Who will the Seahawks cut?

flv2

Reaction score
Definitely overpaid, but his 17 of 22 is a higher % than either Fant or Colby. The kid produces, just needs a reduced cap hit that reflects his utilization (which should be higher).

Hawks had 3 good TEs last year and were obviously trying to feature Fant. With him presumably moving on, it should open up opportunities for Dissly to provide value given a reduced cap hit.
Towards the end of 2023 Parkinson was beating out Dissly for the #2 TE snaps. As a FA I think Parkinson will get more than his Spotrac market valuation of $6.6M. Dissly is due $7M in 2024. Spotrac values Dissly at $4.4M, which also looks a bit low.

keasley45

Reaction score
They will cut and re-sign Lockett (or restructure)

They will cut Mone

They will cut Dissly and invite him back for less. But I think they prioritize Fant and Parkinson over Dissly.

Diggs ? Not sure about.

They will cut Adams and invite him back for less. As unpopular as he is, I'm pretty sure he was a Schneider guy and that if there's mutual interest on Adams part, that John would love to see him used the way he should have been from the beginning. I also wouldn't be surprised if John is sympathetic to Adams and the nonsense that was likely going on, culture wise in the lockerroom. I wouldn't be surprised if he carries similar sympathy for any player that underperformed last year.

Analog -
When I was in college, I had a calculus professor from Nigeria. The man was brilliant, and also struggled with the English language enough that teaching what he knew was a challenge. That, combined with the fact that he would often get frustrated at the class 'not getting it', to the point students stopped even asking questions, led to obvious failure. The result? No one in the class had a passing grade by the break. There was even a verbal altercation between a student and the professor that led to the student being removed from class - the kid wasn't a troublemaker at all - just fed up. So a group of students got together and spoke to the department head and the professor was replaced. By year end, even I got a C, which is remarkable, considering.

Lesson-
My sense from John from everything that he's said is that the problem on this team is not that the students weren't smart enough or talented enough to 'get it'. It's that the lessons were no longer effective and they stopped trying. And for those that want to claim that that's nonsense and these athletes are being paid millions to do a job... athletes are people, with human emotions, pride, and needs. If a person feels as though they aren't getting what they need to maximize the skillset they've sharpened for years to make them great, they can absolutley throw in the towel. You see it all the time, and not just in sports.

All that to say that I wouldn't be at all surprised if the FO views underperformers like Brooks, Adams, Diggs and others far differently than fans do and are interested in re-engaging with them under new terms.

John said pretty bluntly that he does not see this team taking a step back. He's also said he sees this team as being very talented. Amd he's said that that the primary goal of the staff he's assembling is to get the .most out of the players and build this team with the players front of mind.

I think that speaks volumes for how and where this team is going this offseason.

Last edited:

nwHawk

Reaction score
We probably have to sign him to a 1yr deal, just outta lack of depth. Bobby unfortunately has lost a step and is a major liability on passing downs in coverage. Matter a fact he is our biggest liability on 3rd down.
And I think his lack of speed limits what scheme and blends MM could call during games. I love Bobby. My top 7 Seahawks player all time. Total class and a true stud. But I’m not sure he fits unless it’s a situational player.

Parallax

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Wagner is re-signed and even more surprised if he gets more than an occasional snap. He's an all time great and we love him. But he doesn't really belong on the gridiron anymore. This is not uncommon. How many times have we watched former greats stay too long.

Sometimes a player needs to be saved from himself. I remember, when I was a kid, watching Willie Mays make a really bad error in the outfield. Fell onto the ground and wept. My dad felt so bad for him. Was telling me how great he once was and that it was wrong to put him out there like that. It's a good thing it was long before the internet or he would have been embarrassed by that error for the rest of his life. Fortunately, people have short memories. He retired soon after and the world moved on. Was not able to find any videos of it online. I doubt my dad remembers. I was around 10 so there was a lot of space to lay down memory tracks.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Wagner is re-signed and even more surprised if he gets more than an occasional snap. He's an all time great and we love him. But he doesn't really belong on the gridiron anymore.
BWags was our best linebacker last season and it wasn't even close:

Screenshot 2024 02 18 144642

At $7M it might make sense to keep him another year, if he wants, for that price while we find some linebackers that can actually play the run AND the pass. Most of our other linebackers can't do either very well.

Parallax

Reaction score

View attachment 65045

At $7M it might make sense to keep him another year, if he wants, for that price while we find some linebackers that can actually play the run AND the pass. Most of our other linebackers can't do either very well.
I think metrics are totally overblown these days. Bobby's lost his lateral quickness, leaving us helpless against short passes over the middle. We need speed and he don't got it. If they can sign him to a veteran minimum contract to play in obvious short yardage run downs, I'd be alright with it. I would not be convinced teams wouldn't look to surprise us with a pass to that part of the field he can't cover. Perhaps Macdonald would try to scheme in a way that compensates. Seems the smart move is to just move on.

keasley45

Reaction score

View attachment 65045

queen was a borderline bust for the Ravens until they brought Smith in and MacDonald to coach him. Same player, vastly different results.

All the adoration for Bobby and dismissal of Brooks is funny. When Bobby was in his prime, he operated from Tackle to Tackle and often 15 yards off the line in coverage.
Today, his effective range is Outside guard to outside guard and 10 yards off the line in coverage. And his stats are skewed because of it. He's not getting the runs that are on the edge of his width or the passed that are dropping over his head for first downs on 3rd and 18. And hes not getting docked for that in the statistical evaluation.

Brooks is shouldering a sh!+ ton of burden compensating for crap edge play in front of him, being lured down and then thrown over on passes. You can say the same for Bobby, but it looked like he carried zone responsibility a lot more than Brooks did. Offenses matched up on Brooks and out leveraged him quite a bit because he was covering for weaknesses.

KJ was even critical of Bobby saying his numbers looked great but the defense was getting washed because he chose to play so close to the line. And why did he do that? Because it's where he needs to be to be effective. And when he's 'in the hole' he still is. But him playing that far down causes major problems for the defense. KJ begged him even to play a yard or two deeper. I don't think he ever will because if he does, he'll have sacrificed the aspect of the game he's most known for.

Let Macdonald work with Brooks and I guarantee he will be head and shoulder better than he's shown. Dude has been handicapped by lack of ability in front of him and crap scheming for all but his rookie year. He's a game wrecker.

Bobby? I'd like to see him here because I love him as a player. But in terms of what he brings today? Save the 5 mil you'd pay him and give it to Brooks. Then bring Queen in and draft a ILB and OLB to backfill behind and around them.

Jville

Reaction score
There are other teams that surely see the same thing in Brooks.

Don't know that the Seahawks will prevail with the highest bid.

But, the circumstances in Seattle sure look inviting.

12forlife

Reaction score
And I think his lack of speed limits what scheme and blends MM could call during games. I love Bobby. My top 7 Seahawks player all time. Total class and a true stud. But I’m not sure he fits unless it’s a situational player.
Wagz is a stud of studs! Unfortunately Father time has struck. With the cupboard being completely bare, I could see Wagz signing a 1 yr deal for near league minimum. Team really need his, and imo Williams's leadership moving into this new regime. Not sour grapes like Adams (piss poor attitude) imo.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
They should cut Jordyn Brooks. I know he's a free agent, but he was so bad that they should cut him as a ceremonial thing, even if it doesn't officially mean anything, like signing a former player to a one-day contract, sort of an amends to the fans for not cutting him before.

Goodness gracious Rat. The man has a family.

Parallax

Reaction score
Wagz is a stud of studs! Unfortunately Father time has struck. With the cupboard being completely bare, I could see Wagz signing a 1 yr deal for near league minimum. Team really need his, and imo Williams's leadership moving into this new regime. Not sour grapes like Adams (piss poor attitude) imo.
I could see keeping him around on a veteran minimum contract for his locker room presence alone. But I don't know if the coaches would be willing to use a roster spot. I wonder if he'd come back in a non-roster capacity.

Rat

Reaction score
Goodness gracious Rat. The man has a family.
Honestly, I was just kinda trolling before because I get annoyed with people who think he was great strictly due to his tackle numbers, but then I felt bad and deleted my comment. You never know who is looking on here, he seems like a good guy, and anyone who gives up their body and puts in considerable effort for this team deserves appreciation. I've been underwhelmed by his Seahawks tenure, but I would be happy to see him finally put it together, whether it's here (our LB room is a disaster IMO) or somewhere else.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think metrics are totally overblown these days. Bobby's lost his lateral quickness, leaving us helpless against short passes over the middle. We need speed and he don't got it. If they can sign him to a veteran minimum contract to play in obvious short yardage run downs, I'd be alright with it. I would not be convinced teams wouldn't look to surprise us with a pass to that part of the field he can't cover. Perhaps Macdonald would try to scheme in a way that compensates. Seems the smart move is to just move on.
BWags has some years where he's got great coverage rankings (2022, 2018, 2017, 2014 & 2012) and others years where he doesn't. The bad years seem to be increasing. We've all known for a while that Bobby struggles in coverage but he's head and shoulders above the rest in run coverage. And as bad as he is in coverage, none of the other LB's are really any better. So unless you significantly upgrade that position group why would you cut him? Renegotiate his contract sure, but you don't dump him unless he refuses.

12forlife

Reaction score
I could see keeping him around on a veteran minimum contract for his locker room presence alone. But I don't know if the coaches would be willing to use a roster spot. I wonder if he'd come back in a non-roster capacity.
Good question! With this younger generation you have to motivate different then say just 10 years ago? Good 'ol butt chewing and a slap up side the head don't work no more. Got to be able to verbally motivate different these days.
With that I've been hoping Sherman, Chancellor & Wagner would get their feet wet in coaching. Would love to see in 5-10 yrs any or all 3 on our defensive coaching staff. Idk I think that could be exciting?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This team is going to be awful year 1 and 2 of the new regime because of the cap hell provided by adams and diggs. Seattle just doesn’t have the money to buy talent. So unless they draft amazing in the LB, DT, TE, OL and Safety this team will have so many holes no amount of coaching will help. 2024 is going to be really bad. But gotta get through it.

xray

Reaction score
We probably have to sign him to a 1yr deal, just outta lack of depth. Bobby unfortunately has lost a step and is a major liability on passing downs in coverage. Matter a fact he is our biggest liability on 3rd down.
^
I can't make myself bad mouth him . He's been a rock for the Hawks for many many seasons .

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm fine with (would have preferred) tearing it down, but I think they would have cut geno if that were the case. Why keep him otherwise, he's 34 and has no trade value given the qb market in FA and draft class.
I don't think keeping Geno runs counter to doing a proper rebuild. Rather, having a steady veteran presence at QB helps significantly if you're going to be playing a bunch of youth and want them to actually get a chance to show their stuff and develop.

Every year, there are a bunch of busts that end up on some bad offense with a bad QB and it's tough to really judge them. Would Puka and Kyren have looked like studs this year for the Rams if that offense was being run by Stetson Bennett instead of Stafford?

The other factor is Grubb is going to be the only OC in the league with zero NFL experience, and he's basically in charge of the offense on his own. We need to be able to evaluate him, and Geno should be able to execute his schemes with a decent enough floor to gauge how things are going.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John said pretty bluntly that he does not see this team taking a step back. He's also said he sees this team as being very talented. Amd he's said that that the primary goal of the staff he's assembling is to get the .most out of the players and build this team with the players front of mind.
Just bear in mind that this is what any long tenured GM would and should say in the same situation. He wants to keep his job, and you don't do that by saying the team needs a rebuild due to missing on trades and draft picks or overpaying FAs. How he feels privately could differ, and the new coaching staff could certainly have their own opinions on roster strength and who they want to keep.

keasley45

Reaction score
Just bear in mind that this is what any long tenured GM would and should say in the same situation. He wants to keep his job, and you don't do that by saying the team needs a rebuild due to missing on trades and draft picks or overpaying FAs. How he feels privately could differ, and the new coaching staff could certainly have their own opinions on roster strength and who they want to keep.

Pete was fired because the staff didn't get the most out of the roster. We'll see in 8 months, but my dollars are on John being exactly right.

And honestly, i think most GMs would give themselves some cushion by saying the opposite... that it will take some time. Not that they won't miss a beat. Saying they'll hit the ground running sets expectations pretty high. Saying it will take some time, lowers the expectations and allows for misses in his hires to be far less of a black mark.

This is entirely his rodeo now. What happened before can be swept under the rug as the failure of a sometimes strained collaboration. He wins nothing by saying the team will be fine, except rope to hang himself.

12forlife

Reaction score
^
I can't make myself bad mouth him . He's been a rock for the Hawks for many many seasons .
I would never bad mouth Bobby mass respect 🙏. Unfortunately the speed of the game is passing him up. Hope when he retires he is on our coaching staff.