• Yes

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

renofox

Reaction score
That's not true.

The cap savings is just $13.8m should he be released or traded.

The team would save $22.5m in cash (salary). But that amount does not figure into the cap. As he would still have a $17.4m cap hit (Dead cap) on the books.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/geno-smith-12320/

There is no option for a June 1st designation. So, the full $17.4m would count towards the cap this year.
Dead money is irrelevant - it is money paid in prior years that will hit the cap no matter what. 8.7M in each of 2024 and 2025 is for money already paid. 2025 will accelerate into 2024 without a post-6/1 designation.

In the case of acceleration, a further 8.7M will be saved in 2025 because it hit the cap in 2024 instead.

No matter how you look at it, his 22.5M salary/bonus will not hit the cap if it is not paid. Hence, 22.5M is his cost for this year and 22.5M can be saved on cap in 2024 and 2025 if he is released or traded in a timely manner, as I stated.

I have no idea why people find this simple fact to be so confusing.

edit p.s.: If he is traded between 3/14 and 3/16 the post-6/1 designation van be used - cap savings 22.5M in 2024 and -0- in 2025. Without post-6/1 13.8M in 2024 and 8.7M in 2025 for a total of, you guessed it, 22.5M.

Cut now? 13.8M in 2024 and 8.7M in 2025 for a total of, you guessed it, 22.5M.

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Dead money is irrelevant - it is money paid in prior years that will hit the cap no matter what. 8.7M in each of 2024 and 2025 is for money already paid. 2025 will accelerate into 2024 without a post-6/1 designation.

In the case of acceleration, a further 8.7M will be saved in 2025 because it hit the cap in 2024 instead.

No matter how you look at it, his 22.5M salary/bonus will not hit the cap if it is not paid. Hence, 22.5M is his cost for this year and 22.5M can be saved on cap in 2024 and 2025 if he is released or traded in a timely manner, as I stated.

I have no idea why people find this simple fact to be so confusing.

edit p.s.: If he is traded between 3/14 and 3/16 the post-6/1 designation van be used - cap savings 22.5M in 2024 and -0- in 2025. Without post-6/1 13.8M in 2024 and 8.7M in 2025 for a total of, you guessed it, 22.5M.

Cut now? 13.8M in 2024 and 8.7M in 2025 for a total of, you guessed it, 22.5M.
The only value to be had in not cutting him now would be from the particulars of any trade.

Do we get only draft picks?
Does the team getting him pay any portion of his contract?

renofox

Reaction score
The only value to be had in not cutting him now would be from the particulars of any trade.

Do we get only draft picks?
Does the team getting him pay any portion of his contract?
Releasing is no longer an option - it would be throwing away 12.7M for nothing.

If traded 3/14-3/16, the 12.7 guaranteed would be paid for by the other team. If still on the roster 3/17, his 9.6M roster bonus would be paid by the Seahawks which means he is here for the season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Whether YOU accept it or not has no bearing on it being the truth.

PFF has him as #9 (just behind CJ Stroud):
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-...kings-lamar-jackson-dak-prescott-lead-the-way

NFL.com has him at #18 (just behind Justin Herbert):
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-ind...-starting-quarterbacks-at-the-end-of-th-x3120

CBS Sports has him at #13 (behind Jared Goff):
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-top-five-lamar-jackson-brock-purdy-lead-way/

ESPN has him at #14 (behind Jalen Hurts):
https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Whichever way you wanna go with these rankings, they all point to one inescapable thing and that is Geno is an above average QB in the NFL. He may not be great, he may not be the future, he may not even be the starter in Seattle next season but he is above average.
Once factoring in the OL, Geno's ranking definitely will move up a few notches.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I understand but hate that he is going to still be here for at least another year but to release him at this point of the draft cycle is a huge tell to everyone on what we are targeting and honestly we have to improve our OL and defense immediately if we want to be relevant anyway.

It's not like we are likely to be in the playoffs or a serious contender in 2024 anyway. So maybe we get lucky and get someone like Rattler or whoever in the 3rd round or so and see what happens.

Parallax

Reaction score
This seems like total speculation on this guys part
I don't think so. Schefter is well connected. Those hints don't come out of nowhere. He's essentially saying the Hawks weren't letting him go for nothing but they're open to offers. He didn't necessarily say they're not open to keeping him if they don't get a good enough offer. On that point, we don't know. They clearly think he's worth $13M for some team. I don't know if they think he's worth $23M to us. They could also ask Geno to renegotiate that roster bonus if he prefers to not be traded. But I'd be surprised if they just anoint him the starter without opening a real competition. Geno's pal, Pete Carroll, is gone.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think so. Schefter is well connected. Those hints don't come out of nowhere. He's essentially saying the Hawks weren't letting him go for nothing but they're open to offers. He didn't necessarily say they're not open to keeping him if they don't get a good enough offer. On that point, we don't know. They clearly think he's worth $13M for some team. I don't know if they think he's worth $23M to us. They could also ask Geno to renegotiate that roster bonus if he prefers to not be traded. But I'd be surprised if they just anoint him the starter without opening a real competition. Geno's pal, Pete Carroll, is gone.
It does require quite a bit of reading between the lines to come away with the conclusion that Geno is being actively shopped from those tweets. I'm sure they'll listen to offers, but shopping is a stretch.

Also, John did push back a bit on Geno being a "Pete guy" today.

Parallax

Reaction score
It does require quite a bit of reading between the lines to come away with the conclusion that Geno is being actively shopped from those tweets. I'm sure they'll listen to offers, but shopping is a stretch.

Also, John did push back a bit on Geno being a "Pete guy" today.

View attachment 65021
To me, this falls under "What do you expect him to say?" "I was Pete's boot licker."?

I'm sure they worked together but the ultimate call was always Pete's. If you watch Pete's last press conference, it's clear the shift was significant. "It's your team now."

We don't know how differently Schneider will do things on his own. The coaching search was encouraging. That was as un-Pete-like as it gets. Deliberate, measured and daring. Really well thought out. Willing to take risk but based on smart assumptions.

We'll see how things go in terms of roster management, the draft and the like. If they keep overpaying favored veterans, overpaying free agents and wasting draft capital, we'll know John was part of the problem. I expect we'll see a team far more intelligently managed. I think we'll be continuing to draft based on best talent available rather than for need. I think we'll stay away from flashy free agents and look for bargains. I think we'll be careful in who we sign, who we extend and how much we pay. But I could be wrong. Hopefully retaining Geno wasn't the first sign that I'm way off base.