Who will be the "surprise" cut this year?

Cartire

Reaction score
Guaranteed contract boys. I know its not a ton. But its for a backup. Why dump a backup and pay him when he MORE THAN likely wont even play.

Also, ive heard from a lot of sources that they plan on keeping 3 QBs this year because they dont want to get rid of Pryor.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Cartire":3kjdjib8 said:
Guaranteed contract boys. I know its not a ton. But its for a backup. Why dump a backup and pay him when he MORE THAN likely wont even play.

Also, ive heard from a lot of sources that they plan on keeping 3 QBs this year because they dont want to get rid of Pryor.
That's what my sources tell me as well.

Cartire

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":31ipox8d said:
Am I missing something on Norwood? Sounded to me like Pete expects him back next week. Not sure he'd go on IR if that's the case. Maybe just to stash him on the team for a year?

That would be the reason.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'll go with TJack. But he won't leave town. Seattle will keep him around as a consultant or something.

The Allen Bradford example from last year was a good reminder. Bradford was a STUD in the preseason. Mike Morgan has looked good this season so he'll probably go. Same for O'Brien Schofield.

Actually, the player who has impressed me least so far is Gregg Scruggs.

Norwood's not going anywhere. Neither is Pryor, IMO.
And I *guarantee* Lemuel JeanPierre isn't going anywhere.

Tokadub

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2su6bgol said:
bbsplitter":2su6bgol said:
Jermaine Kearse

Notsureifserious jpg

I agree that Kearse would be the most "surprising" cut that in my opinion is a very realistic possibility.

Kearse really isn't that good, arguably the worst hands of any of our receivers last season and the statistics back it up with his catch rate % that was ranked like 9th on the team.

I still think Kearse will most likely make the team along with Harvin, Baldwin, Norwood, Richardon, and Lockette for our 6 Wide Receivers.

But if we need a spot for Walters (I think it'd be a mistake) or more realistically if Phil Bates is better than Kearse than he could be the most surprising cut.

I don't think Kearse is that good even though I like him, I just think he has bad hands and made a few "hero" plays in important moments so that's all anyone seems to care about with him. He could just as easily have dropped one of those huge plays due to his bad hands and literally EVERYONE would be like cut that joke guy...

I think from a skills perspective it could make sense to cut Kearse if Bates is better but I think our coaches are sorta sticking with him even if he seems to lack certain elite qualities... Kinda like how they stick with Turbin no matter what and before the game last week Turbin has been pretty unimpressive.

A

Anonymous

Tokadub":3lk516mg said:
HawkFan72":3lk516mg said:
bbsplitter":3lk516mg said:
Jermaine Kearse

Notsureifserious jpg

I agree that Kearse would be the most "surprising" cut that in my opinion is a very realistic possibility.

Kearse really isn't that good, arguably the worst hands of any of our receivers last season and the statistics back it up with his catch rate % that was ranked like 9th on the team.

I still think Kearse will most likely make the team along with Harvin, Baldwin, Norwood, Richardon, and Lockette for our 6 Wide Receivers.

But if we need a spot for Walters (I think it'd be a mistake) or more realistically if Phil Bates is better than Kearse than he could be the most surprising cut.

I don't think Kearse is that good even though I like him, I just think he has bad hands and made a few "hero" plays in important moments so that's all anyone seems to care about with him. He could just as easily have dropped one of those huge plays due to his bad hands and literally EVERYONE would be like cut that joke guy...

I think from a skills perspective it could make sense to cut Kearse if Bates is better but I think our coaches are sorta sticking with him even if he seems to lack certain elite qualities... Kinda like how they stick with Turbin no matter what and before the game last week Turbin has been pretty unimpressive.

Uh, okay, yeah. :roll:

Countdown, until Tokadub get's lit-up by Roland and Sac, begins in 5... 4... 3... 2...

:snack:

warden

Reaction score
The surprise cut will be at RB or WR. We are going to do an additional cut on offense to make room for a 3rd QB. I doubt we keep both Coleman and Ware. One of them will get his walking papers

Basis4day

Reaction score
warden":125ms941 said:
The surprise cut will be at RB or WR. We are going to do an additional cut on offense to make room for a 3rd WR. I doubt we keep both Coleman and Ware. One of them will get his walking papers

Coleman or Ware getting cut wouldn't be surprising.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I eat my crow when crow shall be eaten.

Kearse proved tonight he belongs, but I think targetting him 5 times when no other receivers had more than 3 targets was a deliberate choice tonight to make sure he wouldn't do this kinda thing:

Watch this video and tell me with a straight face Kearse has great hands I dare you:

http://vimeo.com/102062194

@ 18:50 dang Kearse has some serious butterfingers drops a soft touch pass right off his hands, it was like a 15 foot throw couldn't be an easier catch....

That video is probably about the best 10 second example of why Kearse shouldn't be given a 100% free pass to make the team like Harvin and Baldwin. I think Kearse had like a 95% chance to make the team which is why he could have been the "suprise cut". You could also watch the Arizona game last season from week 16 when he went 3/7 for for 38 yards and missed multiple catches he should of made.

I know it sounds like I'm not eating my crow properly and that I'm really washing it down with a big mug of smart-ass. But really I am here to admit I was wrong Kearse made the team tonight, he is no longer eligible for a suprise cut he proved it tonight.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Tokadub":39hcj4db said:
I eat my crow when crow shall be eaten.

Kearse proved tonight he belongs, but I think targetting him 5 times when no other receivers had more than 3 targets was a deliberate choice tonight to make sure he wouldn't do this kinda thing:

Watch this video and tell me with a straight face Kearse has great hands I dare you:

http://vimeo.com/102062194

@ 18:50 dang Kearse has some serious butterfingers drops a soft touch pass right off his hands, it was like a 15 foot throw couldn't be an easier catch....

That video is probably about the best 10 second example of why Kearse shouldn't be given a 100% free pass to make the team like Harvin and Baldwin. I think Kearse had like a 95% chance to make the team which is why he could have been the "suprise cut". You could also watch the Arizona game last season from week 16 when he went 3/7 for for 38 yards and missed multiple catches he should of made.

I know it sounds like I'm not eating my crow properly and that I'm really washing it down with a big mug of smart-ass. But really I am here to admit I was wrong Kearse made the team tonight, he is no longer eligible for a suprise cut he proved it tonight.

You wrote your post while thinking there was only a 5% chance you would NOT be eating crow. To me that says you like the taste of crow.

RiverDog

Reaction score
3 months ago, I would have said Carpenter, but he's lost weight and not playing too badly in PS. I've actually seen him make a block on the second level. Perhaps the Hawks not picking up his option was the equivalent of a cold slap in the face.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought of Irvin, too, but I don't see anyone out there that's clearly better than him that they'd have to cut to keep Irvin on the roster, and as one poster pointed out, cutting him doesn't save us a bunch of cap space. I think he stays one more year.

I think Coyle makes the team, the guy has the potential to be a fantastic special teams player.

At this point, I don't see any of last year's starters getting handed their walking papers. If we keep 3 QB's, we're going to have to let go a decent WR, and with Lockette being such a good special teamer, I can't see Norwood staying.

seabowl

Reaction score
olyfan63":12e3r2id said:
I'll go with TJack. But he won't leave town. Seattle will keep him around as a consultant or something.

The Allen Bradford example from last year was a good reminder. Bradford was a STUD in the preseason. Mike Morgan has looked good this season so he'll probably go. Same for O'Brien Schofield.

Actually, the player who has impressed me least so far is Gregg Scruggs.

Norwood's not going anywhere. Neither is Pryor, IMO.
And I *guarantee* Lemuel JeanPierre isn't going anywhere.

There is Nooooooooo way TJack gets cut. So G-d forbid Russell goes down you are going to turn to Pryor or Daniels to lead a SB quality team? Ridiculous.

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't think it is a surprise but Pryor has to go. That INT. was a piece of Hank. Hopefully he does well in Oakland and we can possibly trade him and just go with 2 QB's this year. After watching Farwell all over the field, I don't think he goes anywhere.

MLT

Reaction score
I bet you feel like a fool now huh tokadub! Lmao kearse ain't going anywhere! We all knew that and after last night I hope you realize it too!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'll be surprised, er I mean shocked, if Pryor is not cut or traded (I don't know who'd want him after last night's showing).

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
To be honest I think Pryor still stays on the team. PC and JS wouldn't just give away draft picks without knowing what they're doing imo. Even if they keep Jackson, I still think Pryor remains on the team.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Bowie was a surprise cut. Yeah, I know they said they thought they could get him through waivers to put him on the IR but I'm not buying it. They had to know there was a good chance someone would claim him. They could have protected him if they'd wanted to so I consider him a surprise cut.

Most of the players mentioned so far wouldn't be a big surprise. Certainly not Pryor. Irvin or Kearse would definitely be surprises but I don't see either happening.

Cartire

Reaction score
Terrelle Pryor is here to play Colin Kaepernick for the scout team.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks ... 1625471757

I said it another thread last night. I said it before. Ill say it again. The only way we improve our biggest weakness is real-time snaps at practice. Game film is great, but being able to utilize the few snaps a week teams get during practice efficiently, we need to practice against someone who can run like Kaep (and to a further extent, Cam).

We get proficient in stopping that, we pretty much have almost no weakness at that point.

You guys can say its a waste of a roster spot for some 53rd man who will never be part of the 46 anyway. But I think this is a clever move.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cartire":3gh2nqia said:

I said it another thread last night. I said it before. Ill say it again. The only way we improve our biggest weakness is real-time snaps at practice. Game film is great, but being able to utilize the few snaps a week teams get during practice efficiently, we need to practice against someone who can run like Kaep (and to a further extent, Cam).

We get proficient in stopping that, we pretty much have almost no weakness at that point.

You guys can say its a waste of a roster spot for some 53rd man who will never be part of the 46 anyway. But I think this is a clever move.

I don't buy this argument, sorry. They didn't have Pryor last year and seemed to do fine against Kaepernick. After all, they did beat him twice last season. Their record is 3-1 against Kaepernick so not sure why having Pryor would make a difference in that regard.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10m0eed5 said:
Cartire":10m0eed5 said:

I don't buy this argument, sorry. They didn't have Pryor last year and seemed to do fine against Kaepernick. After all, they did beat him twice last season. Their record is 3-1 against Kaepernick so not sure why having Pryor would make a difference in that regard.

They sure did beat him. And yet, the only issue we had (and what almost cost us) was his running. You cant deny that. Just cause we beat him doesnt mean we dont want to get better at containing the new style QB which will only continue to become more standard in the league. This isnt just for Kaep himself.