Our Defense

cymatica

Reaction score
I think Pete has taken a step back at every level this year. He was notorious as a micro manager in the past, having to be intimately involved in everything. It seems this season that he's been delegating more and focusing on the core aspects of coaching/program management. I think since he is 70, this'll be crucial to his longevity.

I never thought he'd do it but he is doing it right now.
Highly doubt that. I think he has better coaches surrounding him which makes a difference.

Polk738

Reaction score
Woods, Harris, Jefferson and Ford. They sound like former US presidents and their play of late fits the bill. They've been outstanding since being allowed to play more aggressively rather than stalemate o lineman in a traditional 3-4 manner. Just as it was in 2012 with Big Red and B Mebane, the big dogs up front are unlocking plays for everyone behind them.

I think that is a GREAT nickname for the D-line..."The presidents" somebody should get that to Raible for Sunday

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think opposite. He always let's his coaches coach and steps in when things go awry and rights the ship
You're exactly right, IF the team does bad, Pete gets the blame for micromanaging, if the team kicks ass, it's because Pete is standing back & doing nothing LOLOLOL
SMH-> You can't make this sh*t up.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I think Pete has taken a step back at every level this year. He was notorious as a micro manager in the past, having to be intimately involved in everything. It seems this season that he's been delegating more and focusing on the core aspects of coaching/program management. I think since he is 70, this'll be crucial to his longevity.

I believe Pete's reputation was that of a micro manager, but that was a reputation spread by the keyboard quarterbacks and an ignorant press. A reputation undeserved. Once someone makes an unfounded claim, it is picked up and spread by the masses as a fact.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks defense allows 31 points in road games this season. Playing Tampa in Munich is not exactly a normal road game, but what do you expect from the defense?

cymatica

Reaction score
Seahawks defense allows 31 points in road games this season. Playing Tampa in Munich is not exactly a normal road game, but what do you expect from the defense?
17.5 points on the road since the defense turned the corner. Pick 6 in AZ and a safety in LA were not on the defense. Stats in a vacuum mean nothing

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's not surprising to see Pete's detractors suggest that he has taken a smaller role. That's the way to reconcile how this season has unfolded with Pete being a negative influence on the team.

This season also provides an opportunity to revisit that belief, however. If Pete has been a positive force on this team over the years then our success this season doesn't require any special leaps in logic other than Pete simply continuing to do what he does every year.

OP
OP
keasley45

keasley45

Reaction score

Mocromanaging is antithetical to Pete's own philosophy. His leadership style is predicated on empowering others to lead - providing the philosophy... the general framework for how things should be done, and then letting his guys ( whether players or coaches) find themselves in the system.

His flaw in the past was allowing too much freedom and grace to fail in that system, without drawing the hard line and demanding accountability.
Tre Flowers. Ken Norton. Russel Wilson. All people he invested time in. All people he wanted desperately to succeed... all people to whom he gave too much control without demanding better performance.

Someone said it - the difference now is that he has the right people in place. Now there's no harm in letting the guys he has be them and enjoy the freedom to make their respective roles theirs. Whether players, the qb, or coordinator. He simply picked the right people and finally made the decision to let go of those who weren't performing.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
It's not surprising to see Pete's detractors suggest that he has taken a smaller role. That's the way to reconcile how this season has unfolded with Pete being a negative influence on the team.

This season also provides an opportunity to revisit that belief, however. If Pete has been a positive force on this team over the years then our success this season doesn't require any special leaps in logic other than Pete simply continuing to do what he does every year.
I think it is absolutely hilarious for someone to even hint that Pete took a step back and that's why the defense plays better. This man put together the best Defense (IMO) this league has ever seen.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
17.5 points on the road since the defense turned the corner. Pick 6 in AZ and a safety in LA were not on the defense. Stats in a vacuum mean nothing
Good points. So what are you expecting from the defense against the Bucs?