Some Concerning Geno Stats

xray

Reaction score
Here's some one season QB wonders . Matt Cassell-Mark Sanchez
Brock Osweiler-Mike Glennon-Tommy Maddox-Tyler Thigpen-Rex Grossman-Derek Anderson-Robert Griffin III-Tim Tebow .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In literal terms, no doubt. But all of us have made an investment in this team. Aside from the ridiculously priced seats, hot dogs, beer and assorted paraphernalia, time is money and how much time do we spend discussing and even promoting this team? Nope, we don't cut any checks but if we want a championship team we all know monies need to be spread around wisely.

If DK dropped 10 straight TD passes, would you say "I don't care, I'm not paying the guy"? I think we all feel a huge connection to the Seattle Seahawks, so it's not unreasonable to feel like it's our money that they're spending. Just my opinion and I probably obsess too much over these things (including the draft and FA). I'll be the first to admit I have issues, so I get it if others do not share my feelings on this topic.

The fact we were a 9-8 wildcard team but went 0-4 against the very mediocre NFC south speaks more about our lackluster defense than Geno's play IMHO.

Falcons 27-23
Saints 39-32
Bucs 21-16
Panthers 30-24

Lost those four games by 22 points, a better run D would take opposing points away and put the ball in Geno's hands enough to win at least two of those games. 2022 overall, we scored 407 points & gave up 401, the 9ers- 450 PF, 277 PA.
I love Geno, but not at 32M per, around 20M is my max and that's with a very creative team friendly deal. I'd rather draft a QB and sign Lock to a cheap one year prove it contract. Tampa & Canales have the worst cap situation in the league at 50M over and plenty of dead $. I think they (TB) are more likely to go after Lock than GS, the price of both QB's will be driven up before all is said & done.
In free agency and the draft my highest priorities are 2 DTs, 2 LBers, center, OG and QB if John & Pete fall in love with one.

Our worst 22' losses were-
9ers 27-7
Chargers 37-23
9ers 21-13
Chiefs 24-10
WC 9ers 41-23

We have cap room & draft picks, I'd rather start this new era with a talented young QB and use the cap savings on FA's to improve the O-line & defense. BTW, its not Geno's fault we didn't beat SF & KC... he has earned his payday. I just don't think we should overpay him and our longtime future success will be greater if we find that franchise QB in the next couple of years.
Logic ^^ I like that.
I agree with you on not overpaying for Geno's services.
I see him trending up so although I don't see him as a one hit wonder, he's shown that he's still a few pieces away from going next level, HOWEVER, if he's overpaid (anything over 25M) it's going to be hard as hell to fit in those right pieces on BOTH sides of the ball, and the Seahawks will continue treadmilling to nowhere.

evergreen

Reaction score
I doubt Geno Smith would have been able to win that SB on that very same team. That is what people are getting at. Yes, while the defense did play a role, Mahomes and Andy Reid's offense is what was front and center stage. The guy didn't throw for a single interception in the playoffs and Super Bowl, and this is while he was playing injured. Mahomes numbers in the postseason are just nutty.

He's 11-3 in the postseason, has a 67% completion percentage, threw for 4080 yards 35 TDs and 7 INTs in his playoff career. A lot of that is due to KC's offense. I don't think it's any coincidence that Andy Reid broke his postseason curse when he drafted Mahomes.
What if he was on the 9ers? Remember the Holy Mahomes might not have maddest again if the Bengal defender hadn't roughed him up going out of bounds. Or Hurts inexplicably dropped the ball for no reason. Or who knows what happens if the ref doesn't ruin the end of the game?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
What if he was on the 9ers? Remember the Holy Mahomes might not have maddest again if the Bengal defender hadn't roughed him up going out of bounds. Or Hurts inexplicably dropped the ball for no reason. Or who knows what happens if the ref doesn't ruin the end of the game?
A ref didn't ruin the end of that game. That was a legitimate foul, anti-climatic but it was pretty cut and dry. Luck plays a part in every Super Bowl run, even our 2013 teams run which was historically one of the best teams if we go by DVOA. You could breakdown every Super Bowl run into terms like that. What isn't luck is the fact that the Chiefs have consistently been in the AFCCG and Super Bowl since Mahomes appeared and may be on the verge of a dynasty. Does that happen with Geno Smith on the Chiefs? No, it doesn't.

The point I was making is that particular poster was talking about the Chiefs defense playing a part in that run. Sure, every Super Bowl win is a team game. That being said he was completely underselling Mahomes. The Chiefs had the 11th best defense in the NFL and 16th if we go by points. That team was still very much the Mahomes show, you put Geno in that situation and that team doesn't even reach the Super Bowl, hell they barely even made it with the best QB in the NFL right now. They also did it while dismantling the second best defense in the NFL.

Would Geno push the Niners to a Super Bowl? I don't know, but would the Niners team be the team that they are paying Geno Smith 30-40 mil a year? I personally don't think that Smith would've elevated them to new heights. His record when the game is on the line is spotty at best. In addition to that his play steadily got worse as the year went on.

Geno is not the type of QB you want to give a huge contract to and even despite a Pro Bowl, there are still some questions that need to be answered. Smith has a history of collapsing in big moments dating back to college, in addition to that his play during the last five games in particular was bad.

Geno Smith is not entirely a known quantity and he isn't a slam dunk as far as our QB situation goes.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I'm glad to see somebody who saw what I saw. Geno was reckless with the ball but god damn lucky in most cases. Not saying he sucks or anything like that but yeah I think it's time...

themunn

Reaction score
What isn't luck is the fact that the Chiefs have consistently been in the AFCCG and Super Bowl since Mahomes appeared and may be on the verge of a dynasty. Does that happen with Geno Smith on the Chiefs? No, it doesn't.

You're right, it probably doesn't - but Mahomes is going to go down as one of the greatest QBs of all time - he's already making a case for top 5, his 2 SBers and 2 MVPs make him a HoF lock already. I think anyone agrees that if you see a QB like that in the draft you take him.

Unlike our team, the Chiefs had also won 10, 11 and 12 games in the 3 years before Mahomes became a starter - with Alex Smith at the helm. There's an apt comparison there as that's another QB thought of as a journeyman until late in his career, and I would say that even at his best Alex Smith wasn't as good as Geno was last year. The important distinction I guess is that the Chiefs had 3 years with Smith under Center while Reid built the team, then drafted the cheap (HoF) QB as the missing piece that took them from a perennial 11 win team to perennial... 12 win team (3 12 win seasons, 2 14 win seasons).

With our defense at the moment a top-tier QB might take us from the 9 wins we won to a 12 win season *maybe*, but until we fix the rest of the holes we should be focussing on that. UNLESS, of course, you see a Mahomes in the draft.