Who will the Seahawks cut?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Right now Seattle is over the salary cap and has to make some moves to get under the cap. If they want to have some money to re-sign guys like Williams or Brooks, they need some serious cap savings.

Who do you think gets cut?

I think the following players get cut:

Adams
Diggs
Mone
Lockett (not ideal but they are in a transition phase and need money)

Below is a link to the teams salary cap info.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Adams, Diggs & Mone will be cut. Which should clear more than $30m in cap room.

They'll likely re-structure Lockett's deal to lower his cap hit.
Lockett is a tough one. They‘ve already pushed money into the future so much his cap is now out of wack.

Not sure what you can do unless you get him to add years without additional money and hope he doesn’t decline precipitously.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Think people underrate Diggs around here but he still makes a lot of money for a safety regardless and we've got options at FS.

Adams is just an obvious one. He was a borderline cut candidate last off-season, but we held out to see if he could come back from injury and play like before. He did not. And he makes even more than Diggs who already makes a lot for a safety. (Adams is going to be a post June 1st or post June 1st designated cut though, the difference in cap savings is massive.)

Lockett... they need to rework his deal but he's already taking cap hit from a previous restructure, so I can see him getting cut (sad as that makes me). He just makes a lot for a WR2 who is heading to WR3 territory. (Even though I still think he's our most reliable 3rd down target.)

Dissly is another dude with a relatively large hit for his position and his dead cap is less than half his hit.

Thing is, it's not terribly difficult to get Seattle to within or above league average cap space. We aren't in quite as crazy the cap hell people think we are. It'll take either some tough negotiations with or some tough decisions on Diggs, Lockett, Dissly, but it only takes 1 or 2 of those plus 1 obvious move (Adams) and there we are.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Think people underrate Diggs around here but he still makes a lot of money for a safety regardless and we've got options at FS.

Adams is just an obvious one. He was a borderline cut candidate last off-season, but we held out to see if he could come back from injury and play like before. He did not. And he makes even more than Diggs who already makes a lot for a safety. (Adams is going to be a post June 1st or post June 1st designated cut though, the difference in cap savings is massive.)

Lockett... they need to rework his deal but he's already taking cap hit from a previous restructure, so I can see him getting cut (sad as that makes me). He just makes a lot for a WR2 who is heading to WR3 territory. (Even though I still think he's our most reliable 3rd down target.)

Dissly is another dude with a relatively large hit for his position and his dead cap is less than half his hit.

Thing is, it's not terribly difficult to get Seattle to within or above league average cap space. We aren't in quite as crazy the cap hell people think we are. It'll take either some tough negotiations with or some tough decisions on Diggs, Lockett, Dissly, but it only takes 1 or 2 of those plus 1 obvious move (Adams) and there we are.

I don't think we are in cap hell. But when you make the cuts necessary to get cap space, you quickly realize, the defense is bare bones at best. Probably going to be a defense heavy draft IMO.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I don't think we are in cap hell. But when you make the cuts necessary to get cap space, you quickly realize, the defense is bare bones at best. Probably going to be a defense heavy draft IMO.
True, but the defense has been... not good for the past two seasons. It probably needed to be a defense heavy draft regardless.

But even there, I think we aren't in a terrible spot. DL is in ok shape if we resign Williams and Nwosu comes back healthy. We also are ok at CB. We need LB and (probably) safeties. I think that's completely doable in the draft and FA.

The other side of the ball, it's OL, OL, OL. I mean, I go back and forth on whether drafting BPA or for need is best for a team, but we know the 3 major gaps on this team.

EDIT: Oh, and we need to address the TE situation.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
True, but the defense has been... not good for the past two seasons. It probably needed to be a defense heavy draft regardless.

But even there, I think we aren't in a terrible spot. DL is in ok shape if we resign Williams and Nwosu comes back healthy. We also are ok at CB. We need LB and (probably) safeties. I think that's completely doable in the draft and FA.

The other side of the ball, it's OL, OL, OL. I mean, I go back and forth on whether drafting BPA or for need is best for a team, but we know the 3 major gaps on this team.

EDIT: Oh, and we need to address the TE situation.
Yeah, we only have Dissly under contract. Another reason to free up some cap space and maybe bring back Fant or Parkinson.

toffee

Reaction score
Offense:
Lockett
Dissly (unless huge discount)
Lock (unless we traded Geno)
Eskrige

Defense:
Adam
Mone
Diggs

Special team:
Myers

Parallax

Reaction score
Adams
Diggs
Mone
Dissley
Myers
Geno (unless traded -- should have cut him last week unless we're sure he's tradeable)
Lockett (unless he re-signs at a reduced salary, which should be encouraged)

bigcc

Reaction score
Mone
Bellore (surprised nobody mentioned him)
Eskridge
Possibly Reed
Possibly dissly
Possibly diggs
Possibly jamal (unlikely)

The first 3 possiblys I'd like to extend at a cheap rate to spread some money this year forward

I know some people are thinking jamal, but his cap work doesn't really help us in free agency, makes more sense at this juncture to let Macdonald get time in with him this offseason and see what he wants to do with a post June 1 cut AFTER meeting him.

The majority of cap savings are going to come from contract reworks unless we're taking a massive step back in talent....

Offseason is mostly going to be returning talent+draft picks, biggest offseason move will probably be signing leonard for 3-4 years

bigcc

Reaction score
Adams
Diggs
Mone
Dissley
Myers
Geno (unless traded -- should have cut him last week unless we're sure he's tradeable)
Lockett (unless he re-signs at a reduced salary, which should be encouraged)
Geno is not getting cut at this point, ship has sailed, like you said trade is possible though

Parallax

Reaction score
Mone
Eskridge
Possibly Reed
Possibly dissly
Possibly diggs

The first 3 possiblys I'd like to extend at a cheap rate to spread some money this year forward

I know some people are thinking jamal, but his cap work doesn't really help us in free agency, makes more sense at this juncture to let Macdonald get time in with him this offseason and see what he wants to do with a post June 1 cut AFTER meeting him.

The majority of cap savings are going to come from contract reworks unless we're taking a massive step back in talent....

Offseason is mostly going to be returning talent+draft picks, biggest offseason move will probably be signing leonard for 3-4 years
I hope you're wrong. I'd rather tear down and focus on a rebuild than trying to carry on with continued mediocrity. I see no point in that. Zero. The only way to unmortgage the future is to take some hits. When you're in a hole, the best way out is to stop digging.

12forlife

Reaction score
Adams, Diggs & Mone will be cut. Which should clear more than $30m in cap room.

They'll likely re-structure Lockett's deal to lower his cap hit.
I hope Lockett is up for a restructure. For an aging #3 WR he needs to take a 2 yr deal in the $8 mil per yesr range imo, which is a major cut in pay.
Dissly also needs to be cut or restructured, $10 mil for an inline blocking TE is insane.
Could also consider a restructure with Dre'mont Jones? Maybe lower his cap hit, and load it with incentives, make him earn his money! With both him and Taylor on the same end was like a open barn door!
Just some thoughts?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
They should cut Jordyn Brooks. I know he's a free agent, but he was so bad that they should cut him as a ceremonial thing, even if it doesn't officially mean anything, like signing a former player to a one-day contract, sort of an amends to the fans for not cutting him before.
So if they re sign him what will you say?

12forlife

Reaction score
Mone
Eskridge
Possibly Reed
Possibly dissly
Possibly diggs

Agree with this for the most part, I think there will be some hard cuts though, but might aswell rip the bandaid off, and start building JS & MM team with there "type" of players.
Those cuts start with Adams. Imo I don't want him anywhere near this team. Sad to say but for the position/what MM will ask of his Safties Adams don't fit. He is broken and his body can't handle his aggressive tackling style, which sucks! Besides that he can't cover TE/RB to save his life, MM demands that of his safeties & LB's. I also am seeing Adams as a Cancer, he got in the face of team doctors twice, then his attitude was so bad he didn't travel with team at the end of the season. I dont see JS & MM moving forward with an oft injured, bitchy $27 mil Satey that can't tackle or cover. For $ 27 mil he should be our Defensive Captain, pro bowl saftey, he isn't even close, matter a fact Love makes him look bad these days, and we only pay him $10mil? Time to look for better cheaper talent at the position.