Our Defense

keasley45

Reaction score
The beautiful thing about this season is that the team is once again playing as a TEAM - O, D, & ST, as well as within each respective unit.

But what's also remarkable to see is how our stars are emerging in a way earily similar to Pete's early years.

Brooks, who's selection in the draft was bemoaned by many was the league leader in tackles after Monday night ( he's second now after the TNF game but will no doubt regain the lead). And the guy many wanted instead, P Queen, has just had his snap count reduced in the Ravens D with the trade for R Smith. But Brooks play shouldn't be a surprise because he showed as much last year. His coverage skills have improved as well.

Nwosu - again, thought by many to be a JAG pickup is 7th in the league in sacks and tops in pressures.

Mafe - has done nothing but impress in the playing time he's been given while an underperforming (but stud in his own right... when he's 'right') D Taylor gets his body and game on track.

T Woolen - IMO, defensive rookie of the year. He's far outolaying S Gardner but it seems the powers that be who want to be right for predicting his high selection, seem intent on forcing Gardener into the #1 spot despite the fact that he trails Woolen in most statistical categories. Hopefully Woolen sees it as the slight that it is and takes his game up a notch yet again.

Bryant - the guy is improving week over week and has now had 2 ints taken from his stat sheet via penalties by others on the D. He's just a gamer with a nose for the ball and a knack for making a play.

Q Diggs - has solidified his position as D Captain and is playing solid ball as usual, getting an inexperienced R Neal the confidence to play freely and instinctively. He and Diggs make for a great pair.

R Neal - the guy is just a baller. He's where he's supposed to be seemingly every play. His instincts and IQ make up for the fact that he isn't blessed with the physical traits that might otherwise set him apart.

M Jackson - admittedly the guy is a bit more of a roll of the dice when it comes to consistency, but when he's on, he's a lightning rod for the D. It will be interesting to see how long he holds his spot over the guy that's just about ready to come back - last years rookie defensive sensation, T Brown, who over his brief stint as a starter, led the league in a few stats for all CBs, not just rookie players.

Woods, Harris, Jefferson and Ford. They sound like former US presidents and their play of late fits the bill. They've been outstanding since being allowed to play more aggressively rather than stalemate o lineman in a traditional 3-4 manner. Just as it was in 2012 with Big Red and B Mebane, the big dogs up front are unlocking plays for everyone behind them.

All of this, with Tre Brown and D Taylor waiting to join the fray.

And all of that when just a few weeks ago there was a thread posted asking whether if we blew the D up, if there was anyone worth keeping.

Yes. Apparently there are quite a few.

And they're just getting started.

Mick063

Reaction score
Nwosu is a freakin godsend. Best free agent signing since Cliff Avril. You win Super Bowls with beasts like him coming off the edge. Not much blitzing required. Drop more folks into coverage. Make the reads tougher on the opposing QB. Force them to throw under duress, sooner then they like, preferably off their back foot. It all equals more interceptions. Truth. Look at all of those Seahawk takeaways as exhibit A.

One elite pass rusher makes ALL the difference in the world. It is the single greatest counter to the likes of Mahomes and Allen. What is the second greatest counter? Time of possession. Ball control. Four-minute offense to deny the miracle comeback. Seattle's 13 personnel is fully, comfortably incorporated into the offense before winter. Intended to keep those opposing GOATS off of the field. Pete has a plan.

Seattle has both counter measures in spades. PETE-Ball is DESIGNED to take on the Ferrari offenses. Remember Denver's "historic" offense? Yea, Pete-Ball destroyed it in the championship game. It can happen it again.

Last edited:

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm already drooling over the fact Brady tends not to scramble much. -5 yards rushing on the year so far. He's going to be plenty flustered by our D tomorrow.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm already drooling over the fact Brady tends not to scramble much. -5 yards rushing on the year so far. He's going to be plenty flustered by our D tomorrow.

Yup. I only hope the refs don't let them mug our guys so that Brady can get the time he needs to do his thing

94Smith

Reaction score
Bradys success is predicated on his quick release and superior reading of the field

toffee

Reaction score
The good thing is this defense may not have reach the ceiling yet, it could be quite scary when it does. Next year, with Jamal back and new FA/rookie DL and LB signing, Pete will finally have another #1 defense again. That said, we are the #1 defense in the past 3-4 games.

Go Hawks.

GemCity

Reaction score
If Woolen keeps it up, they’ll have no choice but to crown him Rookie DPoY

Ozzy

Reaction score
Early in the year I thought this was going to be a horrible year on that side of the ball. I'm shocked at how they've come together. I think Hurt is doing an incredible job.

toffee

Reaction score
Early in the year I thought this was going to be a horrible year on that side of the ball. I'm shocked at how they've come together. I think Hurt is doing an incredible job.
And the "fire Pete" threads are less frequent.

Ozzy

Reaction score
And the "fire Pete" threads are less frequent.
Yeah Pete deserves credit. I wrote this in another thread but I think Pete self evaluated and realized he needs a fresh look at things so he brought in Desai and allowed CLint to put his spin on it as well and Pete is focusing on the stuff he still does at a level no one else does. I thought he was too stubborn to do it and I was wrong so good on Pete.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yeah Pete deserves credit. I wrote this in another thread but I think Pete self evaluated and realized he needs a fresh look at things so he brought in Desai and allowed CLint to put his spin on it as well and Pete is focusing on the stuff he still does at a level no one else does. I thought he was too stubborn to do it and I was wrong so good on Pete.
I think Pete has taken a step back at every level this year. He was notorious as a micro manager in the past, having to be intimately involved in everything. It seems this season that he's been delegating more and focusing on the core aspects of coaching/program management. I think since he is 70, this'll be crucial to his longevity.

I never thought he'd do it but he is doing it right now.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I think Pete has taken a step back at every level this year. He was notorious as a micro manager in the past, having to be intimately involved in everything. It seems this season that he's been delegating more and focusing on the core aspects of coaching/program management. I think since he is 70, this'll be crucial to his longevity.

I think opposite. He always let's his coaches coach and steps in when things go awry and rights the ship

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

All coaches are micromanagers look at Bill Walsh. Carroll is a total mircromanager thats why he is successfull but the difference is he allows people to be who they are. With out a doubt he is involved in Everything he just allows his staff to create.