Who Will Be The Coordinators?

Parallax

Reaction score
He’s not taking DC.
I'm thinking he takes the role Wade Phillips had when McVey was hired to coach the Rams. Not defensive coordinator but guy who's been around who can provide solid advice and keep an eye out. Better than Phillips though, in the sense that he's long been a mentor. Phillips and McVey barely knew each other when the former was hired.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm thinking he takes the role Wade Phillips had when McVey was hired to coach the Rams. Not defensive coordinator but guy who's been around who can provide solid advice and keep an eye out. Better than Phillips though, in the sense that he's long been a mentor. Phillips and McVey barely knew each other when the former was hired.
You nailed it sir. Welcome to .Net we typically like smart football people even Fade especially when he forgets Pete is in Hawaii or similar.

Parallax

Reaction score
You nailed it sir. Welcome to .Net we typically like smart football people even Fade especially when he forgets Pete is in Hawaii or similar.
Hey thanks. I've been appreciating your posts too.

bigcc

Reaction score
Considering that he's not assigned a coordinator spot you're probably right to an extent.

Don't know if wade is a great comparison, but leslie is definitely there to help Macdonald with snags he may (and will) hit as a 36 year old about to run a five billion dollar operation.

Great hire, but I expect he'll be more behind the scenes

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I'd like me some Steve Clinkscale for DC. Yes, he doesn't have NFL experience, but he is a good defensive coach.
Since Macdonald announced he will be calling plays until he feels comfortable handing that over, this may be a good landing spot for him to get said experience under one of the NFL's top defensive coaches

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
What was Waldren’s position with the Rams before being named OC with us? Reason I ask is how transferable a passing game coordinator to OC is.

Jac

Reaction score
The waiting game this offseason has been frustrating, but I do really like the process. There's nothing knee jerk about it. You can imagine Macdonald and Schneider having deep conversations about which OC could really give defenses (including his) trouble, which OC is going to run an offense that can kill clock and help the defense, which OC is going to adapt, etc. Whoever they pick is going to be very well-vetted and fit the bigger picture.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect we will wait until after the SB to know who in fact will be the coordinators. Still think the OC choice is truly critical to success to start with Mac. However, it a true team effort to have a winning team. Suspect those hating on Pete will be suspicious of the choices though JS is a smart football manager and will encourage his young and talented HC to surround himself with talent.

MY point here is simply to say we need to hugely patient and let the new staff come together as the guys they want are able to be sprung loose for their present commitments.

Like many here i find myself checking for news on the coordinators soon can formulate a view on what the O and the D will look like this upcoming next season .

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As long as Macdonald like John Harbaugh doesn't micro manage his coordinators everything should be fine I trust we will get a good staff for Macdonald.

Parallax

Reaction score
Suspect those hating on Pete will be suspicious of the choices though JS is a smart football manager and will encourage his young and talented HC to surround himself with talent.
I'm curious as to why you think those "hating on" Pete Carroll will be suspicious.

I deny that my comments about Pete are fairly characterized by that phrase "hating on" but I think it fair to say that I and a few others are critical of Carroll's actions in recent years. Personally, I have no reason to be suspicious of the choices of coordinators. I love the idea of Ryan Grubb or Tanner Engstrad and would be thrilled with either.

olyfan63

Reaction score
huh? Frazier would be a DC if he was anything.
The announcement didn't say Frazier would be DC so I didn't want to assume.
I thought it was a little strange too, especially with Frazier's defensive background. We shall see...

Parallax

Reaction score
The announcement didn't say Frazier would be DC so I didn't want to assume.
I thought it was a little strange too, especially with Frazier's defensive background. We shall see...
Maybe he's there to be the team graybeard. Hard to say. The title doesn't really matter since Macdonald will be calling plays. Perhaps it's better to have a young pup in that role so he can train someone to call plays in the future.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you think those "hating on" Pete Carroll will be suspicious.

I deny that my comments about Pete are fairly characterized by that phrase "hating on" but I think it fair to say that I and a few others are critical of Carroll's actions in recent years. Personally, I have no reason to be suspicious of the choices of coordinators. I love the idea of Ryan Grubb or Tanner Engstrad and would be thrilled with either.

Parallax, not at directing any negative comment towards you. Your posts are always well thought and fairly stated. There is however a group here who are consistent complainers, to me you are not one and the comment was not directed at you at all. This week will mark a month since Pete was relieved of his coaching responsibilities. I expect the want it now voices to start getting loud soon, they were the focus of my comment at a time where getting the replacement coaching staff right is far more important than the speed at which it happens.

Frankly thought PC had sort of checked out over the last season and had lost his edge some time before then. His coaching and the product on the field had become inconsistent. PC’s loyalty to non-producing staff and his vetoes and some of the best personnel acquisitions disturbingly cumulative in a bad way. It was time for a change, it’s happened. So far I’m happy with the coaching acquisitions. I expect more change.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Especially since the addition of Leslie Frazier, who we hire as the defensive coordinator is pretty much a moot point. Macdonald has already said that he'll be calling the plays, and now he has not one, but two old defensive sages in the house to rely on for advice. Who we hire as the offensive coordinator will have far greater consequences.