Our "game speed" duo, Bobo and McIntosh

GGotskill

Reaction score
Really don't think this was appropriate at all dude.

It was an honest question. Stokely and JJ are not good comparisons, so what else is the common factor? It's common trope amongst casual fans.

bileever

Reaction score
Even the Minnesota announcers got excited saying his name.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Who do you think he reminds you of? Obviously Staley makes no sense, way different type of player.

I think you mean Stokely? Brandon Staley is a coach.

Stokely is a terrible comparison. Completely different games, body types, etc. JJ is at least closer due to their size, but again much different athletes.

Honestly...there aren't many comps for Bobo mostly because slow WRs don't last long in the NFL. From a body size comp, I think Juwan Johnson is pretty close. Tall & skinny, mediocre athletic profile, but strong hands, good effort. Johnson bulked up 20+ pounds and converted to TE and has found a bit of success there.

As tall as Bobo is, he doesn't really use his size to his advantage, and he really lacks top end speed, so he doesn't bully dbs as much as you would think. He is more of a short area possession receiver with good hands, and was used as a safety blanket underneath a ton at UCLA. From an on the field perspective he reminds me of a poor man's Keenan Allen. Allen is shorter obviously, but had similar knocks on his overall athleticism.
It's not a perfect comparison, but again hard to find guys with his profile in the NFL.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bobo can be a poor man’s Jurevicius
I'm hoping he can be Jake Bobo, Seahawks All-Pro WR. :) Bobo seems like one of those WRs with a super-high football IQ, maybe his ceiling is a taller Julian Edelman.

Loved Jurevicius game when he was here, that 2005 SBXL season, he was terrific. Was sad when he didn't stick around. I suspect Bobo's "4.99" 40 is not really "the truth" about him. Bobo sure looked "fast enough" on that TD catch, got separation. UCLA lists him as 4.55, which may be inflated, while one scout personally timed his run at 4.67. So eye test and other data points, suggest Bobo is really a 4.6/4.7 guy, not 4.99.

Reminds me of that time Ahmad Rashad showed evidence on a pregame show to "prove" that "slow" Steve Largent was faster than Denver's fastest DB, I think CB Louis Wright, one of the NFL's fastest men. Rashad put up a still image showing Largent 10 yards ahead of the Denver DB, irrefutably "proving" that Largent was faster than one of the NFL's fastest men.

Last edited:

GGotskill

Reaction score
I'm hoping he can be Jake Bobo, Seahawks All-Pro WR. :) Bobo seems like one of those WRs with a super-high football IQ, maybe his ceiling is a taller Julian Edelman.

Loved Jurevicius game when he was here, that 2005 SBXL season, he was terrific. Was sad when he didn't stick around. I suspect Bobo's "4.99" 40 is not really "the truth" about him. Bobo sure looked fast enough on that TD catch, got separation. UCLA lists him as 4.55, which may be inflated, while one scout had him at 4.67. So eye test and other data points, suggest Bobo is really a 4.6/4.7 guy, not 4.99.

He was projected to run around a 4.6 during pre draft process, but didn't run at the combine and had a horrendous pro day across the board. There was some speculation that he played at a lighter weight, and was trying to bulk up for the pre draft process which is why he didn't grade out well. He does player faster out there but even going back to his college highlights, he never separates from dbs, and never really took the top off a defense which says something considering his height, catching radius, and hand strength. He *should* be the type of WR you can just send on go routes and get the ball into his general proximity, but he doesn't play that way.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think you mean Stokely? Brandon Staley is a coach.

Stokely is a terrible comparison. Completely different games, body types, etc. JJ is at least closer due to their size, but again much different athletes.

Honestly...there aren't many comps for Bobo mostly because slow WRs don't last long in the NFL. From a body size comp, I think Juwan Johnson is pretty close. Tall & skinny, mediocre athletic profile, but strong hands, good effort. Johnson bulked up 20+ pounds and converted to TE and has found a bit of success there.

As tall as Bobo is, he doesn't really use his size to his advantage, and he really lacks top end speed, so he doesn't bully dbs as much as you would think. He is more of a short area possession receiver with good hands, and was used as a safety blanket underneath a ton at UCLA. From an on the field perspective he reminds me of a poor man's Keenan Allen. Allen is shorter obviously, but had similar knocks on his overall athleticism.
It's not a perfect comparison, but again hard to find guys with his profile in the NFL.
Some good data points in there, you apparently saw Bobo lots in his UCLA days. Keenan Allen comp... I didn't know Allen was "slow", I just noticed him making lotsa plays for the Chargers the last few years, along with a another very good big WR they have, Mike Williams IIRC. I'm excited to see what he can do with NFL coaching. The Hawks have historically done a good job of developing WRs, and in Lockett, he will certainly have an elite mentor in the mental part of the game. Hoping Bobo makes the team and gets reps at WR.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Some good data points in there, you apparently saw Bobo lots in his UCLA days.

I watched a handful of his games live, and have gone back and watched more since his was signed by the Hawks.

Keenan Allen comp... I didn't know Allen was "slow", I just noticed him making lotsa plays for the Chargers the last few years, along with a another very good big WR they have, Mike Williams IIRC.

Yeah Allen's biggest knock was his top end speed, and that was running a 4.7 around the same weight (granted Allen is shorter than Bobo). Williams is an interesting contrast, similar size, .3 seconds faster -- drafted top 10. Just goes to show you how coveted that size/speed combo is, and why Jake Bobo being undrafted says a lot about him as a prospect.

I'm excited to see what he can do with NFL coaching. The Hawks have historically done a good job of developing WRs, and in Lockett, he will certainly have an elite mentor in the mental part of the game. Hoping Bobo makes the team and gets reps at WR.

If he can be a bit better blocker, he has a chance.

James in PA

Reaction score
Who was the undrafted receiver we had like four or five years ago who still got cut after a great preseason? Fans and even some Seahawks players were bitching about it. Turns out, he went on to do nothing.

I hope Bobo doesn't end up like that guy.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Who was the undrafted receiver we had like four or five years ago who still got cut after a great preseason? Fans and even some Seahawks players were bitching about it. Turns out, he went on to do nothing.

There's always at least one guy that pops during preseason that fans irrationally love. Usually a scrappy RB or tall lanky WR. The last real big hype train I remember was Kasen Williams, had players spouting off on Twitter about him being cut.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Loved Jurevicius game when he was here, that 2005 SBXL season, he was terrific. Was sad when he didn't stick around. I suspect Bobo's "4.99" 40 is not really "the truth" about him. Bobo sure looked "fast enough" on that TD catch, got separation. UCLA lists him as 4.55, which may be inflated, while one scout personally timed his run at 4.67. So eye test and other data points, suggest Bobo is really a 4.6/4.7 guy, not 4.99.

Reminds me of that time Ahmad Rashad showed evidence on a pregame show to "prove" that "slow" Steve Largent was faster than Denver's fastest DB, I think CB Louis Wright, one of the NFL's fastest men. Rashad put up a still image showing Largent 10 yards ahead of the Denver DB, irrefutably "proving" that Largent was faster than one of the NFL's fastest men.
I agree with you, basing on Bobo game films, he didn't look like a 4.99 guy. If his actual 40 time is 4.7 or so, that would be quite adequate for a crafty WR with high football IQ. Jerry Rice was clocked at 4.71 sec, our Largent was 4.7? On that note, DK is a 4.37 guy, when was the last time he ran away from guy? The one time his speed was in full display was the chasing down of Cardinal's CB after that INT.

GGotskill

Reaction score
Jerry Rice was clocked at 4.71 sec, our Largent was 4.7?

That's pretty widely considered inaccurate, on Rice. He was closer to 4.4-4.5 speed.

Largent was a true mind over matter player, only a handful like him in the history of the league.

On that note, DK is a 4.37 guy, when was the last time he ran away from guy?

Pretty much every deep route he has ever run?

The one time his speed was in full display was the chasing down of Cardinal's CB after that INT.

Selective memory apparently.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bobo stepped on the line as well, just barely. Could see it on the replay.
I was pretty sure Bobo's play was clean, but the second guy got one toe on the line by a couple inches. If so, must have been one of those one-centimeter-over jobbies that would take a couple reviews to get confirmation. I'll take your word for it; don't care enough to search for a replay. If you have a link for a replay, I'd sure take another look.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
What Chip Kelly said about Bobo may help to understand this kid a little bit:
When you look at Jake, he is 6-foot-5 and 215-pounds. I watch Duke a lot. (Ex-Duke head coach) David Cutcliffe is a good friend, so I watch them play. They played a Thursday night game against Louisville (last season), and everybody in the stadium and on TV knew they were going to throw to Bobo, and he still led the game in catches." Bobo recorded nine receptions for 102 yards against the Cardinals.

"He can make the contested catches really well," Kelly said. "He has a great understanding of how to set defensive backs up with his routes, and he's got outspending hands and toughness. We were really excited when we could add him as one of our transfer kids."

So a few thing we can learn here, Bobo was 215 lbs at Duke, he was 206 lbs at combine. Chip observed that Bobo can make contested catches, and he did that with setting up DBs with routes, not by his athleticism. BUT, Bob has good hands. I suspect Bobo doesn't drop a lot of balls.

GGotskill

Reaction score
What Chip Kelly said about Bobo may help to understand this kid a little bit:

So a few thing we can learn here, Bobo was 215 lbs at Duke, he was 206 lbs at combine. Chip observed that Bobo can make contested catches, and he did that with setting up DBs with routes, not by his athleticism. BUT, Bob has good hands. I suspect Bobo doesn't drop a lot of balls.

Yeah, he has really good hands which is why they used him as a possession receiver so much. 9 receptions for 102 yards is a good indicator on how he was being used.

As for the 215 comment, doubtful. He might have weighed 215 at some point, but he most likely was under/right at 200 lbs on game days. Dude was skinny in college, and has clearly bulked up (not cut weight).

bileever

Reaction score

Are you thinking of Tanner McEvoy? He was a big receiver who made the team back in something like 2016 and had a couple of good games, but then disappeared. I think he wore the same number, 19.