Will Hawks keep Geno for 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
If you are driving to Tacoma and end up in Everett you turn around no matter how good of time you are making. Sack Geno. Forget about this years record and start over. The team is a tear down right now.

xray

Reaction score
I don't think it makes any difference if he stays or goes . If the Hawks are in a rebuild/transition mode ; who really cares ? The QB position will be filled by someone ; and it doesn't matter who . The only exception would be , if the Hawks somehow score a phenom QB in the draft who can start and play gr8 right away ; which seldom happens in reality . imo

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Unless his contract is completely reworked I just don't think they can keep him even if they wanted to. I quite literally don't understand this aversion to being bad for a year or two with the goal of being true contenders in 2026 similar to Detroit etc.
I think it's hard to sell an organization of winners and competitors on intentionally trying to suck. Ripping the band-aid off is one thing, trying to tank a season or two is another.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think it's hard to sell an organization of winners and competitors on intentionally trying to suck. Ripping the band-aid off is one thing, trying to tank a season or two is another.
Yeah, that won't work here. The Hawks have too much talent & a solid coaching staff in place now to tank.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm curious about the value of mentoring a young qb, as that seems to be a big motivation for those wanting to keep Geno around for a year. Is mentoring really that important? That's an interesting discussion.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He's not going to win us a sb, so I just don't see the point. Yes, he's safe. He would win some games. But it seems counterproductive to invest time and resources in a slightly above average aging qb who isn't going to take us anywhere. I would rather fail with a rookie and watch him grow and build around him. Going with Geno is playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Not exactly the way to start off a new winning culture and mindset.
The problem with this plan is that there is the potential for the rookie's confidence to be completely destroyed. As I've pointed out in several posts, not every rookie QB responds well to being thrown into the starting lineup right away.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The problem with this plan is that there is the potential for the rookie's confidence to be completely destroyed. As I've pointed out in several posts, not every rookie QB responds well to being thrown into the starting lineup right away.
Fair enough. The discussion then becomes if a cheaper one year vet is all that's needed. At some point, the rookie will have to leave the nest. 200

xray

Reaction score
The ' C J Strouds ' are very few and even farther apart .

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'm curious about the value of mentoring a young qb, as that seems to be a big motivation for those wanting to keep Geno around for a year. Is mentoring really that important? That's an interesting discussion.
People want to keep him around because there aren't a ton of good alternatives. Cutting him only saves about $13m towards the cap this year. But signing a veteran like Lock would reduce that amount.

You could start a rookie. But you're likely looking at a 5 or 6 win team at that point. They simply don't have a ton of cap flexibility to improve the roster. Which means you put more of a burden on a rookie starter.

xray

Reaction score
I think as fans , we may have to accept the reality of not having a really gr8 starting QB for awhile . There is not much we can do about that except keep the fingers crossed .

xray

Reaction score
The way things look right now in the NFC West ; is the Hawks will probably be dead last @ QB talent . Stafford-Purdy-Murray-( Smith ?) . This upcoming draft is huge for scoring a future franchise QB .

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Think about Geno in terms of that SB game we just watched vs. SF compared to Patrick Mahomes (granted tough to compare to the greatest first few seasons ever but bear with me). Geno was horrible against 3-4 defenses with disguised blitzes (SF/BAL).

Both of them have rifle arms and can make all throws.

However, Mahomes is so good at diagnosing blitzes and getting the ball out quick... running for 1st downs. Geno turns so many plays into negative plays by holding the ball or picking the wrong receiver. He's excellent in a clean pocket, and when he picks the right target, but I don't think he comes off targets very quickly and he cannot make anything happen with his legs. So, the passing stats look pretty good for Geno but I'm not sure those are perfectly indicative of a QB who tilts the field.

Could you win a SB with Geno? Maybe. If you had a coach like McVay where the progressions are easy and guys are open.. he'd be great.

When you look at big games, I feel like QBs extending plays with their legs is such an imperative quality.. Russ was never an incredible passer, but when he was so good at scrambling in the pocket, extending drives on 3rd down with his legs..etc We were soo much more difficult to beat in big games.

Patrick Mahomes JUST became the first QB ever to win a championship being paid near the top in the league.. At $50MM, you need Geno to do more than make good passes in a clean pocket. Geno does make the occasional good play where he feels the pocket and steps up, but it's not a normal occurrence.
As I've said many times, Geno is not the long term answer. He's a stop gap measure until JS/MM get "their guy" fully ready to step into the role. There are some QB's that can step in right away and their are others that can't. For something this important I'd rather not force it if it's not necessary and run the risk of shattering a young QB's confidence. The Hawks have time. There are many holes to fill to get the guys MM needs to run his schemes and a salary cap to right in order to do that. We're at least a year or two away from making a legit run.

Geno may not be Mahomes but he is at least Purdy. With the right supporting cast he could do what Brock did.

Russ was great at extending plays when protection broke down because he was quick and could get out of the pocket and see down field and either throw it or tuck it and run. But let's not forget, Russ could sling it. For a while he was considered the best deep ball passer in the league. His problem was in order to have longevity in the NFL you have to minimize the punishment from running the ball and he doesn't have the wheels he once had anyway. So Russ tried to become a pocket QB. Problem is he doesn't have the height to see over the Oline. So when the legs are no longer there for him to evade rushers and extend plays and he can't sit in the pocket and sling the ball around he becomes ordinary.

WarHawks

Reaction score
"Geno may not be Mahomes but he is at least Purdy. With the right supporting cast he could do what Brock did." I see no universe in which that is close to being true. Purdy had 4280 yds, 31td's, and had the best qb rating in the league.

xray

Reaction score
"Geno may not be Mahomes but he is at least Purdy. With the right supporting cast he could do what Brock did." I see no universe in which that is close to being true. Purdy had 4280 yds, 31td's, and had the best qb rating in the league.
Geno isn't Mahomes ; but could be Purdy ? :)

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Purdy had a better Oline than Geno and Geno did throw for 4282 yards and 30 TD's in 2022-23. I'm not saying Geno is great but he can be solid like Purdy. I'm just not convinced you can win a SB with either.

Parallax

Reaction score
Geno stays another year all while we draft one this year to sit and lean. Anyone thinking or arguing Geno was somehow viewed as our QB of the future is will out of touch. Transitional from the very moment of his contract breakdown. All while many are trashing on Geno even though playing at/or above any QB thats at his pay scale. Geno was by far not our glaring weakness by far.
It's not "trashing on Geno" to opine that he's not particularly good and not worth holding onto. There's no hatred in that. No slander. It's simple analysis. You are welcome to disagree but don't disparage those of us who feel that way as driven by irrational emotion because that mischaracterizes our motives.

Parallax

Reaction score
Cutting him only saves $13.8m on the cap. At that point you still don't have a QB under contract.

Do you bring back Lock for $7-8m on a one year deal? What's the plan? Other than drafting someone & having them start week one?
That may be what it saves in 2024. It saves a heck of a lot more in 2025. The Geno supporters need to get their focus off our 2024 record and reorient around a longer-term picture in which the Seahawks attempt to unburden themselves from underperforming contracts so they can go in new directions.

Parallax

Reaction score
Purdy had a better Oline than Geno and Geno did throw for 4282 yards and 30 TD's in 2022-23. I'm not saying Geno is great but he can be solid like Purdy. I'm just not convinced you can win a SB with either.
San Francisco may win a Superbowl yet with Purdy but they have an incredible team around him. Plus, while Purdy may have a similar arm and wheels as Geno, he processes much better most of the time. He's on a rookie contract. A really cheap rookie contract. They're not overpaying for Purdy. We are overpaying for Geno if we keep him.

Last edited:

Parallax

Reaction score
If you are driving to Tacoma and end up in Everett you turn around no matter how good of time you are making. Sack Geno. Forget about this years record and start over. The team is a tear down right now.
Well, I'd be driving from Bellingham so I'd kind of have to go through Everett. Just sayin' . . .