Houston Astros @ Seattle Mariners Sep 25-27

Chapow

Reaction score
I would trade them for the Sonics so quick. M’s only have one playoff appearance since the Sonics left.

I'd rather watch the M's lose 100 games a year for the next 2 decades than trade them for an NBA team. Hell, I wouldn't trade the UW women's softball team for an NBA team.

And for the record, it's not out of spite (anymore). The Sonics have been gone and dead and buried for a long time at this point. I'm over it. But every time I try to watch an NBA game I just get bored and find myself grabbing my phone and scrolling random crap on the internet. I just don't find it interesting or even the least bit compelling.

Chapow

Reaction score
Technically everyone was right. Not spending enough, barely if any coaching going on, etc. Your line up can't have the same problem year in and year out (High strike out team with low team average). The Marlins, reds, cleveland, nats all have better team average.

No slugging at 2nd hurts.Total number of runs they are 12th but that doesn't tell you everything.

Remember, the rebuild started in 2019. They should be better for sure. I'm seeing no progression or coaching. M's need a Shane Waldron.

They were 68-94 in 2019.
2020 is pretty much a throw away season because of covid.
90-72 in 2021.
90-72, made the playoffs, and won a playoff series in 2022.
Currently sitting at 84-72 with 6 games remaining.

Yes, it appears they've taken a small step backwards this season (largely due to completely failing to do anything to make the team better last off season), but I have no idea how anyone can sit there and say they've seen no progression since 2019.

This team would almost certainly be winning the division at this point if only they had added like 2 solid bats last off season, but instead they decided to once again go cheap and roll with a bunch of guys like Wong, Pollock, LaStella, Moore, Cabby, Ford, Haggerty, etc.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh Free Agency and a lack of good trades caught up. Going on the cheap, every year of their existence basically. So f'ing tired of them not going the extra mile to get over the hump.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Personally, I think that losing Robbie Ray and Marco Gonzalez and playing half the season trying to rely on rookie starters in leverage games caught up to us and hurt us as much or more than any bat could have overcome.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So many reasons they are where they are. It would take a half an hour to come up with how many games they gave away.........
Good point on the starting pitching. Woo has very little experience as a pitcher, and they relied on him to pitch a lot.

Chapow

Reaction score
Personally, I think that losing Robbie Ray and Marco Gonzalez and playing half the season trying to rely on rookie starters in leverage games caught up to us and hurt us as much or more than any bat could have overcome.

Yeah. This too for sure.

If you go back and look at our results in September, you'll notice that our pitching (both starters and bullpen) have been giving up a lot of runs in a lot of those games. Especially the losses. They've been giving up 6, 7, 8 runs a game pretty consistently this month. The thing is, we've been close in a lot of those games. A couple more solid bats in the lineup could have made a difference and flipped some of those games from losses to wins. At this point, a couple more wins and a couple less losses very well could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. I think the young guys stepped up and would have put up better numbers than those veterans if they pitched. I honestly cringed when Marco or Ray were on the mound, just my opinion and YMMV.

What happened was the starting pitching and bullpen carried the team most of the year. Their offensive ineptness caught up to them. I never get excited when the M’s have the bases loaded with no outs. Why, because they likely won’t score a run.

This epic failure lays at the feet of their bean counting owner John Stanton.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Its not like those two guys are better than Bryan Woo or Bryce Miller anyways. But to me, I think not having at least a lefty starter may be culprit.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Its not like those two guys are better than Bryan Woo or Bryce Miller anyways. But to me, I think not having at least a lefty starter may be culprit.
I look at them as veteran lefty starters. We missed them IMO.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
And here we are again, please just win.

Nice job by Kirby to get out of the first inning jam.

Welshers2

Reaction score
An absolute kick in the gut last night. Stadium was rockin and ready to go. They had ZERO spark. Got absolutely dominated.
I haven't said this in a while, but they are DONE. So p***ed and bummed today.........
Congrats to all the downers like TIMD and the rest of them, you were right. They choked. I'm sure it feels great for you.
Actually it felt terrible. Believe it or not we don't want the team to lose. Just because we call it the way we see it means that we want them to lose. it's called objectivity. I would love to be wrong. If they hold on tonight there's still a prayer.

Last edited:

QWERTY

Reaction score
An absolute kick in the gut last night. Stadium was rockin and ready to go. They had ZERO spark. Got absolutely dominated.
I haven't said this in a while, but they are DONE. So p***ed and bummed today.........
Congrats to all the downers like TIMD and the rest of them, you were right. They choked. I'm sure it feels great for you.

Well they were against Verlander.

I mean Astros only have 1 decent pitcher, all of their SP and RP are all used up.

Echawks

Reaction score
who threw the ball at kirby lol.. i have never seen that before

Welshers2

Reaction score
who threw the ball at kirby lol.. i have never seen that before
wtf was that?!?!? it was some teenage kid in a kelenic jersey nailed Kirby with a foul ball. his mom was screaming at him LMAO that was absolutely bizzare

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla and I agree that SS took Kirby out too early!

Jokes aside, I would have kept Kirby in. We may need the pen a lot tomorrow with Woo pitching. Kirby’s easily could have gone another inning.