Fades Take on Seahawks Culture with this Hire

Who would you rather Have coaching the Seahawks, right now? And why?

• Total voters

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What Fade doesn't seem to understand is that two things can be true at the same time. You can be stoked about the new hire and all that comes with it, the changes etc. AND you can appreciate what Pete did here for 14 years. Both can actually exist. Imagine that.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
What Fade doesn't seem to understand is that two things can be true at the same time. You can be stoked about the new hire and all that comes with it, the changes etc. AND you can appreciate what Pete did here for 6 years. Both can actually exist. Imagine that.
Fixed it so it is more accurate.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It's possible to appreciate all 14 years. Floor of the team was raised, and anyone should be able to acknowledge that. Ceiling is what was in question.
Valid point. I found the last 7-8 years to be more aggravating then anything. The on the field product was not entertaining to me and the culture was eroding.

BASF

Reaction score
Keasley45 covered most of what I was going to say. I will add that Carroll brought the fresh innovative defense when he was hired. Teams copied it. The league changed rules to where it was not going to be as effective.

Also food for thought for all of the people that continue to take shots at Pete Carroll. He will be in the hall of fame. How many hall of fame coaches have as pathetic a coaching tree as Pete Carroll? He has been very successful while hiring poor coaches for years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Valid point. I found the last 7-8 years to be more aggravating then anything. The on the field product was not entertaining to me and the culture was eroding.
Yeah. That's fair. At some point, every season not ending the way we want it to has to change.

I was willing to rock with Pete in spite of it, conditionally. Just because I think he's still got something. But he wouldn't have done anything ever again if he really wasn't going to take some drastic action this offseason.

Love him to death for his loyalty and mindset of developing his guys by sticking by them, but whew. Another season of Hurtt would've driven me past my limit, and my limit is clearly beyond that of most others here when it comes to Pete.

I hope to see him raise the flag and whatnot and really want to see him possibly go to the college game. Go to a not-too-big, not-too-small program and change the lives of some young bucks.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
New coach hired less than 48 hours - “Quit talking about the Coach we just fired! Waaaaaaaahhhhhh! ******* hell man. The bitching about the people that think PC has stunk for awhile is far more annoying than a few people who want to talk about how PC has stunk for a while.

some want to talk about it. Just combine it all into one Pete Stinks mega thread and then the whiners can avoid it Or go to the one thread to whine about it. Suppressing it just means it’ll find its way into the comments of most threads.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
From what I have read and seen about Macdonald, he is a heavy communicator with his players. He said the biggest thing he learned from Jim Harbaugh was the importance of loving your players and showing care about them.

He may not be rah-rah Pete...nobody is. But to say he is the opposite is blatantly false and taints the entire post.

I can be excited about Macdonald and appreciate Pete at the same time.

Puleassse get over yourself and stop communicating your disdain for the guy who brought us a SB. It paints such a whiney negative aura around you.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He will after one loss...
This is his game.

If Macdonald fails, he'll get to say "See! I told you! Offensive HC only!" and if he succeeds he'll say "See! I told you! It's because they went with Pete's OPPOSITE and also gave Pete the finger!"

It all funnels into an eventual "I told you so" and ignores all of the red-hot wrong takes along the way.

Aircrew

Reaction score
And it is an incredible thing. John Schneider hired a Jim/Jon Harbaugh disciple completely opposite of what Pete Carroll is.

-Pete Carroll is the oldest coach. Mike Macdonald is the youngest.

-Pete had an antiquated scheme. Mike has a cutting edge, modern scheme that adapts to the players.

-Pete is exuberant. Mike is reserved.

-Pete is rah rah. Mike is about the x's and o's.

-Pete does less with more. Mike does more with less.

-Pete will smoke anybody at a press conference. Mike will be bland and boring.

-Pete was sloppy on the details. Mike is all about the details.

-Pete has to have his hand in every pie. Mike will focus on just being the coach.

John got the #1 Defensive Coaching candidate available. If you were looking to hire a defensive Head Coach this was the guy everyone wanted. And John landed him. Impressive. John probably wanted Ben Johnson more, but if he doesn't want to leave there is nothing you can do about that.

This is a win-win hire long term. As either, he will be a hit and shutdown McShanahan, -or- he will be mediocre, and will be moved off from in a couple years for an offensive HC. Right about that time when you're looking for your young and talented QB already drafted or about to be drafted needs help. This is a great way to think about it, they are taking a shot and giving defense one last try, if it works, it works. If it don't, well… No one in the league will be employing defensive head coaches at that point. And Seattle will go offensive HC as well.

I think Mike Macdonald will be a success at fixing the defense, and I expect them to take a big leap in yr 1. The 1100lb Gorilla in the room, as John even brought up in his presser is, now you will be playing musical chairs at OC and that can do a number on a young QB. This will be Mike Macdonald's biggest challenge. Is pairing an offensive coach with his QB--who is good, but not good enough to get hired away.

This hire is a slap in Pete's face as he is a Harbaugh disciple as mentioned earlier, severing all ties with Pete. They are not keeping the same culture, but pivoting in a new direction entirely. The only contribution Pete could make at this point to the football team is audition for head cheerleader.

I give this hire an A-

It fixes the defensive coaching issues they were having for years, and are modernizing across the board which is exciting! But you still face potential issues on offense by having a defensive HC, which are getting harder to solve without just having, straight up--An OFFENSIVE HC. 11 of 14 teams that made the playoffs were lead by offensive HCs. Only 2 were defensive (PITT & BUF)(BAL Special Teams) A defensive HC hasn't made the SuperBowl since Bill Belichick, which feels like a long time ago.

The Seahawks are one of the best run franchises in the league. The future is bright!
Nice post, what I would describe as a good "10,000 foot" perspective of the situation.

Mase

Reaction score
- Some of the bullet points from the original post are correct, like one guy is 72 and the other is 36. Beyond that, it shows a complete lack of understanding of what a culture is. Pete is a person, NOT A CULTURE. Anyone who understands culture knows the person at the top does not even have to reflect the culture they are trying to create, because it isn't about them, it is about the environment they create. They just have to encourage it. Pete was never trying to get players to run up and down the sideline chewing gum. He just wanted them to feel seen and respected. MacDonald does not have to do any of that jumping around, or constant positivity to the media, he can be quiet and reserved. But as long as he maintains that positive environment and embraces the players as grown men, then the CULTURE stays the same.

- I'm sorry that doesn't fit the bash Pete narrative, but learn what a word means, or pick a different word.

Mase

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I’m
I think it's way better to have an offensive-minded head coach in today's NFL. But McDonald has such a good record and reputation, it was worth taking a chance on him. I consider it a good hire but I think there's a risk. Of course that's true with any new head coach.
It might be better to have an offensive minded coach in todays nfl but what about next weeks? Four months? A year?

The read option was a thing for a while. It had its time. Fads are fads. Retract back and forth like smashmouth says.

I think it’s a perfect time to get a young defensive coach. And if you don’t you might as well be walking on the sun