Could Adams be shut down for the year?

James in PA

Reaction score
I forget exactly how Pete worded it today at his presser, but when a reporter asked him about the possibility of shutting Jamal Adams down for the year, Pete said something along the lines of they don't like to think that way, but it is a conversation that has come up. To me, this would be the best way to handle this. No more distractions. His season and his Seahawks career would be over. Let him start fresh somewhere else next season. No use risking further injury to a guy who is disgruntled and will not be part of our future.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yes please

Do It GIF

RiverDog

Reaction score
Adams was a healthy scratch for the Philly game I am assuming he is not in the future plans
He was a healthy scratch, but Pete still cited his injuries as part of the reasoning for his not playing. I also think that there could be some other, underlying causes, like a personal rub between him and Pete, which might have been part of Adams' not being in the stadium Monday night.

But healthy or not, I do think that Pete's lost a lot of faith in Adams and that you're right, he's probably not in our future. At least I hope that he isn't.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't be so sure the team is yet at the point where they are moving on from Adams.

However, it hurts little to keep him inactive while potentially allowing him to heal up enough that he is useful to the team if they were to get to the post season tournament.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Don't be so sure the team is yet at the point where they are moving on from Adams.

However, it hurts little to keep him inactive while potentially allowing him to heal up enough that he is useful to the team if they were to get to the post season tournament.
I'm not "so sure". But I do think that it's more likely than not.

IMO the best thing to do at this point is to keep Adams inactive as a reserve in the event of an injury to Love or Diggs then cut him in the offseason. Love played his balls off and Diggs looked as good as he has all season. Healthy or not, I can't see Adams playing better than what we saw from both our safeties last Monday.

But then there's this issue of a potential rub with Pete as Adams appears to be pouting like a 5-year-old that had his marbles taken away from him. It might be better just to tell him "Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!"

Jville

Reaction score
So lets read what Pete has to say on the subject ...............

Quote: "
"He's still in recovery mode," Carroll said. "He's been in recovery mode for months. But he just continues to do everything he can possibly do to try to get right and get back, and we've just seen that the rigors of the season, it has just been taxing and all. Every day is a day that we have to reevaluate and see if we can get him to the next day and all. He couldn't do more than he's done, he's been ferocious about the attack on this, and then there are times when we need to quiet him and try to get him active and try to get him right and all that. So we're still in that mode right now. I just talked to him a little bit ago, and today is not the day to go, he's not ready for this day. We're just one day at a time. I admire everything about how he's dealt with this and handled it. It's a difficult injury, it's different than knee surgery. It's a different case for him, so it's just taken a really long time, and it's been really frustrating for him. But he's battling, he's doing everything he can to compete to get right."

Asked about the possibility of Adams being shut down for the rest of the season to let his knee get healthy, Carroll said, "It's been something that we have acknowledged, that's a decision, but so far he's wanted to keep going and driving and see what he can make of it. I just support everything where he's coming from, in every way. So we'll take it one shot at a time, and we'll figure it out together."" End Quote

Link >>>
https://www.seahawks.com/news/geno-smith-full-go-other-seahawks-injury-updates

Jville

Reaction score
Question for all the PC supporters here:

If PC plays JA and he gets burned and our defense sucks and the Seahawks lose, will you continue to think that PC makes the bestest decisions ever?

These are always a joint decision.

GemCity

Reaction score
Question for all the PC supporters here:

If PC plays JA and he gets burned and our defense sucks and the Seahawks lose, will you continue to think that PC makes the bestest decisions ever?
I lol’d 🤪.

If they scheme him correctly, I’d be ok with him coming in.

But not as an every down starter. Two of our biggest weaknesses are Wagz on pass coverage (sorry Bobby…you’re still in my top 3 favorites of all time) and…*drumroll* Adams in coverage.

Run downs….cool. Outside pressure once in awhile? Cool.

Every damn down where opposing OCs have an instant first? F all that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
So lets read what Pete has to say on the subject ...............

Quote: "
"He's still in recovery mode," Carroll said. "He's been in recovery mode for months. But he just continues to do everything he can possibly do to try to get right and get back, and we've just seen that the rigors of the season, it has just been taxing and all. Every day is a day that we have to reevaluate and see if we can get him to the next day and all. He couldn't do more than he's done, he's been ferocious about the attack on this, and then there are times when we need to quiet him and try to get him active and try to get him right and all that. So we're still in that mode right now. I just talked to him a little bit ago, and today is not the day to go, he's not ready for this day. We're just one day at a time. I admire everything about how he's dealt with this and handled it. It's a difficult injury, it's different than knee surgery. It's a different case for him, so it's just taken a really long time, and it's been really frustrating for him. But he's battling, he's doing everything he can to compete to get right."

Asked about the possibility of Adams being shut down for the rest of the season to let his knee get healthy, Carroll said, "It's been something that we have acknowledged, that's a decision, but so far he's wanted to keep going and driving and see what he can make of it. I just support everything where he's coming from, in every way. So we'll take it one shot at a time, and we'll figure it out together."" End Quote

Link >>>
https://www.seahawks.com/news/geno-smith-full-go-other-seahawks-injury-updates
That's quite an about face from what Pete said about Adams last week when he uncharacteristically laid into him in public. But then again, his comments last week were following our 4th straight loss and this week's comments were following a dramatic come from behind win.

renofox

Reaction score
I lol’d 🤪.

If they scheme him correctly, I’d be ok with him coming in.

But not as an every down starter. Two of our biggest weaknesses are Wagz on pass coverage (sorry Bobby…you’re still in my top 3 favorites of all time) and…*drumroll* Adams in coverage.

Run downs….cool. Outside pressure once in awhile? Cool.

Every damn down where opposing OCs have an instant first? F all that.
Scheme him correctly?

3 years in PC flat out stated he still didn't have a clue how to use JA.

He may not have stated it since, but it’s obvious it still holds true.

And everybody talking about using him to blitz? His last sack was THREE YEARS AGO tomorrow. He's blitzed plenty in that time but has either whiffed or not gotten off the block every single time.

The defense plays better without him, and he does not have the physical skills to be an asset. Even when he could do something, I see more "business decisions" than plays made.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scheme him correctly?

And everybody talking about using him to blitz? His last sack was THREE YEARS AGO tomorrow. He's blitzed plenty in that time but has either whiffed or not gotten off the block every single time.

The defense plays better without him, and he does not have the physical skills to be an asset. Even when he could do something, I see more "business decisions" than plays made.
He's not even doing what he does best well anymore. They've tried using him more like he was used in NY, he's washed. Jamal Adams was misused and now he's in Bob Sanders territory. For those of you who don't remember Bob Sanders, he was a dominant safety on the Colts. He played physical ball and his body fell apart and his career ended shortly and abruptly due to injuries which caused him to be impotent. That is where Jamal Adams is now.

GemCity

Reaction score
Scheme him correctly?

Touché!

Can respect that.