Pick 47, 2nd Round - Marquise Blair , S, Utah

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is probably the draft pick that concerns me the most, but only because of the skinny frame. If this kid gets injured left and right you'd have to almost assess that Hawks scouting has a learning disorder. Seems like every other year they draft a toothpick or somebody that's top heavy with skinny legs and somehow it's a surprise that they are never available. We got once decent year out of Richardson, which basically made it a waste of a previous second rounder. If players will have issues with availability by nature, I don't see any logic in that what so ever. Hope I'm wrong....

Lithium

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1s4ywr31 said:
This IS a reach but hopefully he turns into Kam 2.0.

A reach to who? you? draft "Experts"?

You are calling him a reach and yet hoping he becomes as good as the guy this same front office didnt take until round 5.
hahaha.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Lithium":npm6llua said:
Northwest Seahawk":npm6llua said:
This IS a reach but hopefully he turns into Kam 2.0.

A reach to who? you? draft "Experts"?

You are calling him a reach and yet hoping he becomes as good as the guy this same front office didnt take until round 5.
hahaha.
This is where draft nonsense fails. You think noting that Kam being taken in the 5th somehow wins a discussion. It's almost funny.

Conversely, a reach isn't a reach if it's your guy and, more importantly, you're right.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Brock is going to happy on tomorrow morning’s show. I listened to some of heir Friday show today and he was pumping Blair’s tires.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing more entertaining than someone calling a guy a "reach"
Yeah, because I'm sure you know SO much about all the guys the Hawks picked. Everyone magically becomes an expert on a guy they likely know VERY little about. Translation - they didn't pick someone YOU wanted and/or that the "experts" had on their board. Screw the board, the Hawks pick guys who have a chip, love football and fit their OWN system.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
while I have high hopes for this player....the reason we drafted him is because we have questions on two safeties we drafted just two years ago.

and their highlights on YouTube looked great too.

let's see how this guy practices before we call him BB or Kam 2.0

jmahon316

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":upirotff said:
Nothing more entertaining than someone calling a guy a "reach"
Yeah, because I'm sure you know SO much about all the guys the Hawks picked. Everyone magically becomes an expert on a guy they likely know VERY little about. Translation - they didn't pick someone YOU wanted and/or that the "experts" had on their board. Screw the board, the Hawks pick guys who have a chip, love football and fit their OWN system.

Yes. So much this. SOOOOO much this. This season is going to be so magical, no one will see it coming.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
truehawksfan":2x3hzc0x said:
while I have high hopes for this player....the reason we drafted him is because we have questions on two safeties we drafted just two years ago.

and their highlights on YouTube looked great too.

let's see how this guy practices before we call him BB or Kam 2.0

So you are concerned because a 4th round pick at safety didn't turn out to be the next Earl Thomas?

I'll admit that Thompson is pretty non-descript at safety. But Hill was rapidly coming on last year and I think he'll be in the mix to start this year with Blair.

I'm thinking Hill, McDougald and Blair make a good safety corps and Thompson can be injury insurance.

The Seahawks are easily the best team at evaluating secondary talent. We've taken one DB in the first round under Carrolls watch and now one in the second round. Otherwise all our DB's have been late round picks and the fact that we've put out solid secondaries for years now with low end draft capital, is a testament to our coaching and evaluation process.

But I do agree with pumping the tires on anointing rookies as saviors. But I respect Carroll enough to know that he can make many a day 2 and 3 pick a decent player if they have the right mental makeup.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I love and hate this pick. But we needed a safety badly.

I love his attitude and how physical he is. It is hard to love defense and not enjoy watching him play throwing himself at the opposing players with abandon.

I hate how he gets injured and specifically hate his terrible tackling form. Someone who played better defense than I did can probably explain why I have nothing to worry about. But I see a lot of shoulder hits when we really need guys to be wrapped up. He looks good in games but I saw that then too.

I hate how often he leaves his feet to make hits. Really hard to change direction running full speed, but it is even more difficult to do when you are in the air.

But his weaknesses appear to be size, durability, and his tackling technique, and we seem to do a good job teaching tackling. So hopefully that tackling weakness is just a skill gap that would be easily overcome.

He should be able to put on some additional size without losing too much speed, hopefully not at an additional cost of durability which is already a concern. I actually hope better tackling can make a difference on how liable to get hurt he appears to be.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":il0u1m4e said:
Maelstrom787":il0u1m4e said:
He's got range and versatility. He's played single-high, as well as two deep looks. Box, too, but not a fit there in the pros due to his slight frame. Plays with his hair on fire, which can not be taught. This guy reeks of LOB-type play.

His frame is a bit smaller, but it seems as if he does his best work in the box.

Pretty much how I roll too!! :lol:

toffee

Reaction score
Could one say that Blair needs to gain a more muscle for SS, or gain a bit more speed for FS?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This player looks to be a slobberknocker, bringing the nasty back to the Seahawks defensive backfield. Except for his weight every other numbers looks just fine for the team to be able to coach this player up to be a defensive intimidator.

Like the pick!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I recall a Seahawks safety with narrow hips and hard hitting attitude from many moons ao and he did pretty well. Hopefully this guy is closer to that safety than he is to Winston Guy.

I think Blair and Metcalf are our biggest boom or bust prospects. Really high ceilings but also low floors if injuries start to be a concern.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I’m not calling this guy a bust. I’m just saying we had high hopes on 2 safeties we drafted 2 years ago and we drafted two more this year.

What does that say to you?

To me, it says the coaching staff isn’t quite sold on either Thompson or Hill so we’re reloading this position again. Just hope this works out.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1y2dszrm said:
I’m not calling this guy a bust. I’m just saying we had high hopes on 2 safeties we drafted 2 years ago and we drafted two more this year.

What does that say to you?

To me, it says the coaching staff isn’t quite sold on either Thompson or Hill so we’re reloading this position again. Just hope this works out.

It says 4th round picks don’t always turn out. We are still batting above the 10% norm of finding starters after round 2. That says we are good at evaluating DBs.