Seattle Mariners vs Houston Astros May 27-29

Crizilla

Reaction score
Should have been pinch hitting Lewis there.
I’m done with SS as manager. No killer instinct, no urgency to win.
Why did he sit Lewis anyway? He's homered in consecutive games, he's hot. This isn't the first time we've seen SS sit a hot guy. It's not like they are going to wear him out either he's DH'ing they are already playing it cool with him by not having him run around in the outfield. I guess they thought "oh well we won the first 2 games of the series who cares about a sweep".

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Why did he sit Lewis anyway? He's homered in consecutive games, he's hot. This isn't the first time we've seen SS sit a hot guy. It's not like they are going to wear him out either he's DH'ing they are already playing it cool with him by not having him run around in the outfield. I guess they thought "oh well we won the first 2 games of the series who cares about a sweep".
Exactly, they are acting like they are playing with house money because they took the series when they are a bottom of their division team.

They had him originally in the lineup, then said they wanted to give him a “full days rest”, hint, tomorrow is an off day (see full day of rest).

This stinks of “over thinking it”.

I like Lou’s old philosophy, you have a day off from “starting”, not from playing if needed to pinch hit.

W

Welshers

This team sucks because of sucky ownership and management.

I love the game of baseball that’s why I’ve been a fan of this team since it’s inception. I’m not on board with the team leaving. I’ve spent 35 years wanting an NHL team and finally got one, and as bad as they were I enjoyed the hell out of them.

Shitty baseball still beats no baseball, as hard as that is to swallow at times.

Saying that, this team’s ownership has run out of rope IMHO. No more excuses, are they committed to winning or not. Saying you are and backing it up with actions and spending are 2 different things.

So far the Mariners have talked about it, and haven’t backed it up.

You can see why the Mariners were against the Sonics coming back and the Kraken coming to town.
They didn’t want any more competition for the local sports dollar. More competition means more $$$ will have to be spent to field a perennial playoff team.

Rant over.
No I pretty much 100% agree with you. I'd much rather have them stay and with new ownership. I wouldn't actually want them to leave I'm kind of just being an idiot blowing off steam, but this is such a dumpster fire part of me just thinks if ownership and management wont try then whats the point. They might as well leave if they are happy being trash (not that I want them to).

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Torrens batting .197 with 0 homers. Is Lewis hurt again? No pinch hit? M's won't dig themselves out of the grave with these catcher woes. Like I said before possibly the worst catcher situation in the league.
Medical staff said no for Lewis.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Because the medical team said to remove him. That is why.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Medical staff probably weighed the chance to re-injure the knee if he played. Even as a DH, it works the knees, especially if he would have to slide into a base or something, which is how he first injured it in the minors IIRC. Like I said before, it looked to me like he was running a bit gingerly Saturday night. Better to save that "have to play" mode to later in the season when hopefully we're in a playoff hunt and it is more worth the risk to the player. With two days rest, maybe we get him for an extended time playing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Medical staff probably weighed the chance to re-injure the knee if he played. Even as a DH, it works the knees, especially if he would have to slide into a base or something, which is how he first injured it in the minors IIRC. Like I said before, it looked to me like he was running a bit gingerly Saturday night. Better to save that "have to play" mode to later in the season when hopefully we're in a playoff hunt and it is more worth the risk to the player. With two days rest, maybe we get him for an extended time playing.
If Lewis is that fragile he shouldn’t be playing, period.
Also the sliding part, I’d have zero issue if he wouldn’t slide. He’s not even running @ 100% right now which I have no problem with, as Ty France isn’t running @ 100% either.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
If Lewis is that fragile he shouldn’t be playing, period.
Also the sliding part, I’d have zero issue if he wouldn’t slide. He’s not even running @ 100% right now which I have no problem with, as Ty France isn’t running @ 100% either.
Meh. It's the trade off. Risk one game now (which we nearly won) vs getting him a little stronger to play more later. I'm OK with it. Obviously you aren't. One minor tweak of his knee could bench him for weeks or maybe months. Lot of season left to take those kinds of risks, IMO.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
After the game Servais said Lewis wasn't available to play. If this was simply to rest his knee, I'm not sure it is worth having a roster spot for a DH who can only play two games in a row, and then can't even pinch hit in the third game.

We won't really know the details, but this could be basbeall managers just being fickle and managing their young star player. If he is in the lineup tomorrow that will tell us a lot. My guess is this is no different than a manager thinking a pitcher's arm will fall off if he throws pitch 100. I know the kid is fragile, but he really can't go up there and just swing a bat and jog to first base?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Meh. It's the trade off. Risk one game now (which we nearly won) vs getting him a little stronger to play more later. I'm OK with it. Obviously you aren't. One minor tweak of his knee could bench him for weeks or maybe months. Lot of season left to take those kinds of risks, IMO.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
After the game Servais said Lewis wasn't available to play. If this was simply to rest his knee, I'm not sure it is worth having a roster spot for a DH who can only play two games in a row, and then can't even pinch hit in the third game.

We won't really know the details, but this could be basbeall managers just being fickle and managing their young star player. If he is in the lineup tomorrow that will tell us a lot. My guess is this is no different than a manager thinking a pitcher's arm will fall off if he throws pitch 100. I know the kid is fragile, but he really can't go up there and just swing a bat and jog to first base?
Yep. That’s why I brought up Lou a few posts back. Your “day off” meant you were originally out of the lineup. Didn’t mean you couldn’t pinch hit if not needed.

If 3 or 4 AB’s (playing no defense) are going to ruin the kid’s knee, he should be rehabbing in the minors.

IMHO I think it’s a soft manager covering his own ass.
I know some will disagree with that, but oh well.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Haniger sprained his ankle just taking a swing at a pitch. Even the act of batting puts stresses on the lower legs. Just playing them until they break is not a good long term strategy either. 🤷‍♂️

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

Medical staff said no. Kyle Lewis was in the lineup. Medical staff said no.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Yep. That’s why I brought up Lou a few posts back. Your “day off” meant you were originally out of the lineup. Didn’t mean you couldn’t pinch hit if not needed.

If 3 or 4 AB’s (playing no defense) are going to ruin the kid’s knee, he should be rehabbing in the minors.

IMHO I think it’s a soft manager covering his own ass.
I know some will disagree with that, but oh well.

You can not battle with the medical staff.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You can not battle with the medical staff.
I know you, Sutz and others are going to disagree with this but….I’d ask him (Kyle) if he could go. Medical staff is likely covering for their boss, SS.

Like I said in previous posts. If he is so hurt he cannot even pinch hit after playing 2 games in a row, he needs to be back rehabbing in the minors.

balakoth

Reaction score
The manager of the team is boss of the medical staff? Thats an interesting one heh. Why do we even have a medical staff then

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I know you, Sutz and others are going to disagree with this but….I’d ask him (Kyle) if he could go. Medical staff is likely covering for their boss, SS.

Like I said in previous posts. If he is so hurt he cannot even pinch hit after playing 2 games in a row, he needs to be back rehabbing in the minors.
Scott had him in the lineup. So the medical staff was not covering for SS. They made the decision. Then SS had to redo the lineup card.