Current state of our Wide Receivers

toffee

Reaction score
After 6 games, some surprise rating on our WRs, according to subjective opinions of PFF:
  1. On offense rating, our top ranked WR is Bobo, #14, Lockett #37, Metcalf is #38, JSN #116.
  2. On Receiving rating, Bobo #23, Metcalf #24 , Lockett #38, JSN #118
  3. On drops, Bobo #42, Metcalf #123, Lockett #41, JSN #161.
  4. On recv %, Bobo #23, Metcalf #51, Lockett #66, JSN #73
  5. On YAC/r, Bobo #123, Metcalf #87, Lockett #128, JSN 39
  6. On Yards/c, Bobo #42 (14 yards), Metcalf #31 (15.3), Lockett #95 (10.7), JSN #121 (8.7)
A few thoughts:
  1. Both DK and JSN need to clean up their drops.
  2. JSN is our best YAC guy.
  3. Bobo may be our best possession WR.
  4. Their may be stuff to be worked out between Geno and JSN, because JSN's college recv % in 2021 was 83.3%, but only 66.7% with Geno. For comparison, 83.3% would be elite in NFL.
  5. It seems like Geno has been feeding short throws to JSN, which may be the wrong strategy.
  6. Bobo's 4.99 sec speed so far hasn't prevented him from getting decent yards/catch, ie he is catching long balls.
Furthermore, Bobo is #2 amongst rookie receivers, second only to Puca Nacua.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
JSN was making a killing running intermediate routes at OSU.

Not surprised he still runs them heavily with Seattle.

JSN, isn’t known as a deep threat so he doesn’t get called for vertical routes as much.

I actually think the deep threat should be Bobo, but, since Bobo, doesn’t have “speed” many may say he’s not a deep threat, but, the way Bobo attacks the ball in the air actually has alot of value for a 6’ 4” guy as DK for being the physical specimen as he is, and all the highlight warm up rebound catches he does, does not high point catch in games for whatever reason.

Seattle can still look to add to their receiving corps if Lockett will call it quits in the next few years.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they added another high pick receiver this upcoming draft…(cough Rome Odunze) lol

sutz

Reaction score
An Odunze pick in Rd 1 or 2 would surprise me, but it would be a pleasant surprise. He's showcasing talents that should transfer well into the pro game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The numbers are interesting, but with Bobo, I think the amount of passes makes this number a bit easier to skew so high. I'm not trying to say he's not done a great job for us, because he has, and I love having him out there. I just don't believe he has, as of yet earned the right to be called our best possession receiver. Locket has that title currently and until Bobo gets a lot more reps under his belt, it's still Lockett's to lose.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The numbers are interesting, but with Bobo, I think the amount of passes makes this number a bit easier to skew so high. I'm not trying to say he's not done a great job for us, because he has, and I love having him out there. I just don't believe he has, as of yet earned the right to be called our best possession receiver. Locket has that title currently and until Bobo gets a lot more reps under his belt, it's still Lockett's to lose.
I totally agree,

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As of tomorrow it is likely that Eskridge will be returned to the team from his suspension, the interesting question will be how long he'll be kept after that return. If they can deal him for late round pick to another team I suspect they will.

Frankly I don't see a spot for him here anymore. His unreliability to show up by reason of one injury after another and the suspension for domestic violence may be the reason why the team moves on from him. He was an early pick that sadly just never panned out.

Trade Lockett? That will never happen. As well I believe it also extremely unlikely that Metcalf will be traded either.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
As of tomorrow it is likely that Eskridge will be returned to the team from his suspension, the interesting question will be how long he'll be kept after that return. If they can deal him for late round pick to another team I suspect they will.

Frankly I don't see a spot for him here anymore. His unreliability to show up by reason of one injury after another and the suspension for domestic violence may be the reason why the team moves on from him. He was an early pick that sadly just never panned out.

Trade Lockett? That will never happen. As well I believe it also extremely unlikely that Metcalf will be traded either.
I respectfully disagree on Lockett, his trade value is inline with his on field contribution, both are in decline. He still have some trade value now, but not much in a year or two. In fact, Lockett would agree with me as he is actively pathing his post football career, ie realtor or real estate.

I am with Bill Walsh on trading aging stars, from his book, he preached trading aging stars a year or two too early than a year or two too late. We got GOOD value for Wilson, trading him a year or two earlier than what most 12s wanted. Pete spent private time with Bill, and he learned.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd see Lockett retiring instead of accepting a trade. He's presently the team's most reliable WR.

I'm OK with disagreeing on this and do see your position as having some cap/trade value validity.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I would trade anybody for the right amount of draft picks in return, but having offensive weapons is extremely important in today's NFL and we'd be selling low. I'm more interested in seeing whether we can also work Eskridge in to give Geno even more quick options.

PFF grades can be fun purely as entertainment and something to chat about. They aren't good representations of player value. Offensive scheme, defensive coverages and QB play have too much to do with downfield outcomes for any real grading to be possible outside of the Seahawks building. There are a huge number of examples of this, such as Ryan Neal's stellar PFF grade with us last season, only for him to get replaced and ultimately have to settle with a cheap FA deal.

Really though, if the thrust of this thread is on how our WR group can improve, then I would simply say we have no idea how the offense as a whole should be doing in better circumstances. I know it gets boring to talk about OL injuries and so we'd all just like to move on, but NFL offenses simply do not function well with as many OL injuries as this team has had. Hopefully the OL can actually get healthy at some point here so people can make statements about our offense that aren't just 100% speculation.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I would trade anybody for the right amount of draft picks in return, but having offensive weapons is extremely important in today's NFL and we'd be selling low. I'm more interested in seeing whether we can also work Eskridge in to give Geno even more quick options.

PFF grades can be fun purely as entertainment and something to chat about. They aren't good representations of player value. Offensive scheme, defensive coverages and QB play have too much to do with downfield outcomes for any real grading to be possible outside of the Seahawks building. There are a huge number of examples of this, such as Ryan Neal's stellar PFF grade with us last season, only for him to get replaced and ultimately have to settle with a cheap FA deal.

Really though, if the thrust of this thread is on how our WR group can improve, then I would simply say we have no idea how the offense as a whole should be doing in better circumstances. I know it gets boring to talk about OL injuries and so we'd all just like to move on, but NFL offenses simply do not function well with as many OL injuries as this team has had. Hopefully the OL can actually get healthy at some point here so people can make statements about our offense that aren't just 100% speculation.
Totally agree with you on PFF, I use them mostly due to my laziness, it's there and easy to look up. PFF's rating is subjective, but some data, like drop rate, catch % were just stats.

Interestingly, DK's stat dropped with Geno, quite a bit.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Totally agree with you on PFF, I use them mostly due to my laziness, it's there and easy to look up. PFF's rating is subjective, but some data, like drop rate, catch % were just stats.

Interestingly, DK's stat dropped with Geno, quite a bit.

DK has also been playing injured most of the season. Prior to this year, his stats with Geno were great. I remember when Geno came in for RW and it seemed like him and DK really were the only two out there some drives.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
JSN is our best YAC guy.
Yea - but I'm not legally allowed to comment on YAC, right?

Restraining order and all.

He's the best - 'cause - oh, I don't know - he 'tries'? ;)

The new guys haven't read the sparkle-fart-unicorn-candy-floss version of the receiving handbook yet. Ain't got paid.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree on Lockett, his trade value is inline with his on field contribution, both are in decline. He still have some trade value now, but not much in a year or two. In fact, Lockett would agree with me as he is actively pathing his post football career, ie realtor or real estate.

I am with Bill Walsh on trading aging stars, from his book, he preached trading aging stars a year or two too early than a year or two too late. We got GOOD value for Wilson, trading him a year or two earlier than what most 12s wanted. Pete spent private time with Bill, and he learned.
This. This. This.

Nailed it. Get some value while it's there. Not 2 years after the fact. We got younger. We got hungrier at the positions.

Don't get me wrong. JSN and Bobo are not eating anyone's lunch just quite yet. But I gotta say - yesterday was a breath of fresh air in many respects. Remember 16? "Amazing what we can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit.". Indeed.

Amazing how many touches/attempts the rest of the WR room gets when Mr. Gimmie The Ball is out for a game.

What I'm HOPING came from yesterday at minimum: An increased comfort level between Geno and JSN/Bobo. Even moderately. He said it himself "I need to find you". And yesterday he had some chances. At least they got some reps and some time.

It was nice. If we're positioned well in the offseason, and the young dudes have seasoned and gelled and stat'ed the appropriate amount - I have no problem with trading both 14 and/or 16 at the end of the season if it helps structurally, with the draft, with the QB of the future picks - etc. If it makes SENSE. I'm not saying just flush twice here at all.

That seems to be a less un-popular statement than it used to be. Get value where we can. Lose entitlement and non-competition where we can. 16's got one foot out the door anyhow. Nice performance yesterday tho.

I'm shutting up now. ;) I see a laughing emjoi being applied to this message soon ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Oh God, here come the nicknames. Mr. Gimmie the Ball? Corny AF
I swear, some of you work way too hard to make DK the team Cancer. But do you.........

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
For toffee, I love the opportunity to take a last look at Eskridge in a couple three games, if he couldn't, he's gone. If he could, figure out what he could, and evaluate if what he could justifies a roster spot.

I would be intrigued to have Eskridge as flanker, Bobo in slot, and JSN as split. Bobo and JSN can basically play each other's roles, Eskridge was playbook challenged (rumored to be a slow learner), one may not want to confuse him too much?

rcaido

Reaction score
As much as i been wanting to trade Metcalf / Lockett, the WR core is actually really good right now. I dont think Bobo & JSN is not quite ready to be on their own just yet. Our record is also 4-2 right now. If we loss to Arizona, then yeah i say start putting these two on the trading block before the deadline. At least one should go before the start of next season and i think it will be Lockett sadly.

Eskridge will probably be released.