Pick #45, 2nd Round: WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

Reaction score
After the initial disappointment (really wanted Latimer) I'm coming round to this pick. Looks like he was a team captain and seems to have a knack for getting separation. Then you think - two complete speedsters on the team with him and Percy, should be quite exciting.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, resigining Rice to 1yr deal probably should have been the writing on the wall for drafting a large receiver early (especially considering we're throwing Chris Matthews in as well).

Does anyone else find it really comforting how Doug Baldwin called the pick, saying Richardson was the most dangerous receiver? I don't know why - Doug's only a player at the end of the day, not a GM - but I find that comment has me the most excited by this pick. Still - please bulk up Paul, don't want to have the most talented WR corps all being injury risks.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawks made hay with Jermaine Kearse last year as their deep threat. Percy with speed underneath to suck defenders in, this guy with speed over the top to make them pay and maybe even get separation.

If a tall guy with skillz was around and an obvious pick that would have been neato. This pick makes our offense more dangerous in a different way. I'm kind of excited to see a guy touted for route-running who also has speed.

And come on James Carpenter is the biggest head scratcher in JS's tenure by far.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Oh no....seriously. Paul Richardson? They could have got this guy in the 4th round. What a waste of a pick. This guy makes Harvin look buff. Dude better get bigger or he's going to get smashed at LOS. Not thrilled with this pick at all. What are you thinking PC/JS?

I just want to point out that Harvin is probably the strongest WR on the roster, he's stronger then Tate, Kearse, Rice, Baldwin, and Lockette (but I'm not entirely sure on RL though).

Percy Harvin is a tank.

On Paul Richardson, I like this move... imo this is a chess piece directed at the Cardinals as well as the Defensive Line in the NFC West. The Seahawks couldn't beat the Cardinals over the top, no matter how many times they tried in the Home loss. Percy Harvin is better served as a swiss army knife in the short to intermediate passing game.

This is a good pick... speed, speed, speed... or in this case elite separation... is the logical term...against blitz happy teams Richardson might eventually be Russell's Guardian Angel.

I really want ASJ but I'm not going to question the Front Office of the Superbowl Champions , Seattle Seahawks in a negative matter, no they aren't always right but they run this show not us.

Also, this is some quality leverage against Harvin to renegotiate after this year or next plus possibly brings Baldwins asking price down just a tad.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Gets separation and wins over the top. The fact is that we did not have an "over-the-top" receiver before this. Sidney Rice was arguably the only guy who fit that mold. Percy has never historically taken the top off defenses. That's not Baldwin's game, and that's not Kearse's game either. We're too easy to defend without that kind of threat, which Arizona and St. Louis have already shown the world.

This pick makes a lot of sense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
In the locked thread, hawkfan68 wrote:

Oh no....seriously. Paul Richardson? They could have got this guy in the 4th round. What a waste of a pick. This guy makes Harvin look buff. Dude better get bigger or he's going to get smashed at LOS. Not thrilled with this pick at all. What are you thinking PC/JS?

I just want to point out that Harvin is probably the strongest WR on the roster, he's stronger then Tate, Kearse, Rice, Baldwin, and Lockette (but I'm not entirely sure on RL though).

Percy Harvin is a tank.

On Paul Richardson, I like this move... imo this is a chess piece directed at the Cardinals as well as the Defensive Line in the NFC West. The Seahawks couldn't beat the Cardinals over the top, no matter how many times they tried in the Home loss. Percy Harvin is better served as a swiss army knife in the short to intermediate passing game.

This is a good pick... speed, speed, speed... or in this case elite separation... is the logical term...against blitz happy teams Richardson might eventually be Russell's Guardian Angel.

I really want ASJ but I'm not going to question the Front Office of the Superbowl Champions , Seattle Seahawks in a negative matter, no they aren't always right but they run this show not us.

Also, this is some quality leverage against Harvin to renegotiate after this year or next plus possibly brings Baldwins asking price down just a tad.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Steve2222":1hr2xpxg said:
I wonder who is more excited about this pick? Russ or Percy.
The answer would be Russ.

This is the guy who will replace Harvin if/when he gets injured again.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I love it.... but Kearly thought he was the 20th best WR in the draft so I sig it.

Reaction score
Just to expand on my rapidly merging opinions on this pick...

Like: Team captain, SPEED, separation, fuidity

Concerns: Slight build, doesn't return punts, small hands, injury history

Key point: His separation is a strength and is something our WRs tend to lack, this should be a boon for us in deep and intermediate passes. HOWEVER many of our passes seem to be intended for WR to contest them and come down with them, leaning less on separation and more on fighting for the ball. Whether this was due to playing to our WRs strengths or a settled gameplan remains to be seen, but it could have a real impact on how well Richardson plays for us, particularly as a rookie.

Steve2222

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":hplg9hxg said:
Steve2222":hplg9hxg said:
I wonder who is more excited about this pick? Russ or Percy.
The answer would be Russ.

This is the guy who will replace Harvin if/when he gets injured again.

lol Richardson and Percy are two totally different types of WRs.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think it is a great pick. How many times did RW extend plays last year and have to pull the ball down due to coverage. With the time that RW can buy, this guy will make a fantastic contributor.

I liken him to Doug Baldwin with speed. A guy that will be there for RW but also be able to finish. My cousin in CO sent me a text claiming that we are going to love this kid.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":28cij1rc said:
PC and JS will forget more today about football than I will learn in my lifetime, but I don't get this pick. Really thought we should have got some OL at 40. I like the extra 4th (and 7th) but Richardson is awful slight for the NFL. Harvin, Rice and 170 lb Richardson? Again, I am not professing to be all knowing, but ASJ would have (even) been smarter, IMO. Can't wait to be proven wrong on this one.

I'm with you on this one. I mean, I trust the pick although I was under the impression that PC wanted a larger WR to complement our smaller guys.

I just don't get the pick with Koaundijo or however you spell his name still on the board. A few things they could be thinking:

Bailey is the guy at RT and will be better than any 2nd round rookie still on the board.

Richardson isn't larger than the other guys on the roster, but he's much faster. This much speed on the other side of Harvin could be deadly. Also, although Harvin can run the deep stuff, his forte seems to be closer to the los. Richardson could stretch the defense and take the top off, while Harvin does damage underneath.

That kid from the CFL isn't fast, but he's big. Maybe that's the tall WR they want.

They can still go with a taller WR in the 4th round.

It's so tough to really figure out what our FO and coaching staff is thinking, but it seems to work so far. :th2thumbs:

Brutalbubba

Reaction score
Nice pick! We need a deep threat with blazing speed. Richardson at 4.40 in the 40 fills that nicely!

Go Hawks! :)

:49ersmall:

SeatownJay

Reaction score
People, including me, bitched all year that we needed a receiver that can get separation downfield to help Russ. Well, we now have that guy.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
The catch at 2:20 is eerily similar to the one Percy made for us last year.
[urltargetblank]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=960BvWmzlhM#t=141[/urltargetblank]

Good thing is that he is fast on the field, not just in underwear. Too many double catches or drops though; those small hands are worrisome.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Not sure about this pick. Most scouting reports says he is average in terms of catching the ball, not something you want in a 2nd rd NFL pick. Also, he has pretty small hands......not a good trait to have either.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
I guarantee he will have 1500 yards and at least 12 tds... In my new madden franchise

Latest posts