DK!!!!!! PICK 64 ROUND 2 DK METCALF WR OLE MISS

DJrmb

Reaction score
Fade":190qwy4k said:
[youtube]Y9EAnLHj2v4[/youtube]

A good breakdown for those who want to know.

This breakdown totally sold me, thanks for posting it Fade. The only thing that will keep him from being a super star is injury or the team not using him correctly like Ole Miss. 75% of Megatron's routes in his career were the routes DK already runs well, that don't require quick stop/start and cuts. Don't try to make him Doug Baldwin, let him be Megatron and watch him shine.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Floor - Darius Heyward Bey
Ceiling - Terrell Owens
Likely Career - Demaryius Thomas

I'm ok with that from a 64 overall pick.

John63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1wb80auu said:
TransGenderHawkFan":1wb80auu said:
I should have been more clear. He slipped twice during his 3 cone drill.
I noticed that as well, and I've been wondering why it wasn't mentioned by the mediots.

Because it does not help the narrative for some that he will suck

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ov59lwe said:
I keep reading posts saying Metcalf has bad hands, but all the draft reports, and short clips say the opposite.

I'm thinking he's like a Super Kearse, with the occasional "Oh No!" drop .

Unfortunately, watching tape shows only so so hands.

He does not make the mistake of bringing the ball to his body often, but his drops are real and not only stress related. He does not catch balls thrown "to" him with correct form and this is hard to correct with training at this stage. He has absolutely massive hands and catching balls over his shoulder for go routes is absolutely no problem for him though, and that is the one that counts here.

Frankly I am super excited with this pick, I would have been 100% onboard if he had been our first pick. I have been in the "we need a tall receiver" camp since Wilson became our starter and I am beyond excited to see what this kid can do.

True, he has only 2 routes. He can fly past corner or if given cushion he can catch the ball close to the line and run through the corner for decent yards after the catch. If he develops a slant his ceiling is stratospheric, I am guessing most teams think he won't or he would have been a top 5 pick.

IF DK is able to catch as few as 2 long passes per game (averages 4 in college):
Every time he lines up, corners will have to either give him cushion or bring in a safety. This will open up balls for Locket and the run game. Every third and long that turns into a scramble will now be in play, and we have a lot of those. Every fourth quarter where we are within a touchdown of winning can become a toss up.

I am not looking for Calvin or Julio, I am not saying DK would be a great fit for other teams. For the Seahawks with RW he is a fantastic fit. We will keep running the ball, he will not necessarily get great numbers and I don't care. He is exactly what we needed.

Steal of the draft

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
toffee":10j9dbg9 said:
5_Golden_Rings":10j9dbg9 said:
Moss ran faster than 4.38 bro. He ran a 4.25, allegedly. And a 39 inch vertical.

https://proimageamerica.com/blogs/news/ ... -the-freak

EDIT- by the way, the wikipedia says the values are from the NFL combine. RANDY MOSS DID NOT ATTEND THE COMBINE (most likely due to marijuana).

EDIT 2- Your wikipedia article lists Randy Moss as just over 6 feet tall. He was 6 foot four. SMH who edits these things? I'm going to go try to fix it. It looks like some dumbarse used Santana Moss' numbers. Hopefully my edit, which deletes the entire NFL combine table, which he DID NOT WORK OUT AT, will stay. I'm sure the dummy mods will undo my CORRECT edit, though.

I kinda remember Randy was faster than 4.38sec, so was a bit surprised by the wiki stats. Wiki did get his height right, 6' 3 5/8".
In the main box, yes. But not in the Combine stuff. His height is way wrong there, as are all the measurables. Look:

Moss wrong bitch

As you can see, it says 6 FOOT 3/8, not six THREE 3/8. Moreover, a vertical is not hand timed. He did not only jump 33 inches, and whoever believes that should just quit football altogether. Not only did his pro day measure a significantly higher vertical, his tape shows it, too.

Dude is much faster than 4.38. Wikipedia is edited by any clown who has an account. It's wrong. Period.

EDIT- oh, wait, someone fixed the height. Still, the 40 and vertical are dead wrong.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
chris98251":1h10xpbo said:
Metcalf and Ferguson are both something Schotty wanted for our offense to open it up, bigger targets means bigger catch radius also and when you add the speed you are not forcing the defense to make choices, can our guys get to Wilson before he throws or do we double cover under and over ? That will leave someone open and or create a seam for a RB to get into.

Throw in we added speed all over in draft picks as well as our hold overs with Lockett and Moore and guys that seen spot duty and then McKissic and Penny it should be fun to watch.

Having big guys like Metcalf (and possibly Ferguson) would definitely open up the passing game, they probably would have passed more last season if they had that tall, speedy receiver. To me, this is a sign that they're not going to repeat the mistakes they made in the WC loss. I can't wait to see what the offense is going to look like.

LTH

Reaction score
I just dont think its reasonable to believe what the media says about this guy or they're assessment.... he will get into the Seahawk system and the key factor will be if he buys into Carroll or not. Clearly he has the tools, Clearly he will get the coaching and he will get the attention from Wilson. It will depend on how motivated he is, how well he competes and how hard he works. I think its a good pick. Like always the Seahawks will put him in position to gain success from his strengths and he has the QB with one of the best long balls in the NFL... but most of the national media just reads off of Que cards.. they dont understand the Seahawks mental philosophy and what it takes to even make the team...

So dont listen to these guys they dont get it...

LTH

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":3fvmfhcq said:
I just dont think its reasonable to believe what the media says about this guy or they're assessment.... he will get into the Seahawk system and the key factor will be if he buys into Carroll or not. Clearly he has the tools, Clearly he will get the coaching and he will get the attention from Wilson. It will depend on how motivated he is, how well he competes and how hard he works. I think its a good pick. Like always the Seahawks will put him in position to gain success from his strengths and he has the QB with one of the best long balls in the NFL... but most of the national media just reads off of Que cards.. they dont understand the Seahawks mental philosophy and what it takes to even make the team...

So dont listen to these guys they dont get it...

LTH

Guessing our front office forced them to eat crow a few times. Those guys couldn't wait to get even whichever way they could.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1nben61h said:
Hasselbeck":1nben61h said:
RolandDeschain":1nben61h said:
I wonder if you're ready to actually put something on the line to back your opinion up? A penalty for being wrong, if you do indeed turn out to be wrong.

Sure Roland. When you do that same thing for the countless times you’re wrong we can work something out ;)
I already have a couple of times. Remember the wager I made with MysterMatt?

Also, I'm not ragging on you for having an opinion; making a prediction is not the same thing. Either you're man enough to back it, or you're not. Click my name and search through my posts for a while, and show me the last prediction I made.

Over the years, I've been growing more and more tired of people being Internet tough guys who will predict anything that pops into what passes for their mind, because why not; there's no downside to being wrong. There is zero incentive to try and actually be right.

So - you man enough to put something of substance on the line for your prediction, or do you remain sitting in your chair trying to play wise sage and who cares if you're wrong 9/10 times, or right 9/10 times, because there are no ill effects for being wrong or rewards for being right?

Wow, that's a lot of emotional investment there for simply being fans of a sport and a sports team and the players. Crap, I mean we get penalized all the time for being wrong, marrying the wrong person, choosing the wrong (slowest) line at the supermarket checkout, choosing the wrong car. Poo, now we are looking at consequences and penalties for so fanatical (by definition) and being wrong about our guesses and predictions? This sucks. A friendly bet is always a good thing though, long as the loser pays up.

Sometimes being able to see through the mediot blabber is all it takes to make an accurate "prediction". My last *prediction* involved Frank Clark, that he would turn into a terrific player for the Seahawks. I could see the false allegations playbook and the fingerprints of Borderlines and Narcissists, and people being so ready to dog him for his assorted mistakes, especially his alleged mistakes that were media-embellished to fit their narrative, but there was a much more complicated backstory. I could also see Clark had accepted the consequences for legit mistakes (like breaking in and stealing a stereo from a dorm room as a freshman IIRC) and that his reputation on the Michigan team was as a team leader, hard worker, high motor all-the-time guy. Combined with his impressive athletic talent, and the way he communicated in actual interviews, it was apparent he is and was a very smart guy. Really not a very shocking prediction. A fluke career ending injury is about all that could have derailed the Frank Clark train.

I actually predicted Russell Wilson to the Seahawks in the 3rd round back in the day. That was pure luck and guesswork, wishwork. I wished it and somehow it happened anyway despite me wishing for it. This year a lot of guys wished for DK to the Seahawks, plus some for Ben Burr-Kiven. It's always fun when the wishes come true, and even more fun when the wished-for player excels.

The jury is still out on Penny, and we could say this is his make-or-break year, and predict either he will go off like a firecracker, or fade away into irrelevance like the super-physically-talented Christine Michael.

For DK, it seems exceedingly foolish to me for anyone to bet against him. All he really needs to do is be a better, faster Jermaine Kearse. Easier than it sounds, though; Kearse was a super-smart football player for us; sometimes it seemed people didn't give him much credit for that. Kearse worked his ass off for two years on the practice squad to get his shot with the big club. DK will have to develop the football smarts to read the game the way that Kearse did, the way that Paul Richardson did, the way that Golden Tate did. And the way that a bunch of other would-be receiving stars didn't develop, at least for us. Kris Durham, Kevin Norwood, Amarah Darboh, etc. Of course, this could be the year that Darboh goes all Golden Tate on us. It's pretty much like Russell says... Is he a good worker? Is he coming here ready to work? If so, the sky's the limit.

My shocking prediction: DK will have a Seahawks career that outdoes Jerome Kearse, Golden Tate, Kevin Norwood, Kris Durham, and Amara Darboh. He won't outdo Randy Moss or Megatron or Julio in terms of numbers, but he will have a big, big impact at timely moments in games. In his first two years, he'll have roughly the receiving impact of say, a Daryl Turner in Turner's first two years in Seattle. 30-40 receptions, 6-10 TDs. His actual numbers will be less important than the adjustments his presence forces the opposing defenses to make, and the way that opens up the whole range of the offense. He will also pancake some DBs and LBs and Chris Carson will have a couple long (40+ yard) TD runs this year and next on account of DK blocks downfield. Would that be worth a 2nd round choice? HELL YES!!

If I'm wrong... and it's not even close... I pledge to run 5 miles around the State Capitol building and Capitol Lake, the week of next year's draft, wearing a sandwich sign declaring... "I WAS WRONG!! MY PREDICTIONS SUCK!!" on the front and "DK IS A BUM AND A WASTED PICK!!" on the back, and post pictures documenting the event here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
olyfan63":3v2ssiqw said:
I actually predicted Russell Wilson to the Seahawks in the 3rd round back in the day. That was pure luck and guesswork, wishwork. I wished it and somehow it happened anyway despite me wishing for it.
Too bad you can't prove it. You registered on this forum less than two weeks before the 2012 draft where we picked up Wilson, and your first post wasn't until October of 2012.

Anyhoo, you say that's a lot of emotional investment on my part, but you've been around long enough to see my long-term posting habits. In response to that, I'd say: "Not really."

brimsalabim

Reaction score
As big and physical as DK is, I wonder if we might field a package with him lining up at TE to isolate him on a linebacker? Sure he’d have to run block every once in a while to sell it but what linebacker covers him on a pass route?

Jac

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but he also creates an interesting strategic opportunity with the way PI is now reviewable. Hands or no hands, his size plus Wilson's accuracy means a CB will need to play the ball perfectly. Even if you put a bigger CB on him like Sherman, he'll have 2-3 steps on him (at least) which will make it even harder to keep his hands off him. Down by 7 with two minutes to go, heave it four times to DK, Moore, or Jennings. It could create a pretty cheesy situation around the league, but they made the rules.

toffee

Reaction score
brimsalabim":oedv8uhr said:
As big and physical as DK is, I wonder if we might field a package with him lining up at TE to isolate him on a linebacker? Sure he’d have to run block every once in a while to sell it but what linebacker covers him on a pass route?

Intriguing!

I would like to see Lockett in the slot, Metcalf and Jenning as split and flanker. feeling like that would give opposing team team some match up nightmare.

sutz

Reaction score
brimsalabim":sn3samco said:
So you want to turn him into Jimmy Graham? :twisted:

In that case, the SS would probably cover him anyway.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
sutz":5xq5ehez said:
brimsalabim":5xq5ehez said:

From what I have read, Metcalf is a willing and able blocker, not an unwilling, incompetent one.

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1e3yno04 said:
sutz":1e3yno04 said:
brimsalabim":1e3yno04 said:

From what I have read, Metcalf is a willing and able blocker, not an unwilling, incompetent one.

His dad played in the NFL and was a Lineman from what I read, he better be able to block.

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":fmntav0g said:
His dad played in the NFL and was a Lineman from what I read, he better be able to block.

So not Eric?

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
I just hope that expectations aren't sky high for the guy here and that people are patient (Who am I kidding of course that will happen here lol). Rookie WRs rarely make a huge impact in year one.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":ay3s95ql said:
I just hope that expectations aren't sky high for the guy here and that people are patient (Who am I kidding of course that will happen here lol). Rookie WRs rarely make a huge impact in year one.
I believe the majority here know this, but there is a very vocal minority who often out-shout the majority (who prefer not to shout).

Having said that, if Baldwin does retire, it leaves a hole that someone will need to fill, and that means at least one of our rooks needs to step up and catch some passes.