Current state of our Wide Receivers

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Oh God, here come the nicknames. Mr. Gimmie the Ball? Corny AF
I swear, some of you work way too hard to make DK the team Cancer. But do you.........
DK is far from a team cancer in my book, as an alum, I love me some DK!! I do see him as a frustrated young man, he has always been the one with the best tools, but never the best results, despite all the hard work in training and learning. I would be super frustrated too, if I were him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's very frustrating, no doubt. Just ball out and stop with the extra stuff. He cares a hell of a lot more than people think.
Does he drive me crazy sometimes? Absolutely. But he's a hell of a football player and I suspect his teammates would laugh at some of the takes on the guy.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This. This. This.

Nailed it. Get some value while it's there. Not 2 years after the fact. We got younger. We got hungrier at the positions.

Don't get me wrong. JSN and Bobo are not eating anyone's lunch just quite yet. But I gotta say - yesterday was a breath of fresh air in many respects. Remember 16? "Amazing what we can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit.". Indeed.

Amazing how many touches/attempts the rest of the WR room gets when Mr. Gimmie The Ball is out for a game.

What I'm HOPING came from yesterday at minimum: An increased comfort level between Geno and JSN/Bobo. Even moderately. He said it himself "I need to find you". And yesterday he had some chances. At least they got some reps and some time.

It was nice. If we're positioned well in the offseason, and the young dudes have seasoned and gelled and stat'ed the appropriate amount - I have no problem with trading both 14 and/or 16 at the end of the season if it helps structurally, with the draft, with the QB of the future picks - etc. If it makes SENSE. I'm not saying just flush twice here at all.

That seems to be a less un-popular statement than it used to be. Get value where we can. Lose entitlement and non-competition where we can. 16's got one foot out the door anyhow. Nice performance yesterday tho.

I'm shutting up now. ;) I see a laughing emjoi being applied to this message soon ;)
Called it!!!!

Ya, but I'm not the only one talking about this, and for the same reasons:

so there ya go.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Give me the player who has passion and some fire over a wallflower every day. Even if he is a bit of a hot head. He backs it up on the field.

DK cares, and perhaps he doesn't channel it in the best ways, but we are also talking about 9 personal fouls in 4.25 seasons; one if which was an excessive celebration, and he's drawn a handful of flags too.

But production wise? Come on, we're talking about a 25 year old who has had a historically great start to his career. DK Metcalf, Randy Moss, AJ Green, Joey Galloway, and Michael Thomas - the only players to have at least 50 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs in each of their first four seasons.

Learn from what the Titans just did in going from AJ Brown to Treylon Burks. They got cheaper and younger at WR - way to go Titans, congrats I guess.

DK is a true WR1. On the all-22 look at how far towards DK the safety on that side of the field is - that makes the box lighter and opens things up for everyone else.

With DK, we're talking about the only guy who seemed to show up with any passion or want-to during the playoffs recently.

2019 playoffs (2 games): 11 rec, 219 yards, 19.9 yards per catch, 1 TD
2020 playoffs (1 game): 5 rec, 96 yards, 19.2 yards per catch, 2 TDS
2022 playoffs (1 game): 10 rec /136 yards /13.6 per catch /2 TDs

^^^
Look at the production in the biggest games. You don't send that packing at the age of 25.

Chawker

Reaction score
Well, I for one, am not displeased with our currant corps of WRs. I thought the Seahawks did draft this currant group with a half heartly way, another words it wasn't as high on there priority list as it should of been.

I alway thought Lockett was best suited for the slot, Dk is good out wide. Bobo's big knock is speed, but catches the ball well.

I'd still like to see us draft a WR like Odunze, the whole package guy.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Looking around the league this year — not just the Seahawks— almost every team has lost starters on their offensive line. It has become a serious problem. We have good starters and depth at WR. But it doesn’t matter if your OL isn’t blocking well enough for QB to get the ball out. I want an offensive line with solid depth all across so that, for example, when Lucas went down, “next man up” can step in and actually do the job.

NoGain

Reaction score
Realistically, we're not trading any of our WR's this trade deadline. Our offense is stacked, and if our O-line can get healthy, it's all on Geno. Just play smart and we're in the playoffs as a decent seed.

sutz

Reaction score
Looking around the league this year — not just the Seahawks— almost every team has lost starters on their offensive line. It has become a serious problem. We have good starters and depth at WR. But it doesn’t matter if your OL isn’t blocking well enough for QB to get the ball out. I want an offensive line with solid depth all across so that, for example, when Lucas went down, “next man up” can step in and actually do the job.
Yeah, a couple of places we were down to the 3rd level on the OL. Nobody has that kind of depth. We'd have to carry 12 guys to sustain it. 🤷‍♂️

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love me some Bobo, damn good player. And soon to be lifted to Largent status in the next few weeks. It does happen. What an incredible pick up by John and Pete.
Their success w/undrafted guys is next level. And it's just easy to pull for a guy like that, who was passed up by every team in the league. Could it be time to slow the roll a little on crowning him a HOF? Of course. But this kid is going to be a hell of a player, imo.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
It's still early on Bobo. There aren't any CBs that study film on a slow, UDFA WR that has only played a dozen snaps in the NFL. Up until last week, he was relatively unknown. Bobo has been practicing against top end CBs but hasn't had to play across from anyone that has studied his tendencies and weaknesses. I think he'll be a great asset, but until he can beat #1CBs when DCs gameplan around him as a chess piece (not just a surprise sub) no one knows for sure what he is. It'll be fun to watch him grow as this happens.

DK is what he is. Pete notoriously sticks by his guys longer than he should. Of course, a trade completely depends on compensation and cap/dead money, and that's difficult with his new contract. JS won't push a trade even if they should because Pete's overly loyal, and I'm not saying they should at this point. If DK gets traded, the attitude problems are a lot worse than any of us on the outside realize. Pete's been looking for a DK-type receiver for 10 years so he'll be very apprehensive to give it up. I think it's too early for Pete to pull the plug with Bobo still brand new. I interpret the recent chatter about DK as "should he be traded" not "will he be traded" because we realistically know the answer to the latter.

Pete loves Lockett (as we all do) and he's not getting traded. It's no more likely than Pete trading himself.

Next off-season there will be some WR changes but those changes will depend on a lot of things between now and then including scouting and maybe even rookie camp and pre-season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's natural for a rook to get hero status, esp. an undrafted guy.
Then again, some people actually believing that he's better than DK? That's next level laughable.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It's natural for a rook to get hero status, esp. an undrafted guy.
Then again, some people actually believing that he's better than DK? That's next level laughable.
l don’t think there is anyone here saying that Bobo is better than DK. I will say that there are aspects of his game that are more refined though. Doesn’t make him a better player, it does make him better suited for certain tasks however.

For example, I’d trust Bobo to high point a contested catch and box out the opposing defender over DK.