Our "game speed" duo, Bobo and McIntosh

bileever

Reaction score
Just to add to the Bobo mania, Bob Condotta wrote a piece on Jake Bobo in the Times today:

Because it's probably behind a paywall, I'll repeat some of the more interesting quotes here. Drew Lock says that Bobo is a favorite in the locker room, and that players like to say "more Bobo" and "Get Bobo the ball!" Geno says Bobo has "confidence and swag." When asked why Geno likes him, Bobo said he thinks it has to do with his white socks, lol.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Just to add to the Bobo mania, Bob Condotta wrote a piece on Jake Bobo in the Times today:

Because it's probably behind a paywall, I'll repeat some of the more interesting quotes here. Drew Lock says that Bobo is a favorite in the locker room, and that players like to say "more Bobo" and "Get Bobo the ball!" Geno says Bobo has "confidence and swag." When asked why Geno likes him, Bobo said he thinks it has to do with his white socks, lol.
Luckily, this was one of the articles I was able to read without signing up. If he keeps this up, and I believe he will, he's making the team. Flashes on offense? Check. Flashes on ST? Check. Well-liked in the locker room? Check. The more guys like that you have on your team, the better.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The "slow" thing is why he was an UDFA. Now, that said, that doesn't mean he can't make it...but he would literally be the slowest WR in the league by quite a bit.

He will have to bring something else to the table. That's the good part, Bobo obviously has some good hands. But pretty much every other area of his game will need to take a big jump to make a real impact.
Bull$#*t ^

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Bobo is either naturally goofy or has good people skill as high lighted by his "Geno likes him because if his white socks" remark.

As for speed, his 4.99 tune was all time slow fir a WR, on unheard if level. He is almost 0.25-0.3 seconds slower than the HOF slow WR duo of Jerry Rice (4.71) and Largent (4.7?).

I would be very intrigued for Bobo to take a S2 test, I suspect he would do well because in most Bobo tapes, he diagnosed his play situation well. Indicating that he surveys the field, made adjustments better than the opposing DB.

Getting back to his 4.99, how much time is 0.25 second? Human blinks our eyes at 0.1-0.4 seconds per blink, let's say medium is 0.25 seconds. Lol, he is one blink away from Rice and Largent. If Bobo makes it into HOF, rofl, these three can form a 4.7+ second club.

NoGain

Reaction score
I saw Bobo play in college a bunch. He just knows what to do, how to be effective. That's oftentimes a hard thing to teach someone. He's the kind of guy you want on your football team, even if you can't quite find the normal justifications for it.

GGotskill

Reaction score
As for speed, his 4.99 tune was all time slow fir a WR, on unheard if level. He is almost 0.25-0.3 seconds slower than the HOF slow WR duo of Jerry Rice (4.71) and Largent (4.7?).

It's a somewhat myth that Rice ran a 4.71, as stated earlier in the thread.

Getting back to his 4.99, how much time is 0.25 second? Human blinks our eyes at 0.1-0.4 seconds per blink, let's say medium is 0.25 seconds. Lol, he is one blink away from Rice and Largent. If Bobo makes it into HOF, rofl, these three can form a 4.7+ second club.

He literally would be the slowest WR in the league, and the slowest one drafted (as a WR) as far back as I can find. It's the difference between being drafted in the 2nd/3rd round (possibly higher) and going undrafted.

Now the bigger question, can he overcome that lack of speed and make a difference for the team? The odds aren't zero.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
When it comes to track speed, Jake Bobo's 4.99 sec, and McIntosh's 4.62 sec were slowest in our WR and RB corp.? but they didn't look slow in their highlights, perhaps both have good game speed and high football IQ?

I am very intrigued by these two rookies, hoping that they both make the team. Do you think they could make the cut?
There have been a few great WR that didn’t have blazing speed. Yes, top end speed is great for YAC, but a possession WR needs football IQ to get open. Think Fitzgerald, Bolden, Rice as a few who didn’t run sub 4.6

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's a somewhat myth that Rice ran a 4.71, as stated earlier in the thread.

He literally would be the slowest WR in the league, and the slowest one drafted (as a WR) as far back as I can find. It's the difference between being drafted in the 2nd/3rd round (possibly higher) and going undrafted.

Now the bigger question, can he overcome that lack of speed and make a difference for the team? The odds aren't zero.

I don't think it's a myth that Rice and Largent were never considered speed guys. The big thing is, those guys got open and rarely if ever got caught from behind.

Some of the best Seahawks WR in team history were not speed guys. Largent, Blades, Engram, Baldwin. Great hands, playing fast, crisp routes. That's what separates most great receivers. Sure it's great to have the occasional speed guy like DK or Galloway, but I'd still take the savvy hands guys over them. I'm seeing great savvy from Bobo so far.

And FWIW Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 and he shreds defences regularly.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bolden ran a 4.71 fwiw. I do wonder what Bobo could have ran at Indy if given a chance. I’m guessing he’s more of a 4.8 guy, if rumor of a bad surface for his 40 time are true

Last edited:

GGotskill

Reaction score
I don't think it's a myth that Rice and Largent were never considered speed guys. The big thing is, those guys got open and rarely if ever got caught from behind.

Didn't say anything about Largent, but yes, Rice was closer to 4.4-4.5. Posted a link further up the thread.

Some of the best Seahawks WR in team history were not speed guys. Largent (4.7), Blades (4.48), Engram, Baldwin (4.48). Great hands, playing fast, crisp routes. That's what separates most great receivers. Sure it's great to have the occasional speed guy like DK or Galloway, but I'd still take the savvy hands guys over them. I'm seeing great savvy from Bobo so far.

Every single one of those guys are much faster than Bobo, by any metric. Can't find a time for Engram, but guaranteed it's faster than 4.99.

And FWIW Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 and he shreds defences regularly.

Yes, it's been pointed out that if Bobo ran 4.7 ot below, he probably would have been at least a day 2 pick.

I don't think people understand how much of an outlier 4.99 40 time is for a WR. I cannot find a WR that ran a slower 40 time...ever (since the modern era of the NFL combine).

Boohman14

Reaction score
Bobo speed = Rich Eisen speed? I think he's faster than his combine times.

A few years ago I met Lester Hayes and had a nice long conversation with him at a charity event. He talked a lot about Largent. He said Largent kept him up at night. He said all the people saying Largent was slow were idiots. He pointed out that Largent made his living beating double coverages and always getting past the defender in routs. He said Largent had the ability to accelerate in his routes on cuts and on posts. His speed was deceptive.

Smellyman

Reaction score

UCLA Pro Day: Jake Bobo

Jake Bobo had a pretty good pro day starting off with a 40-yard dash like the rest of the players. I personally clocked him at an unofficial 4.67, which would seem about right for him. The biggest concern for him coming into the draft is his speed, so if he can work on improving that aspect of his game it’ll improve his stock. He showed off his great catch radius on the throwing drills catching nearly every pass thrown his way. Even when DTR didn’t throw him a perfect ball, he was able to reach for it to make the catch.

LINK
Should be noted he ran the 40 in the rain

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

UCLA Pro Day: Jake Bobo

Jake Bobo had a pretty good pro day starting off with a 40-yard dash like the rest of the players. I personally clocked him at an unofficial 4.67, which would seem about right for him. The biggest concern for him coming into the draft is his speed, so if he can work on improving that aspect of his game it’ll improve his stock. He showed off his great catch radius on the throwing drills catching nearly every pass thrown his way. Even when DTR didn’t throw him a perfect ball, he was able to reach for it to make the catch.

LINK
Should be noted he ran the 40 in the rain
4.67 or around 4.6 - 4.7 would be more inline with his highlight films, he didn't look fast on those films, but certainly didn't not slow or 4.99 slow. If he were a 4.99 WR, his 40 speed would be slower than our tackles, Cross was 4.95 and Lucas was 4.92, but Bobo looked faster than those two giants.

GGotskill

Reaction score
4.67 or around 4.6 - 4.7 would be more inline with his highlight films, he didn't look fast on those films, but certainly didn't not slow or 4.99 slow. If he were a 4.99 WR, his 40 speed would be slower than our tackles, Cross was 4.95 and Lucas was 4.92, but Bobo looked faster than those two giants.

This is one observation, unofficially timed. Not sure how much weight I would put on that considering the rest of his timed drills were also very slow.

Latest posts