory, is significantly younger than Smith, and is just now in that magical 25-28 age range when athletes tend to peak, while Smith is well into the age range when athletic performance declines, so Herbert is a better bet for 2024 and a much better bet for years after that.

But in 2023? Those two were indeed pretty close. Closer than I would have expected when I went to check, in fact.
By DVOA, DYAR, sack%, success%, and ANY/A, Smith was better than Herbert. By TD%, int%, passer rating and QBR, Herbert was better than Smith. Smith's lead in DYAR and total yardage is mostly because he played in two more games than Herbert and got 43 more pass attempts. The two were pretty damn similar in 2023, and it wouldn't have occurred to me to even think that if you hadn't pointed it out.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Now that deserves it's own thread!

Which likely means no Kafka as OC.
Seems like a great move, Frazier can handle lots of the details for the HC to free MikeMac up for other things. Frazier's been around and seen things, Vikings HC, wearing a Bills jacket here, lol.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Now that deserves it's own thread!

Which likely means no Kafka as OC.
Seems like a great move, Frazier can handle lots of the details for the HC to free MikeMac up for other things. Frazier's been around and seen things, Vikings HC, wearing a Bills jacket here, lol.
huh? Frazier would be a DC if he was anything.