Will Hawks keep Geno for 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
From HC to OC and DC, new regime is in place. Will Geno be cut or traded? Geno tried hard in the last few weeks of 2023 to make a case for himself, but has he impressed the new regime?

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
We will know by close of business tomorrow.
That’s certainly the cleanest, but I’ve seen the argument that trading him results in the same savings if done early enough.

Not without risk if the market for a mid-tier, aging QB doesn’t manifest.

keasley45

Reaction score
From HC to OC and DC, new regime is in place. Will Geno be cut or traded? Geno tried hard in the last few weeks of 2023 to make a case for himself, but has he impressed the new regime?

For all the talk of his regression last year, there isnt much chatter about how well he finished down the stretch this year.

I think he gives us the best chance to maximize our potential right now. Sure, you could draft Penix or whoever else, but is that guy going to take you further than Geno could this year? And what other realistically available free agent QB is going to take you further than him and cost the same or less?

Bringing in a K Cousins might be an upgrade, but at a cost.

Trading him... ? Yeah. You could trade him for a 3rd. And then the guy you take with that 3rd pick is on a team that's pretty certain to again, not get much further than thr one last year of it doesn't have a qb capable of maximizing the potential of the offense.

keasley45

Reaction score

James in PA

Reaction score
There just don't seem to be any realistic better options at this point in time via the draft, trade, or FA. I would be shocked if he weren't our week 1 starter. It's kind of frustrating, but you can't make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
He'll be back.
I just don't see another QB who can just walk in & conceivably take us further than Geno that doesn't put us in cap hell for years.
I'd have no issue with the team drafting a guy like Penix & giving him a year to learn behind Geno & Lock ala Mahomes in KC.

Jac

Reaction score
I’m indifferent. He’ll have to prove it next year if he plans to stick around for when this team ascends into their window. We still may draft a rookie that makes him the designated placeholder.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
By Bob CondottaSeattle Times

His contract runs through 2025, but it contains no more guaranteed money, and the Seahawks could get out of it now if they want.

Whether they do will be revealed Feb. 16.

If Smith remains on Seattle’s roster on that date, his base salary of $12.7 million for the 2024 season becomes guaranteed. Smith is also due a $9.6 million bonus if he is on the roster on March 18. If Smith’s base salary is guaranteed, that would be a strong indicator that the Seahawks expect him to be the starter in 2024. If Smith receives the roster bonus, that would guarantee they expect him to start.

Smith could have been due up to $15 million more in 2024 had he hit incentives in 2023 related to passing touchdowns, completion percentage and passer rating.

Smith, however, didn’t hit any of them – the two games he missed because of injury are one reason. His touchdown passes decreased from 30 in 2022 to 20 to in 2023, yards from 4,282 to 3,624, completion percentage from 69.8% to 64.7%, and rating from 100.9 to 92.1.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The QB draft class this year is much deeper than next year. I think they need to make a move now for the QB of the future. Then keep Geno just for one year to get the new QB up to speed.

WarHawks

Reaction score
He's not going to win us a sb, so I just don't see the point. Yes, he's safe. He would win some games. But it seems counterproductive to invest time and resources in a slightly above average aging qb who isn't going to take us anywhere. I would rather fail with a rookie and watch him grow and build around him. Going with Geno is playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Not exactly the way to start off a new winning culture and mindset.

JPatera76

Reaction score
they might get rid of him.. and then sign him again to another team friendly deal tbh. JS done that in the past.

Also i feel it seems like people forget that Geno... had an Oline that was quite literally playing musical chairs each game.. and then in the middle of the games.

Last edited:

lukerguy

Reaction score
Think about Geno in terms of that SB game we just watched vs. SF compared to Patrick Mahomes (granted tough to compare to the greatest first few seasons ever but bear with me). Geno was horrible against 3-4 defenses with disguised blitzes (SF/BAL).

Both of them have rifle arms and can make all throws.

However, Mahomes is so good at diagnosing blitzes and getting the ball out quick... running for 1st downs. Geno turns so many plays into negative plays by holding the ball or picking the wrong receiver. He's excellent in a clean pocket, and when he picks the right target, but I don't think he comes off targets very quickly and he cannot make anything happen with his legs. So, the passing stats look pretty good for Geno but I'm not sure those are perfectly indicative of a QB who tilts the field.

Could you win a SB with Geno? Maybe. If you had a coach like McVay where the progressions are easy and guys are open.. he'd be great.

When you look at big games, I feel like QBs extending plays with their legs is such an imperative quality.. Russ was never an incredible passer, but when he was so good at scrambling in the pocket, extending drives on 3rd down with his legs..etc We were soo much more difficult to beat in big games.

Patrick Mahomes JUST became the first QB ever to win a championship being paid near the top in the league.. At $50MM, you need Geno to do more than make good passes in a clean pocket. Geno does make the occasional good play where he feels the pocket and steps up, but it's not a normal occurrence.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The roster bonus date is the date to watch. I think it's March 18th. We know John is patient, and that a lot of talks happen at the combine.