Some Concerning Geno Stats

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I’m all for Geno maximizing what is likely his last shot at a big money contract. However, I don’t see the Hawks being in a position roster wise where that investment would produce the desired result of Super Bowl contender within his contract window.
Who's your 'Sure Fire' Quarterback ya got that'd be waaay cheaper who's going to get even CLOSE to the same results???
in just one season, Geno has proven that he can produce, now, can you imagine how many more games the Seahawks would have won, had the Defense actually didn't stink it up in some of those games where they got trucked by everybody AND their Brother?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Who's your 'Sure Fire' Quarterback ya got that'd be waaay cheaper who's going to get even CLOSE to the same results???
in just one season, Geno has proven that he can produce, now, can you imagine how many more games the Seahawks would have won, had the Defense actually didn't stink it up in some of those games where they got trucked by everybody AND their Brother?
No such thing as a Sure Fire player, don’t kid yourself that Geno is one either.

If you’re able to get one of the top 3 (or arguably 4) QBs in the draft and combo them with a vet like Lock, Darnold, Brissett, etc on a prove it deal…

Rookie: 6.2 mil (assuming 5th pick)
Vet: 4 - 8 mil (inflated version of Geno’s 2022 contract)

So 15 mil for a QB room that should have a higher ceiling and longer runway than Geno @ 30 mil (or more) plus a few million more for his backup unless you go late round, cheap rookie and hope a 33yr old QB doesn’t miss games to injury or suspension.

WarHawks

Reaction score
We need to find the next Mahomes, because in my opinion, that's what it will take to win sb's with any regularity. I know, I know, good luck with that. But we have to at least try. Hurts is a great qb, with a great team around him, and he still lost. Let's stop settling for less than the very best. Go all in in someone who you think can be a star, and if you fail, fine. At least you gave it a shot. But hanging your hat on a good, sometimes very good, but not great qb just isn't going to get it done. Maybe in some off year for whatever reason it might, but not with any regularity. It's as simple as that. Go big or go home. I'm tired of going home.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
L
We need to find the next Mahomes, because in my opinion, that's what it will take to win sb's with any regularity. I know, I know, good luck with that. But we have to at least try. Hurts is a great qb, with a great team around him, and he still lost. Let's stop settling for less than the very best. Go all in in someone who you think can be a star, and if you fail, fine. At least you gave it a shot. But hanging your hat on a good, sometimes very good, but not great qb just isn't going to get it done. Maybe in some off year for whatever reason it might, but not with any regularity. It's as simple as that. Go big or go home. I'm tired of going home.
OLOLOL Okay WH Who ya got?
Apparently KC's Defense was good enough to nullify whatever the Eagles Offense threw at them, I mean Jaylen Hurts came close, but KC's DEFENSE came through to win the day, AND THE SUPER BOWL.
I DO know that Patrick Mahomes DID NOT win that SB all by his lonesome, that was a FULL EFFORT >TEAM< WON Championship game, Period.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
L

OLOLOL Okay WH Who ya got?
Apparently KC's Defense was good enough to nullify whatever the Eagles Offense threw at them, I mean Jaylen Hurts came close, but KC's DEFENSE came through to win the day, AND THE SUPER BOWL.
I DO know that Patrick Mahomes DID NOT win that SB all by his lonesome, that was a FULL EFFORT >TEAM< WON Championship game, Period.
I doubt Geno Smith would have been able to win that SB on that very same team. That is what people are getting at. Yes, while the defense did play a role, Mahomes and Andy Reid's offense is what was front and center stage. The guy didn't throw for a single interception in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and this is while he was playing injured. Mahomes numbers in the postseason are just nutty.

He's 11-3 in the postseason, has a 67% completion percentage, threw for 4080 yards 35 TDs and 7 INTs in his playoff career. A lot of that is due to KC's offense. I don't think it's any coincidence that Andy Reid broke his postseason curse when he drafted Mahomes.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I doubt Geno Smith would have been able to win that SB on that very same team. That is what people are getting at. Yes, while the defense did play a role, Mahomes and Andy Reid's offense is what was front and center stage. The guy didn't throw for a single interception in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and this is while he was playing injured. Mahomes numbers in the postseason are just nutty.

He's 11-3 in the postseason, has a 67% completion percentage, threw for 4080 yards 35 TDs and 7 INTs in his playoff career. A lot of that is due to KC's offense. I don't think it's any coincidence that Andy Reid broke his postseason curse when he drafted Mahomes.
100% this.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Mahomes was a #10 pick btw. During college, his Red Raiders went 13-19. His best season in Lubbock came in 2015, when Texas Tech went 7-5 in the regular season. But he also broke numerous FBS record, including throwing for over 700 yds vs Oklahoma, and 7 td's in a game. So, there could be a Mahomes in this upcoming draft, or at least someone close. Who is he? I don't know. Pay me a few million to be a college scout and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

Fudwamper

Reaction score
But, but, but the majority of these complainers are talking like it's THEY who are going to be writing the checks LOL ; Seriously though I kind of get the concern about how the CAP money is going to get spread out, but when all's said and done, It's John Schneider who will have the final say, and I trust that he has a particular number that he's locked in on.
No it's not our money, but the ROI is silly.

A good organization looks at bad decisions being made by others and changes the way they do business. As an organization the hawks should be looking at where they can get a better ROI value. I'd start with DT, LB, and S with this team.

The hawks made the playoffs as an extra team. Making the playoffs as a crap team means little. Making the playoffs use to mean something, not anymore.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No such thing as a Sure Fire player, don’t kid yourself that Geno is one either.

If you’re able to get one of the top 3 (or arguably 4) QBs in the draft and combo them with a vet like Lock, Darnold, Brissett, etc on a prove it deal…

Rookie: 6.2 mil (assuming 5th pick)
Vet: 4 - 8 mil (inflated version of Geno’s 2022 contract)

So 15 mil for a QB room that should have a higher ceiling and longer runway than Geno @ 30 mil (or more) plus a few million more for his backup unless you go late round, cheap rookie and hope a 33yr old QB doesn’t miss games to injury or suspension.
Why keep up your charade, & lying to yourself?
Everybody gets it, you don't believe in/hate Geno Smith, you are just plain WRONG....Sure, there's a REMOTE possibility that someone can come in and perform at a high level, but Geno Smith has PROVEN that he has that 'IT FACTOR' that the Seahawks NEED to compete...Surround him with a better O-Line, AND Defense, Draft or sign a couple more Offensive playmakers to enhance his savvy, and the Seahawks are right in the thick of things again in 2023.
SHOULD Geno move on, THEN you "Experiment" with the QB Issue.
"Bird in the Hand" Blue Ellis
EVEN IF they were to draft a QB, and follow your make believe path @ signing a Vet QB, you still have none, Zilch, NO guarantee that you will progress past what Geno brings to the table, sorry, but these are the FACTS that you're trying to buck your way around.
HEY!!, IF Geno walks, maybe then you'll see that RIGHT NOW, He was/is our best option...It's going to come down to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No it's not our money, but the ROI is silly.

A good organization looks at bad decisions being made by others and changes the way they do business. As an organization the hawks should be looking at where they can get a better ROI value. I'd start with DT, LB, and S with this team.

The hawks made the playoffs as an extra team. Making the playoffs as a crap team means little. Making the playoffs use to mean something, not anymore.
LOLOLOL You think John & Pete haven't done their homework?, that they aren't aware of the Ups & Downsides to Re-signing, or just letting Geno walk?????
NOT making the "Playoffs" means your team is a "Crap Team" that's in the sh*thole, MAKING it in says that your on the RIGHT TRACK.
Damned decent Rookie Left & Right Tackles, a Rookie RB in the conversation for ROY, Same for our ROOKIE DB Tarique Woolen, and you think John & Pete are screwing the pooch????
C'mon man, get serious.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

That's MAHOMES, I asked you or ANYONE to come up with someone that is EVEN IN THE CONVERSATION, that the Seahawks can target for next season, I ALREADY KNOW the answer, and IF your being honest?? so do you.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LOLOL Okay, I'll ask again, WHO YOU GOT????

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Why keep up your charade, & lying to yourself?
Everybody gets it, you don't believe in/hate Geno Smith, you are just plain WRONG....Sure, there's a REMOTE possibility that someone can come in and perform at a high level, but Geno Smith has PROVEN that he has that 'IT FACTOR' that the Seahawks NEED to compete...Surround him with a better O-Line, AND Defense, Draft or sign a couple more Offensive playmakers to enhance his savvy, and the Seahawks are right in the thick of things again in 2023.
SHOULD Geno move on, THEN you "Experiment" with the QB Issue.
"Bird in the Hand" Blue Ellis
EVEN IF they were to draft a QB, and follow your make believe path @ signing a Vet QB, you still have none, Zilch, NO guarantee that you will progress past what Geno brings to the table, sorry, but these are the FACTS that you're trying to buck your way around.
HEY!!, IF Geno walks, maybe then you'll see that RIGHT NOW, He was/is our best option...It's going to come down to the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Obviously I’m not as emotionally invested as you are in Geno. No hate, just a differing evaluation of his worth to the Hawks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Everybody gets it, you don't believe in/hate Geno Smith, you are just plain WRONG....Sure, there's a REMOTE possibility that someone can come in and perform at a high level, but Geno Smith has PROVEN that he has that 'IT FACTOR'

IT FACTOR? Oh good lord.

knownone

Reaction score
TWP has a reasonably high variance between seasons (unless your Mahomes), so it is nonpredictive. However, let's assume it is a viable metric to determine whether or not to re-sign Geno. Utilizing PFF, we see that Geno's performance is relatively volatile; he's high BTT% (big-time throw) and TWP%. The last QB to post similar career rates and win a Superbowl was Matt Stafford in 2022. For added perspective, Jimmy G has been trucking away with a low BTT% and high TWP% for several seasons before this one, and that hasn't stopped the Niners from making noise in the postseason.

So should we move on from Geno because he's a bit of a gunslinger? Maybe. I think it's more likely Geno will improve next season, given this is his first starting experience in roughly a decade. But I'm sure some of you will happily draft/sign someone else instead of re-signing Geno.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
LOLOLOL You think John & Pete haven't done their homework?, that they aren't aware of the Ups & Downsides to Re-signing, or just letting Geno walk?????
NOT making the "Playoffs" means your team is a "Crap Team" that's in the sh*thole, MAKING it in says that your on the RIGHT TRACK.
Damned decent Rookie Left & Right Tackles, a Rookie RB in the conversation for ROY, Same for our ROOKIE DB Tarique Woolen, and you think John & Pete are screwing the pooch????
C'mon man, get serious.
I did say they didn't do thier home work. I more pointed out market forces and ROI. In other words, look at the norm that has become unstable and detrimental. Geno at anything over 5mil is that.

Two words: Jamal Adams. The Hawks organization is not infallible. They have spent really bad money.

Making the playoffs used to mean you where on the right track. As the NFL expanded the playoffs it means a lot loss.

I loved the last draft. They went after the anti thesis of Malik, penny, and lj. I thought highly of Lucas, walker and mafe. Doesn't me I'm infallible. I thought Eskridge could have a chance and the same with the safety from Utah.

Ps your reply to me came off a kinda of off hinge.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

This is a fair assessment of the season KC had but on the biggest stage, the Super Bowl, that game was won by the Chiefs defense and lost by the porous Eagles secondary.

But it's also disingenuous to say Geno couldn't win with an offense designed for a completely different type of QB.

The bottom line is that the idea of chasing the next Mahomes strikes me as stupid. The NFL is not the NBA.

Aaron Rodgers has won how many Super Bowls? A team like Denver who thinks they're one QB away, how does that turn out?

Geno gave a top 5 season. If we can get him back on a fair market value (which is unfortunately much higher than people want to admit) sign him. If you can't, don't.

But landing the next Patrick Mahomes isn't a strategy, it's playing the Lottery.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is a lot riding on this discussion on both sides, Team vs. Geno, Geno vs. Team. Finding the right answer to this question which has many facets is not going to be easy for either side.

Geno certainly had a great year, exceptional in fact. However, was that it, his best year ever? Will he continue to improve, or will there be a reversion to his median? He certainly has shown he is a QB that can be a winner, but can he win games coming from behind? Was he lucky or just good this year as some here have questioned? Did his play tail off towards the end of the year, or had he been figured out? Can he win from behind with the game on the line? I ask again, because I’m not sure. To me there is a price or a contract with numerous rich incentives that would allow the team to keep him, but there are still questions to be answered. That said the decision to keep him or let him be signed elsewhere is risky for both sides. For Geno he can keep one of only 32 special jobs here but he still needs to prove himself, but may not if he prices himself out of the market the team is prepared to play. Can he be replaced with an adequate replacement in a year where the team can draft a quality young QB to develop? I’d certainly try to keep him but not at franchise money. Tough choices are to made for both sides.

For me he’s for sure not at the level of Mahommes, or Burrow, Allen, or perhaps 2-3 others but he could be in the top 6-8 if he can build or sustain this last season’s performance. No doubt his play was special, he showed he has a lot more to his game than I believed he had. Still I do have reservations, he needs to prove this year wasn’t a flash in the pan.

This comes down to money, and cap management. It will be an interesting decision. I like him though, his humility, and team first attitude. For sure he’s good and steady and that is OK, but would a special rookie be better for the team?

Last edited: