Who will be the "surprise" cut this year?

chris98251

Reaction score
They gave up a 7th in the event he didn't work out so the cost of cutting him was low, we cut 4th rounders so draft pick argument is invalid,not something they like to do but will do it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3msbjcvo said:
To be honest I think Pryor still stays on the team. PC and JS wouldn't just give away draft picks without knowing what they're doing imo. Even if they keep Jackson, I still think Pryor remains on the team.

Okay lets say your right they waste a roster spot and keep Pryor, He does not play, and then is an FA after this year and had already said he wants to start so he will leave and they will have wasted a 7th, and a roster spot for nothing. The reality is the only way for this to have worked Pryor needed to l-pay well enough for us top trade him before the season started and he did not.

So its simple you keep a player who has shown nothing and will be gone next year, or you keep a player at a spot you mighty need, who has shown something, and will be here beyond next year. Seems simple to me.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":252ax6j5 said:
Terrelle Pryor is here to play Colin Kaepernick for the scout team.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks ... 1625471757

I said it another thread last night. I said it before. Ill say it again. The only way we improve our biggest weakness is real-time snaps at practice. Game film is great, but being able to utilize the few snaps a week teams get during practice efficiently, we need to practice against someone who can run like Kaep (and to a further extent, Cam).

We get proficient in stopping that, we pretty much have almost no weakness at that point.

You guys can say its a waste of a roster spot for some 53rd man who will never be part of the 46 anyway. But I think this is a clever move.

ahh for one that site is a complete joke, and you do not waste a roster spot on a guy can pretend he is someone else for 2 games, I mean we were 3-1 against those 2 qbs last year not sure what we need to improve on that TP will help

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":1k6z44rb said:
hawkfan68":1k6z44rb said:
Cartire":1k6z44rb said:

I said it another thread last night. I said it before. Ill say it again. The only way we improve our biggest weakness is real-time snaps at practice. Game film is great, but being able to utilize the few snaps a week teams get during practice efficiently, we need to practice against someone who can run like Kaep (and to a further extent, Cam).

We get proficient in stopping that, we pretty much have almost no weakness at that point.

You guys can say its a waste of a roster spot for some 53rd man who will never be part of the 46 anyway. But I think this is a clever move.

I don't buy this argument, sorry. They didn't have Pryor last year and seemed to do fine against Kaepernick. After all, they did beat him twice last season. Their record is 3-1 against Kaepernick so not sure why having Pryor would make a difference in that regard.

They sure did beat him. And yet, the only issue we had (and what almost cost us) was his running. You cant deny that. Just cause we beat him doesnt mean we dont want to get better at containing the new style QB which will only continue to become more standard in the league. This isnt just for Kaep himself.

we are not going to keep to so he can play Kap for 2 games, just is not happening, for that reason. In order for them to keep TP 2 things must be in place; 1 they really think they can win with him, 2 they think they can resign him. If that is what they think say good by to RW.

Given that scenario and how stupid it would be they are not keeping TP

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Since his name hasn't been mentioned I'm going to just run with the name I mentioned in another thread:

RUSSELL OKUNG

If I have to put a percentage on it, right now, I'll say 5-10% chance of actuality. However, I'd say that number will only keep getting bigger if it starts to look like Okung won't able to fully recover from his toe injury and that it will be a chronic ailment that he'll have to play through and manage.

The big question the Seahawks will have to ask then is if a hindered, inconsistent, injury prone, penalty prone Okung is worth the $11.24 mil salary he'll be making in 2014.

And if its worth it to save $6.48 mil in 2014 and free up $7 mil in 2015. Plus, whether or not Alvin Bailey can be as good as or better than Replacement Level.

Just remember Replacement Level in 2013 was a very sub-par to just flat-out horrible Paul McQuistan and a gimpy, average Russell Okung.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3i7tq9v2 said:
Since his name hasn't been mentioned I'm going to just run with the name I mentioned in another thread:

RUSSELL OKUNG

If I have to put a percentage on it, right now, I'll say 5-10% chance of actuality. However, I'd say that number will only keep getting bigger if it starts to look like Okung won't able to fully recover from his toe injury and that it will be a chronic ailment that he'll have to play through and manage.

The big question the Seahawks will have to ask then is if a hindered, inconsistent, injury prone, penalty prone Okung is worth the $11.24 mil salary he'll be making in 2014.

And if its worth it to save $6.48 mil in 2014 and free up $7 mil in 2015. Plus, whether or not Alvin Bailey can be as good as or better than Replacement Level.

Just remember Replacement Level in 2013 was a very sub-par to just flat-out horrible Paul McQuistan and a gimpy, average Russell Okung.

LOL

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2014":zitlzxua said:
Pandion Haliaetus":zitlzxua said:

RUSSELL OKUNG

LOL

Just throwing out a name no one that has mentioned, that could actually be considered a surprise cut, while providing plausible reasoning.

Do I believe its going to happen? Probably not.

Do I think the team have the balls to do it? Most definately.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":8s69y6kv said:
hawknation2014":8s69y6kv said:
Pandion Haliaetus":8s69y6kv said:

RUSSELL OKUNG

LOL

Just throwing out a name no one that has mentioned, that could actually be considered a surprise cut, while providing plausible reasoning.

Do I believe its going to happen? Probably not.

Do I think the team have the balls to do it? Most definately.

It's not plausible.

Mayowa getting cut is plausible. I don't think many people here expected that to happen a few months ago.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":2nq26aa4 said:
we are not going to keep to so he can play Kap for 2 games, just is not happening, for that reason. In order for them to keep TP 2 things must be in place; 1 they really think they can win with him, 2 they think they can resign him. If that is what they think say good by to RW.

Dude, this isnt about just 2 games. Its pretty obvious that there is a new breed of QB. And its becoming very obvious that that is the main style coming out of college that teams are looking for. This is not just for Kaep. Ive said that though. You have read that. But you keep simplifying the argument to raise yours.

We suck at containing the new Breed of QB. MOST TEAMs do. And just like all things that become standard, they have to be not be standard before someone starts doing it.

And you have zero idea if he walks next year. You have already determined he will, and have made that the only option in your scenarios. If hes so bad, what team do you think is going to make him a starter next year?

And I know that deadspins article is just a joke. But that doesnt mean that that wasnt the truth. And whats funnier, is nobody on this board mentioned that possibility except me. And then some random writer who doesnt follow this team outside the national spotlight, pinpoints exactly that. Its a pretty legitment observation to our needs (not personnel, but weakness that need to be fixed).

And stop pretending like the 53rd man is some diamond in the rough. The 53rd man is that number for a reason.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While draft picks are important, PC/JS have shown they will get rid of players whether they used picks to acquire them or not. For example, in his first year as a coach PC traded a 4th round pick for LenDale White. LenDale White was later dumped before the season began. So the player fitting the team and system is more important. If PC feels that any player isn't a fit, he won't think twice about dumping him.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Cartire":3qxn5oj1 said:
hawkfan68":3qxn5oj1 said:
Cartire":3qxn5oj1 said:

I don't buy this argument, sorry. They didn't have Pryor last year and seemed to do fine against Kaepernick. After all, they did beat him twice last season. Their record is 3-1 against Kaepernick so not sure why having Pryor would make a difference in that regard.

They sure did beat him. And yet, the only issue we had (and what almost cost us) was his running. You cant deny that. Just cause we beat him doesnt mean we dont want to get better at containing the new style QB which will only continue to become more standard in the league. This isnt just for Kaep himself.
I think that the only way to truly stop a mobile qb is to commit to stopping the qb.

The hawks are so strong on defense that they can handle any team just by doing what they do.

If they focus on stopping Kaep from running then it opens up the passing game for the niners.

No matter what, teams are going to put SOME yards on us. As long as we don't allow tooooo many yards it doesnt matter how they get them.

Im ok with kaep getting the occasional 10-20 yard run as long as we are stopping the passing game. Its the 40+ yard runs that we need to avoid, and I don't think we need Pryor as a practice qb to accomplish that.

hawkstrap

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ckl4w13 said:
Jon Ryan

Pete Carroll then announces we wont need a punter, because we will never punt in 2014.

Fine work, sir

drdiags

Reaction score
A surprise cut to me would be Kevin Williams, but just like Antoine WInfield last year and Kellen Winslow the year before I think Pete likes to cut the vet looking to close out their careers but not having much left in the tank.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":mizr0r0a said:
Anthony!":mizr0r0a said:

Dude, this isnt about just 2 games. Its pretty obvious that there is a new breed of QB. And its becoming very obvious that that is the main style coming out of college that teams are looking for. This is not just for Kaep. Ive said that though. You have read that. But you keep simplifying the argument to raise yours.

We suck at containing the new Breed of QB. MOST TEAMs do. And just like all things that become standard, they have to be not be standard before someone starts doing it.

And you have zero idea if he walks next year. You have already determined he will, and have made that the only option in your scenarios. If hes so bad, what team do you think is going to make him a starter next year?

And I know that deadspins article is just a joke. But that doesnt mean that that wasnt the truth. And whats funnier, is nobody on this board mentioned that possibility except me. And then some random writer who doesnt follow this team outside the national spotlight, pinpoints exactly that. Its a pretty legitment observation to our needs (not personnel, but weakness that need to be fixed).

And stop pretending like the 53rd man is some diamond in the rough. The 53rd man is that number for a reason.

You do not waste a roster spot on a guy so he can pretend to be another QB for practice. We can use that roster spot for something we need like extra o-lineman in case the injury big gets us again. Really well for one please show me who was #53 last year? You cannot so for all you know it was an o-lineman who played due to injury. There is a reason there are only 53 roster spots, and you do not waste them on players just to pretend to be others, You use them for depth at positions were you feel injuries might be an issue, and QB is not one of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":2nsrt5vt said:
Cartire":2nsrt5vt said:
Anthony!":2nsrt5vt said:

You do not waste a roster spot on a guy so he can pretend to be another QB for practice. We can use that roster spot for something we need like extra o-lineman in case the injury big gets us again. Really well for one please show me who was #53 last year? You cannot so for all you know it was an o-lineman who played due to injury. There is a reason there are only 53 roster spots, and you do not waste them on players just to pretend to be others, You use them for depth at positions were you feel injuries might be an issue, and QB is not one of them.

No you save them for a back up kicker, Tim Ruskell knows :)

kearly

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1dwrpllr said:
I would be surprised if this happened, but he also hasn't really done anything in the preseason to date, and has had drops in practice/camp on consecutive days. Doesn't really mean anything *shrug* just keeping with the question of the OP, maybe Kearse has lost a step that coaches see and we can't day to day at practice.

Kearse has looked awesome in the preseason, and is currently the team's #3 WR. Plus, he kinda made some plays in the NFCCG and XLVIII as I recall. Oh, and also the Carolina game to start the season. Without that TD catch Carolina is the #1 seed last year.

I've become a big fan of Kearse. His deep ball skills are elite, and that's a really big deal for a QB with the league's most efficient deep ball. He's shown some impressive "scramble drill" ability this preseason too.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tokadub":nnqwfy2l said:
I eat my crow when crow shall be eaten.

Kearse proved tonight he belongs, but I think targetting him 5 times when no other receivers had more than 3 targets was a deliberate choice tonight to make sure he wouldn't do this kinda thing:

Watch this video and tell me with a straight face Kearse has great hands I dare you:

http://vimeo.com/102062194

@ 18:50 dang Kearse has some serious butterfingers drops a soft touch pass right off his hands, it was like a 15 foot throw couldn't be an easier catch....

That video is probably about the best 10 second example of why Kearse shouldn't be given a 100% free pass to make the team like Harvin and Baldwin. I think Kearse had like a 95% chance to make the team which is why he could have been the "suprise cut". You could also watch the Arizona game last season from week 16 when he went 3/7 for for 38 yards and missed multiple catches he should of made.

I know it sounds like I'm not eating my crow properly and that I'm really washing it down with a big mug of smart-ass. But really I am here to admit I was wrong Kearse made the team tonight, he is no longer eligible for a suprise cut he proved it tonight.
Only took you til Friday night to figure out something the coaches have known for 3 years now? That crow is old and rotten by now.

Get out of here with that conspiracy crap about targeting Kearse while you are at it. Like they don't know enough from 3 camps and two seasons and have to target Kearse in the 3rd pre-season game of his 3rd season an extra 2 times so they know if they want to keep him.

Great hands? That stab of the ball he made in the SB was great hands.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I dont think there will be any surprises this year. Of course, if I did..then it wouldnt be a surprise.

If I had to pushed to guess, I would say TJack. His guaranteed salary doesnt mean anything. JS and PC put the best players on the squad and salary, draft status or picks given up to get dont figure into it. You really sense that PC has a thing for Pryor. I think that means we keep three QBs, but our FO has shown nothing if not that they think outside the box.

Latest posts