Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm starting to like this pick a lot when i look at his highlights and image him in our Offense. Defenses HAVE to pay attention to his speed.

I know it was probably a reach, but the Hawks probably identified him as the perfect WR for what they need right now and so they made sure they got their guy rather than play games worrying about Draft Grades.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1jc65eev said:
In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Oh no....seriously. Paul Richardson? They could have got this guy in the 4th round. What a waste of a pick. This guy makes Harvin look buff. Dude better get bigger or he's going to get smashed at LOS. Not thrilled with this pick at all. What are you thinking PC/JS?

I just want to point out that Harvin is probably the strongest WR on the roster, he's stronger then Tate, Kearse, Rice, Baldwin, and Lockette (but I'm not entirely sure on RL though).

Percy Harvin is a tank.

On Paul Richardson, I like this move... imo this is a chess piece directed at the Cardinals as well as the Defensive Line in the NFC West. The Seahawks couldn't beat the Cardinals over the top, no matter how many times they tried in the Home loss. Percy Harvin is better served as a swiss army knife in the short to intermediate passing game.

This is a good pick... speed, speed, speed... or in this case elite separation... is the logical term...against blitz happy teams Richardson might eventually be Russell's Guardian Angel.

I really want ASJ but I'm not going to question the Front Office of the Superbowl Champions , Seattle Seahawks in a negative matter, no they aren't always right but they run this show not us.

Also, this is some quality leverage against Harvin to renegotiate after this year or next plus possibly brings Baldwins asking price down just a tad.

What does speed do for you when your ass is on the ground from a hit at LOS? Nothing. Rams have the best DL in the NFL and they upgraded that. Moncrief was still on the board. There's size and speed. This is a nightmare pick for me but he's a Seahawk now and I'll support him as long as he on the team. Hope I'm wrong about him. Go Seahawks!!!

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hawkfan68":yewsezp9 said:
What does speed do for you when your ass is on the ground from a hit at LOS? Nothing. Rams have the best DL in the NFL and they upgraded that. Moncrief was still on the board. There's size and speed. This is a nightmare pick for me but he's a Seahawk now and I'll support him as long as he on the team. Hope I'm wrong about him. Go Seahawks!!!

Moncrief is still on the board. There may be a reason, and he may still be available, should we really want him. So are some big possession receivers.

Remember: we are just past the point where Russell Wilson was picked, and not yet to where we picked Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc., etc...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I find the people who hate on the pick and then say "hope I'm wrong" to be funny.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":34dlu54s said:
hawkfan68":34dlu54s said:

Moncrief is still on the board. There may be a reason, and he may still be available, should we really want him. So are some big possession receivers.

Remember: we are just past the point where Russell Wilson was picked, and not yet to where we picked Sherman, Baldwin, Kearse, etc., etc...

Baldwin and Kearse were UDFA.

kearly

Reaction score
My first thought with this pick- the interest Seattle put out there for Brandin Cooks was probably legit. Cooks and Richardson were the two mini-speedsters from this draft with good route running.

I think Richardson's game tape is very ordinary, but at least he has plenty of room on his frame to add weight and it makes sense that Seattle would target a vertical threat WR.

Seattle has made good use out of bland prospects before. Bobby Wagner's college game tape was so boring it would put you in a coma, but he's been a valuable player for Seattle. Luke Willson had boring college tape, but had a good rookie season. Kearse and Zach Miller are kind of boring, but they are clutch and they help the team in multiple ways.

Besides, many of the players we've been talking about are still on the board, and I'm guessing a few will still be there in the 4th and 5th rounds, where Seattle has four picks now. Maybe we still end up with a few favorites.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2yxqhput said:
Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.

Hopefully he is pedestrian, too.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":76gk2ig9 said:
Blitzer88":76gk2ig9 said:
Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.

Hopefully he is pedestrian, too.
lmao

CANHawk

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":3chc2idl said:
Wow! after watching some video on this guy he doesn't get separation, he gets a full fledged divorce! I think they have found a gem.
Lol. Great pun!

You nailed it though. The dude has legit "tilt the field" potential, and our guys will always take the guy with the incredible talent over what we allegedly "need". I Like the pick. A scenario with Harvin, CMike and this guy all on the field at the same time is downright scary.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Not only can the guy move, but he makes a ton of over the shoulder, fade type passes in stride and keeps his feet.

I just don't ever set expectations for the Hawks draft picks, these guys draft kids who end up playing and while this kid isn't a 6'4 guy, he is a 6'0 guy with pads-on speed that will make the perfect weapon on those plays where Wilson drops really deep and buys time.

Wilson can get this guy the ball and that is all that I care about.

sc85sis

Reaction score
As someone mentioned earlier, he played high school ball at Serra with Robert Woods, Marqise Lee and George Farmer (and those four are truly an embarrassment of riches for a coach). His high school coach is quoted in this article from a few years ago as saying that of the four, Richardson was the most polished and had the best hands. Yes, that's HS ball, but when you factor that in with what he accomplished at Colorado on a bad team with horrible quarterback play, it's an indication that he could be a really good player.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18907695

We have speed with Percy. Lockette is still developing and is a speed guy. Now we have another speed WR. That's a good combo with Doug, Kearse and whoever else makes the roster.

General Manager

Reaction score
He played in every game last year so his injury wasn't that bad apparently. He also lit up Oregon for 134 yards .

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HansGruber":dzbhpll6 said:
[youtube]cPM-qjuCJ3Y[/youtube]

[youtube]BnlKFbW7fZw[/youtube]

His top gear is RE-DICK-YOU-LUS...looks like a guy is gaining on him and then he's OUT!

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
His ankles are small and his pinkies are short. Terrible pick?

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
"The Seahawks area about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Snohomie

Reaction score
Richardson gives me really strong Mike Wallace vibes. I think Richardson has better hands (although some drops, some amazing catches) and fights for the ball surprisingly well for his size.

Definitely not the pick I'd have made, but the fit is obvious. He will help take the top off the defense, take advantage of defenses that creep up on the run, and shows the ability to recognize and throttle down in zone.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Watching tape he reminds me of Marvin Harrison, minus Marvin's elite hands. Quickness, down-field separation, awareness and route running seem to be Richardson's strengths. Same build type as Marvin too, albeit more explosive (Harrison ran 4.49 at his combine). If he has the work ethic... his "issues" improve, which include his slight size and drop tenancies, then boys and girls we have a game changer.

I think we needed a guy like Richardson. His speed will be something that defenses have to account for. No more single coverage outside, which now opens things up for everyone else. No, he probably wasn't who we are waiting for at #45 (I'm guessing Lee or maybe Matthews). And no, I don't think he starts week 1 necessarily. However, we may see him at PR and should at least see him in a few packages at WR and potentially more as next season progresses.

Welcome to the party, PRich :vodka: